Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-04-2009, 06:32 PM

17 posts, read 233,208 times

Advertisements

An espresso machine we bought at Costco has stopped functioning in a little under a year. We like the machine, were hoping it was just a lemon, and hoped to do an exchange for the same item. Costco advised us to return the machine and purchase a new one. The problem is, when we bought this item it was on sale for $349 and it is now selling for $479. Looking in the Costco catalog I see the machine there, same name, same specs, same everything. But apparently, the customer service rep, informs me, a different model number. Because it has a different model number, the rep describes it as a "completely different machine," despite the fact I can see that, where name, construction and specs are concerned, it is identical. My suspicion is the only difference is this is a machine from the second batch made, whereas we bought one from the first batch--something like that. But because it is a different model number the rep says they cannot refund the difference, we'd have to pay the $130 to get the same machine after returning this one. I asked if I could be connected to a manager who could authorize such a decision, but the rep claimed no matter who I talked to I'd get the same reply: that's Costco policy.

Wondering if anyone has ever dealt with a similar situation and knows if there is any way to get an exchange approved under these circumstances? I am willing to contact someone else and try to escalate the issue, if that is possible; but am not sure who would be the appropriate contact at this point or what my next move should be.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by swerl; 02-04-2009 at 06:45 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-04-2009, 07:32 PM

496 posts, read 1,251,263 times
no, but then tell him to get you the exact same one or refund the entire amount you spent. then take your business elsewhere

Old 02-05-2009, 12:44 PM

24,463 posts, read 25,999,509 times
Is this the machine?

Costco - Saeco Spidem Villa Silver Espresso Machine

Note the 1 year warranty.

Normally Costco has a very good return policy.

Old 02-05-2009, 01:14 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Look at their return policy and see if it has a same or eqaul clause in it. Otherwise ask for a refund.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:55 AM

1,270 posts, read 5,208,622 times
That Costco would even refund anything after a YEAR indicates they have great customer service! The warranty is not through Costco-it is through the manufacturer. Contact the manufacturer and see if they will repair or replace it. I pay my membership to Costco-I hope I am not financing people returning things a year later.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:28 AM

13,404 posts, read 28,726,919 times
Costco's return policy is excellent....most stores will NOT take back an item after 30 days..if it has a problem you have to go through the manufactuer

Old 02-06-2009, 07:39 AM

394 posts, read 1,049,118 times
Costco has always been easy to deal with - for us. I agree, check with the manufacturer.

Old 02-06-2009, 09:51 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,221,658 times
i believe OP mentioned it was a little under 1 year - if so, check with the mfg warranty

i had a refrigerator with best buy (terrible place for returns) and had their warranty as well ......... was fairly broke and bought the floor model - thing was a complete lemon, BB was willing to do a prorated portion of the discounted value to apply to a new refrigerator (first repair man out commented on how it looked like there was prior work on the machine and it wasn't in factory shape)

thankfully it was still under LG warranty and since the model was discontinued they sent me the replacement model free of cost and took the lemon off my hands for me ...... it took about a month to get it from the east coast warehouse to AZ, but didn't cost me a dime through them - great service

costco does do a good job standing by their products - they used to take any product at pretty much anytime it quit working on a return ........ i know they about a year ago they started to limit items like TVs to 2 years coverage

Old 02-06-2009, 10:05 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,369,692 times
According to the policy currently listed on the website, "We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell with a full refund." In this case, it's not their fault that the price of the product from the manufacturer went up. Many people were returning electronics, which had prices that were dropping, so they could buy the new items for less. So for some electronics the policy is only 90 days.

If you don't want the refund, then return it to the manufacturer under warranty.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:17 PM

17 posts, read 233,208 times
Thanks to everybody who replied.

I am aware of the manufacturer's warranty, as I have been periodically in contact with the manufacturer since purchasing the machine. The machine has periodically stopped brewing espresso; each time the manufacturer has suggested something to try which has temporarily resolved the problem. But last time I called I was told nothing could be done at this point except send the machine in for repair. Since the problem is recurring (and this time a new problem, with the water dispenser, cropped up at the same time it stopped brewing espresso) I am afraid I may have a lemon; this is why I wanted to take advantage of Costco's return policy, and was hoping it would be possible to make an exchange for the same product. I have had products that were lemons before, and dealing with the manufacturers has always been a complicated, stressful experience, and replacement of the product was always pushed off to the farthest possible date, with a great deal of inconvenience to me in the meantime. It is a repeat of that situation I was hoping to avoid. I know there is a chance the machine will be returned to me fixed and never have a problem again; that's what I'm hoping for. But I am concerned about what I will do should the problem recur at a later date, after being returned to my by the manufacturer, since my warranty is about to expire.

Supposing that should happen, what recourse, if any, would I have?

Last edited by swerl; 02-06-2009 at 10:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products