Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 01:32 PM

4,550 posts, read 11,697,822 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Phingerbyngur View Post
When I occasionally purchase a canned beverage from a store, something I've never understood is how some cashiers will grab the can at its rim, right where I'm going to put my mouth in order to drink from it. Sure, I can wipe it off with my shirt, but why must I do that? Can't the cashier simply pick the can up, gripping it where my mouth will not be? Even supermarket cashiers will do this -- isn't there a special training school they attend anymore where they're instructed on simple supermarket etiquette, or do they simply not care that they may be spreading their germs?

You might want to consider medication for your "problem". I guarantee we don't man handle your pills before you take them
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 01:43 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,351,383 times
Quote:
Hello? McFly? Hello? Is this thing on?!

If the cashier touches the part where I'm not going to drink from, it's not a problem. Furthermore, even if somebody touched the part I'm going to drink from when they were stalking the cans an hour ago, chances are the bacteria they may have gotten on the can will be dead by then.

Now do we understand? BTW, don't they teach Biology 101 in school these days?
They still teach 101. Is that the class you skipped?

How long do microbes like bacteria and viruses live on surfaces in the home at normal room temperatures? | Popular Science

Old 02-21-2009, 01:50 PM

6,266 posts, read 19,166,056 times
I carry lysol wipes and purell with me for wiping off surfaces or cans,etc
I also wash cans before I open them; such as beans,soups,etc
germs germs everywhere germs!!

Old 02-21-2009, 02:02 PM

16,224 posts, read 25,664,027 times
Special training? To be a cashier? LOL!!!!!!

Old 02-21-2009, 02:20 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,754 times
Seriously Captain P. - BUY SOME HANDWIPES!! I understand you not wanting the cashier's germs, but seriously it is not her/his problem, is it? Handwipes, dude!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! P.S. Be careful where you drink tap beer (if you do). Bacteria-city if the establishment doesn't clean their taps properly or at all. Oh, sure the state is supposed to inspect, but with all the budget cuts you just never know. So, remember buy handwipes and you'll be fine!

Old 02-21-2009, 02:56 PM

3,536 posts, read 12,328,643 times
Quote:
Hello? McFly? Hello? Is this thing on?!

If the cashier touches the part where I'm not going to drink from, it's not a problem. Furthermore, even if somebody touched the part I'm going to drink from when they were stalking the cans an hour ago, chances are the bacteria they may have gotten on the can will be dead by then.

Now do we understand? BTW, don't they teach Biology 101 in school these days?
Actually, Ummm... I guess you missed biology 101. Did you know that hepatitis can live for up to 48 hour on a non biological surface? This article says a week, but when I got my degree in laboratory technology, we learned 48 hours. Have you ever seen one of those documentaries where they swap things like door knobs? They are covered in living bacteria, even if not handled for hours and hours. Hepatitis Virus - Hepatitis Virus Life Outside the Body

E-coli can live up to 24 hours, the stomach flu for up to a week. Also, anthrax can live on an inatimate object for 100s of YEARS. And yes, there are still naturally occuring cases of anthrax in the United States. How long do microbes like bacteria and viruses live on surfaces in the home at normal room temperatures? | Popular Science

Old 02-21-2009, 03:49 PM

563 posts, read 1,025,754 times
Thanks dmarie123 and that's why I use handwipes. That is also why I don't put my fingers in my nose, eyes, and mouth until I am home. And when I get home I first wash my hands. To some this is freaky, to others not enough, to me it provides peace of mind and no illness (knock on wood ). I liked the stats you gave from class.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:08 PM

1,440 posts, read 4,417,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommytotwo View Post
Why don't you mention it nicely to your favorite cashier. You MIGHT just get him or her thinking about it.
More likely they'll ask the next cashier if a full moon is out.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:35 PM

91 posts, read 226,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatnow View Post
Thanks dmarie123 and that's why I use handwipes. That is also why I don't put my fingers in my nose, eyes, and mouth until I am home. And when I get home I first wash my hands. To some this is freaky, to others not enough, to me it provides peace of mind and no illness (knock on wood ). I liked the stats you gave from class.

Then I must be freaky too because I wash my hands as soon as I come home also. lol

It's just basic common sense.

And if I go out I try to stick to drinks that come in a bottle instead of a can. The best way to buy cans is when they are part of a sealed case & not exposed to people and dirt and whatnot.

Single cans should always be washed before opening.

Old 02-22-2009, 01:23 PM

7,099 posts, read 27,182,701 times
what on earth did people do before they started selling Handy-wipes and things like that?

And what about salad at restaurants, and lettuce and tomatoes in Hamburger joints before plastic gloves came on the scene?

And have you did you ever notice in those pictures of acres and acres of vegetables, and the workers picking the crops, that's there's not a sign of a port-a-jon. Do you think that the workers walked all the way back to the beginning just to take a leak or a squat? That's REAL organic food.

It's a wonder that any of us are alive to discuss germs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products