U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2007, 11:08 PM

680 posts, read 4,310,473 times

Advertisements

I am moving from California to Illinois in July. I am trying to find the best cost to get all my stuff there. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, but will not be bringing most of my furniture...just a full size bed, a cardtable, and then general other things like clothes and personal items. I want to know other peoples' opinions on whether I should rent a truck and drive it there, or if I should ship my things and fly. I have looked up prices for renting a truck ($1000-2000), but I am not even sure where to start on the shipping. What kinds of shipping companies are out there, and would it be more or less expensive than the truck?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2007, 11:48 PM

1,913 posts, read 8,293,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel2882 View Post
I am moving from California to Illinois in July. I am trying to find the best cost to get all my stuff there. I live in a 1 bedroom apartment, but will not be bringing most of my furniture...just a full size bed, a cardtable, and then general other things like clothes and personal items. I want to know other peoples' opinions on whether I should rent a truck and drive it there, or if I should ship my things and fly. I have looked up prices for renting a truck ($1000-2000), but I am not even sure where to start on the shipping. What kinds of shipping companies are out there, and would it be more or less expensive than the truck?

I am a pro at moving! I've moved far too many times...lol

Most of the larger named moving companies have a weight requirement on shipping goods. I think it's right around 3,000 lbs at least. When I moved from California to Missouri I used a moving company. I had close to 4,000 lbs. It was expensive to say the least. If you do decide to go with a moving company I would pack up as much as you can. I have several large paintings that needed to be packed properly for transit. So I had to use their crew to help out with that. Plus, I was also shipping my motorcycle/atv. That wasn't cheap either.
Be sure to read the fine print as far as insurance goes with a moving company too.

Since you don't have alot to move and if you feel comfortable driving a rental truck I would say do that. The small trucks are a breeze to operate.
I just did another move from Missouri to Ohio and this time opted for driving the truck myself. I saved the packing material for my paintings so I was good to go with that. And yes, doing it yourself saves mucho bucks!...it was right around $500.00 for the rental and figure in gas/diesel. If I went with a moving company from MO to OH it would have been right around $4,000+...

Are you taking a vehicle that will be towed? If not, check out the prices of getting a moving company to do it and what a flight would cost...compare everything cost wise.

Also understand that if you go with the moving company/flight option that you will arrive at your destination long before your furniture will. That's something to consider and be prepared for as well.

Last edited by citybythebay; 03-17-2007 at 11:55 PM.. Reason: Added more info my Alzheimer brain forgot...:)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products