U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-29-2009, 09:27 AM

3,850 posts, read 6,839,628 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, hoping you can help me out. I have a lot of items that I want to sell. Clothes, jewelry (real stuff!), exercise equip., books, handbags.
What's the best, and perhaps quickest way to sell it?
My friend suggests Craigslist. I would like to open up an E-store. Has anyone ever done that?
I don't want to deal with Ebay and auctions, etc. I'd just like to sell this stuff. It's gathering dust in storage and I'm not using it. The things I have are of great quality and practically still brand new or used once.
and if anyone has tips on an online store, I'd really appreciate it!! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 11:17 AM

2,658 posts, read 10,568,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sportsfangal View Post
Hey guys, hoping you can help me out. I have a lot of items that I want to sell. Clothes, jewelry (real stuff!), exercise equip., books, handbags.
What's the best, and perhaps quickest way to sell it?
My friend suggests Craigslist. I would like to open up an E-store. Has anyone ever done that?
I don't want to deal with Ebay and auctions, etc. I'd just like to sell this stuff. It's gathering dust in storage and I'm not using it. The things I have are of great quality and practically still brand new or used once.
and if anyone has tips on an online store, I'd really appreciate it!! Thanks!
The most cost effective method is Craigslist since you don't pay for ads or a commission. Ebay, other auction sites and Amazon marketplace charge a percent of your proceeds or a flat rate. They do have the ability to mediate between the seller and buyer if there are issues.

The only problem I see with Craigslist, and time is money, is that you have to meet the person to sell the item - make sure you are receiving cash or hope that they are not there to rob you.

If you sell something (and I know, since I am the ultimate consumer of products), take a bunch of pictures of your item. Make sure that they are clear (not blurry) and that there multiple angles of your products.

Exercise equipment is easier sold locally due to shipping costs. You can look for 'resellers' like Play it Again Sports ( Play It Again Sports || Store Locations ) or even put it on Consignment. The other stuff can be sold by mail.

Clothes are better off sold at Consignment shops than by some ad. I have purchased clothes from Consignment stores but never bought used clothes from some ad or ebay site.

Old 02-03-2009, 03:20 PM

21,264 posts, read 39,815,813 times
Ebay seems more like a yardsale these days, nobody wants to pay anything, they all seem to think these items should be free. I use ebay but find it tedious to use.

I recently sold a TV in one day on Craigslist (CL). I priced it to sell ($100) and had 3 people inquire. The first guy got the tv and I got his $100 - cash only, no checks. Paypal would do too, but I wouldn't bother with it.

Many cities have local yahoo lists for buy/sell stuff (like they do for Freecycle) but CL seems the quickest bet. I sold some suits and my old tuxedo on one of these lists, but these yahoo lists are very limited in readership. CL is wide open for the whole city to see.

I tried to sell a gorgeous solid cherry roll top desk for $200 on CL and only got one half hearted inquiry. Shame, people lost out on a great piece. I put it in a furniture consignment shop and got $400 for it. My gain, someone else's loss. Even splitting things with the shop owner, I came out ahead over my CL ad. Just an ad in the local newspaper would've cost me $80 for a weekend - ain't no way!

Clothing doesn't sell well on ebay unless you have something killer like a leather jacket. My wife sold none of her excess items on the local yahoo list, so we took all of hers and my unsold items to Goodwill and let it go.

These days, I'm so frustrated with my local FreeCycle list that I quit it. Half the people who ask for things never show up, and the moderators on our local list are such dweebs it isn't funny, they hopelessly over-manage it.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:01 PM

2,784 posts, read 5,398,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike from back east View Post
Ebay seems more like a yardsale these days, nobody wants to pay anything, they all seem to think these items should be free. I use ebay but find it tedious to use.

I recently sold a TV in one day on Craigslist (CL). I priced it to sell ($100) and had 3 people inquire. The first guy got the tv and I got his $100 - cash only, no checks. Paypal would do too, but I wouldn't bother with it.

Many cities have local yahoo lists for buy/sell stuff (like they do for Freecycle) but CL seems the quickest bet. I sold some suits and my old tuxedo on one of these lists, but these yahoo lists are very limited in readership. CL is wide open for the whole city to see.

I tried to sell a gorgeous solid cherry roll top desk for $200 on CL and only got one half hearted inquiry. Shame, people lost out on a great piece. I put it in a furniture consignment shop and got $400 for it. My gain, someone else's loss. Even splitting things with the shop owner, I came out ahead over my CL ad. Just an ad in the local newspaper would've cost me $80 for a weekend - ain't no way!

Clothing doesn't sell well on ebay unless you have something killer like a leather jacket. My wife sold none of her excess items on the local yahoo list, so we took all of hers and my unsold items to Goodwill and let it go.

These days, I'm so frustrated with my local FreeCycle list that I quit it. Half the people who ask for things never show up, and the moderators on our local list are such dweebs it isn't funny, they hopelessly over-manage it.
Mike..I have tried to use Freecycle. Like yourself, I found it frustrating and not worth the effort.

Old 02-03-2009, 04:29 PM

4,361 posts, read 6,539,825 times
Craigslist without a doubt. Be sure to follow their protocol. Cash only! Never, never, checks. Try to feel prospective buyers out via emails. Get phone number and verify. VERIFY! Always meet at a well attended location, daytime is preferred. If the item is too big and you must allow the buyer to come to you home make sure you have someone with you. Never alone! If you do bring people into your home make sure the stay together and are not looking around, (casing the place). That being said, I have sold a lot of items with craigslist by both meeting people and having them come to my home and I have never had a problem. Still it only takes one time, so exercise good judgment.
Don

Old 02-08-2009, 11:07 PM

18,288 posts, read 20,808,233 times
CL isn't much help if you live in a rural area sadly. Local online lists don't get much traffic plus if you are in an area that is slow because of the economy you will find many trying to sell things to raise cash. Essentially more sellers than buyers.

OP good luck with whatever you choose to do!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products