U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2009, 08:36 AM

603 posts, read 1,442,116 times
Default should I sell my waterford crytstal?

I've been married for a few years and we have never used some waterford crystal bowls (not a set-just decorative bowls of various shapes and sizes) given to us as wedding gifts. We are getting ready to move and wouldn't mind some extra cash and I had this guilty idea of selling these bowls on eBay or Craigslist. We are trying to clear out some clutter before putting the house on the market. What do people do with these bowls? Do you think we'll use them when we move to a bigger house (ours is small, no dining room to display such things in a china cabinet)? I'm not a big collector person. I do think they are pretty but not sure if they're even my kind of style-I think when I look at them I think they look kind of grandma-ish. Will my tastes change as I get older or if I haven't fallen in love with them now, I probably won't appreciate them. I hope I don't sound ungrateful; I know they were a wedding gift and I am thankful that people thought this would be something nice for us. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2009, 10:32 AM

15,206 posts, read 24,835,064 times
If they're not your cup of tea and you'll never use them, go ahead and sell them. Nobody has to know. I too have a bunch of stuff I don't want. My mom used to get me vases and crap - stuff that SHE likes. I've been cleaning things out and I have a lot of stuff I'm going to donate to thrift shops.

Old 02-12-2009, 04:09 PM

9,718 posts, read 3,989,143 times
I have had my Waterford for years and it does sit in my china cabinet. Looks pretty but rarely use it. I read that Waterford was filing for bankruptcy so you might want to hold on to them a little while longer. They might be worth a lot more

Old 02-12-2009, 10:35 PM

2,620 posts, read 7,398,202 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
I've been married for a few years and we have never used some waterford crystal bowls (not a set-just decorative bowls of various shapes and sizes) given to us as wedding gifts. We are getting ready to move and wouldn't mind some extra cash and I had this guilty idea of selling these bowls on eBay or Craigslist. We are trying to clear out some clutter before putting the house on the market. What do people do with these bowls? Do you think we'll use them when we move to a bigger house (ours is small, no dining room to display such things in a china cabinet)? I'm not a big collector person. I do think they are pretty but not sure if they're even my kind of style-I think when I look at them I think they look kind of grandma-ish. Will my tastes change as I get older or if I haven't fallen in love with them now, I probably won't appreciate them. I hope I don't sound ungrateful; I know they were a wedding gift and I am thankful that people thought this would be something nice for us. What do you think?
First, if you have a bad mover, and you are concerned about them getting damaged, then sell it. I had awful movers who destroyed almost $2k worth of stuff, including some souvenirs from Egypt.

I received the Waterford Millenium Collection (entire set of glasses, Health, Love, Prosperity, etc and the $400 ice bucket). We actually use the glasses and the ice bucket when we have 'special guests'. When we moved (we have moved thrice), I put them back into their respective boxes and I tell the mover, you break it, you bought it and this set is well over $1400.

This is not the exact set but it is an example.

http://www.amazon.com/Waterford-Crys...4503357&sr=8-1

I don't know how much you can get for it but you can go to a consignment store, sell it on Ebay insured or Amazon. You will get better resale if you have the original boxes. I don't trust those people who shop or sell on Craigslist, personally, with items of this value.

Old 02-13-2009, 11:57 AM

492 posts, read 726,609 times
hold on to it. it's waterford, unless you think you really need that money. it may not be your cup of tea now but it might be later or when your kids come around it may be something they would love to have. i have plenty of china stuff, some from overseas some bought here. i don't use any of it but i love my display and it is something i want to pass onto my kids. just my opinion.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:01 PM

105 posts, read 141,777 times
Give them away as a gift to someone who will appreciate them at an appropriate occasion.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:16 PM

10,593 posts, read 22,129,183 times
Everyone is different, there is no right and wrong here.
I love stuff like this and had more then I had room for. I went through and weeded things out, kept the really special stuff.
The only thing I would suggest is if your not into it, do you perhaps have a child that might want to inherit that Waterford bowl that was a wedding gift to her parents, I am of course making up a hypothetical for interest.

I have things that I don't think my daughter will care about and some things I think she will.

I also think that if you have pretty things, you should find an excuse to use them. Don't save the good dishes etc. for only Christmas and Thanksgiving. Add in everyones birthday, when hubby gets a promotion, when the kids get good grades, let them know you recognize it by using the special stuff. Otherwise there really isn't any reason to keep it all around.

I have also made a habit of using things in non traditional ways. I have two crystal bowls in my bathroom around my garden tub with large candles in them. I have pink depression glass candleholders in there as well. Rather then use the non descript vase for flowers, I use an expensive cut crystal one. I have even served potato salad in a cut crystal bowl. I feel a certain attachment to these things because they belonged to my Mother and Grandmothers.

If you don't feel that attachment, it does feel good to be less encumbered. I have had garage sales, gotten rid of alot of things I was burdened by and made money from it, its a good feeling. I did grow up in a home stock full of more things then it could hold and I hated it. My Mothers downfall was pretty things you could only LOOK at. I prefer to be able to use them.

When I was in high school, we had a formal dining room that we never used and the dishes etc. I pushed to make it a more regular thing to eat in there on the special dishes which was nice.

If you are going to sell on Ebay be aware they take a cut of what you sell AND there is a cost to list things. I have sold things on both places, Ebay and Craigslist. I personally would list your items first WITH photographs on Craigslist and see if you can sell it that way. You can use Ebay to give you a price point to use but don't be bound by that. Check out how much it is to purchase these items new.

I had a huge collection of Gone With The Wind plates, they go really cheap on Ebay but I was able to sell them for $20 each to one couple on Craigslist. I about 20 of them. They sell for a couple dollars each maybe up to 10 on Ebay AND then you have to share the profit with Ebay.

Old 02-13-2009, 12:18 PM

2,372 posts, read 5,070,626 times
The Waterford company is in financial straights. I'd hold on to it!! No telling what might happen to the value if they go under entirely!

Old 02-14-2009, 08:17 PM

603 posts, read 1,442,116 times
Thanks for the suggestions. I heard Waterford had to lay off a bunch of employees a couple months ago. So maybe you're right, maybe they will be worth more someday. Or maybe I will begin to use enjoy them when I have more space to display fragile items. Our house is so cramped right now, surely the kids would knock it over of I had it out. My daughter is only 3 years old but you're right, someday she might like to have the crystal. I think I'll keep it!

Old 02-20-2009, 03:39 PM

1,692 posts, read 2,334,106 times
Wink just another late breaking thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by #Littledog View Post
If you don't want to display them. Get some good boxes on sell ( not cardboard ). Bubble wrap, tissue paper and wrap them up really well. Store them someplace safe and out of the way. Mark the box what they are and what to do with them if something happens. Such as, to go to (Daughter's name ) as part of her hope chest. BTW do people still do the hope chest thing?
If you want to modify it, research the items very well see which ones a currently worth some denaro, which ones might be rare keep those. Sell or give the others as gifts. LIghten your load.
Alot of the items I have in my house I have in limbo until my Niece or Nephew grows up and gets married. In some ways my house has become thier modified hope chest. I get to enjoy the items then when thigns are right they get to have them if they want them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products