U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2009, 12:01 AM

4,552 posts, read 13,576,916 times

Advertisements

My friend works at Wal-Mart so I hear all the stories about that place, at least once a week she is called a B***h and usually has rude comments made about her or her coworkers when they cant take something back that the customer wants to return. I can now understand the rudeness that Wal-Mart gives off. I hate Wal-Mart by the way.

anyways...........a few days ago a white lady walks up to the checkout line where a hispanic lady was working and asked her if she could have someone white ring her up, so another girl(white) walks up there all happy and polite and helps this lady out and then the manager thinks nothing of it and says that basically if any associate wanted to stand up for themselves that they would've been in trouble.

well today on the radio this incident was brought up and now they are suing Wal-Mart and Wal Mart is trying to keep this quiet. I hope this gets out.

What do you think of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-09-2009, 12:55 AM

1,218 posts, read 3,686,665 times
I used to work retail--the worst profession on God's earth--next to call centers.

I was in management, if ANYONE had ever said such a thing to me, I would have thrown them out of the store. And the thing is...during training, we were TOLD to accommodate the customer's wish in a situation exactly like this! This was 25 years ago at Toys 'R Us. I couldn't believe it. I never had it happen. I always felt that if it had happened and I responded appropriately and was terminated, the media would come down like a ton of bricks on the employer which I believe would happen today. Unfortunately, people are sheep.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:07 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,430,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
anyways...........a few days ago a white lady walks up to the checkout line where a hispanic lady was working and asked her if she could have someone white ring her up
ummmm.... Hispanics ARE white.

Old 02-09-2009, 07:46 AM

973 posts, read 2,998,796 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
My friend works at Wal-Mart so I hear all the stories about that place, at least once a week she is called a B***h and usually has rude comments made about her or her coworkers when they cant take something back that the customer wants to return. I can now understand the rudeness that Wal-Mart gives off. I hate Wal-Mart by the way.

anyways...........a few days ago a white lady walks up to the checkout line where a hispanic lady was working and asked her if she could have someone white ring her up, so another girl(white) walks up there all happy and polite and helps this lady out and then the manager thinks nothing of it and says that basically if any associate wanted to stand up for themselves that they would've been in trouble.

well today on the radio this incident was brought up and now they are suing Wal-Mart and Wal Mart is trying to keep this quiet. I hope this gets out.

What do you think of this?
The Wal-Mart that is close to my home seems to attract a significant number of rude and loudmouth people. These customers are predominently black and Hispanic. I can't even begin to describe the atmosphere in a positive or friendly way and am often floored at how rude & hateful these people are to the staff, who are also mostly black and Hispanic. Several of the staff members are unprofessional and rude as well.

Maybe the cashier was a little snot to her on a previous visit. Who knows. At the store I go to, people seems to expect that kind of thing from the staff. I would venture that the word B**CH crosses a lot of peoples minds when dealing with them.

That being said, nasty behavior crosses ALL social and ethnic lines. Whites no more corner the market on racism than blacks corner the market on low class, loudmouth behavior.

Old 02-09-2009, 08:37 AM

431 posts, read 1,522,944 times
the wal-mart near me is of poor quality. but it is no wonder that the employees are so angry once you see and hear how wal-mart treats them. I prefer to shop at other stores for many reasons and this is just one of them.

Old 02-09-2009, 11:16 AM

15,566 posts, read 36,927,042 times
My mom used to work in retail and had worked at WalMart and Lowes. She couldn't stand the customers because they were so rude and hateful. She may have had the only cash register open in the store and a line would be backed up, but management would not open another register so all these unhappy people who had to wait in line would blast my mom with their intense anger because they had to wait in line. It wasn't her fault - she was just doing her job. Management tries to get away with doing the least amount of work possible so they can maximize their year end bonuses.

Also, she would have customers constantly trying to tell her things were on sale when they weren't, or they would switch price tags, and when she rang up the item and it didn't match the price tag, they would get mad at her. People are brazen idiots!

Old 02-09-2009, 11:22 AM

14,137 posts, read 19,294,893 times
you know walmart has been running mom and pop businesses out of small town america for years . I think people should really make an effort to patronize their local small town businesses because they were around before wal mart . I hate the way walmart comes into a town and runs mom and pop out of business . I think it is time for all little towns to say no to wal mart or you wont have a main street with local businesses . I for one hate wal mart and avoid it like the plague .

Old 02-09-2009, 12:43 PM

4,552 posts, read 13,576,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
The Wal-Mart that is close to my home seems to attract a significant number of rude and loudmouth people. These customers are predominently black and Hispanic. I can't even begin to describe the atmosphere in a positive or friendly way and am often floored at how rude & hateful these people are to the staff, who are also mostly black and Hispanic. Several of the staff members are unprofessional and rude as well.

Maybe the cashier was a little snot to her on a previous visit. Who knows. At the store I go to, people seems to expect that kind of thing from the staff. I would venture that the word B**CH crosses a lot of peoples minds when dealing with them.

That being said, nasty behavior crosses ALL social and ethnic lines. Whites no more corner the market on racism than blacks corner the market on low class, loudmouth behavior.

all Im saying is that it was very rude and disrespectful to walk up to someone and tell them that they want a white person to ring them up, she can hate hispanics all she wants but she dosent have to be disrespectful and hurt the feelings of that hispanic girl like that, she still hasnt been to work since that day.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:03 PM

494 posts, read 1,128,054 times
oh just avoid wal mart. there are so many reasons i don't shop at wal mart.

Old 02-09-2009, 01:49 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,430,824 times
me too... they don't get a dime of my money
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products