U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-24-2009, 10:06 AM

58 posts, read 172,476 times

Advertisements

I recently purchased a $1400.00 mattress from Mattress Firm and was not completely satisfied (I'm a nurse who works 12 hr shifts on my feet and a superb/soft/firm mattress is a must when I come home) Anyway the mattress was too firm (cutting off circulation) and I ended up returning it for a softer version, now its still not just right, (I can't return it again-store policy), Yesterday I ordered the 5 inch Memory foam top for the mattress. My husband now really hates the bed since I got rid of the firm mattress. Are you satisfied with your mattress? What brand is it? Where did you purchase it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2009, 10:36 AM

2,949 posts, read 12,309,068 times
Quite by accident, my husband and I were staying at one of the newer hotels in Orlando and the bed was a Westbury by Simmons. Our Sterns and Foster was just 11 years old and needed to be replaced - I couldn't find a similar bed/mattress and we were almost at the end of our rope.

Our three night stay convinced us that we liked the mattress enough to purchase it. It is not available through retailers, but you can purchase the bed through the direct purchase program. PM me and I will send you all the info. It turned out to be cheaper than our Sterns and Foster and we sleep like babies. Their program delivers and sets up the bed for you.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:20 PM

9,198 posts, read 22,256,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mswinendine View Post
My husband now really hates the bed since I got rid of the firm mattress.
This sounds like one of those situations that calls out for the "Sleep Number" bed. I don't have one, but my parents and several friends of ours do, and they all swear by them. There are times I wish I did have one - my wife likes a firm mattress and I prefer soft.

Edit: I should have added that SleepNumber has/had a class action lawsuit against them for mold problems. I don't know anything about that or if the problems have been resolved, so it's worth checking out if one is considering that.

Last edited by CHTransplant; 02-24-2009 at 01:14 PM.. Reason: Added info about (past?) mold problems

Old 02-24-2009, 12:58 PM

2,375 posts, read 5,442,952 times
My husband and I have a sleep number bed. It works great for us, because he likes his side soft and I need firm.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:44 PM

9,233 posts, read 19,417,631 times
I love my Select Comfort Sleep Number bed. The bed, not the company.
It's so comfortable. I have to give them that.

But after you buy the bed, their customer service becomes terrible.
You call the number and always get a message saying "due to the large volume of calls, your wait time will be..." and it's too long to wait, like 15 + minutes. The people in the store were very helpful, but after you buy the bed, they can't help you anymore; you have to use the customer service line.

First problem: I bought the bed, but they never told me it didn't come with a frame & legs, that those would be extra. So when the delivery guys set it up, it was on the floor, and I later bought a regular metal frame when I learned how much the Select Comfort frame and legs were.

Second problem: I had a problem that would have been under warranty (the supposedly "whisper-soft" motor is very loud and has been since day one), but I could not get through to them before the warranty expired!

Third: Then this year, I wanted to order a new pillow-top cover, which 5 years ago was a $200 upgrade. They told me that to replace it, it would be over $600!!!!! I was in such shock I just hung up on them (after waiting 15-20 minutes on hold to talk to a live person).

If you like comfort and don't mind being treated like dirt, they are great.

Note: The commercials say they aren't any more expensive than a regular bed, but I had never before spent over $300 on a bed, and my Select Comfort, the middle-of-the-road 5000 model, was about $1300. I don't know how they can say this in their commercials. Who spends $1300 in a regular bed? But I wanted it anyway. And I sure got it.

Again, very comfy, but would never, ever do business with them again.

Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 PM

9,233 posts, read 19,417,631 times
Oh, forgot, I tried a Temperpedic bed at someone else's house, and also a bed-topper with the special temperpedic foam.

If you are someone who hates being hot, you won't like them. They hold so much heat; I was throwing off the covers and sweating.

If you are someone who's always cold, it might be good for you.

Old 02-24-2009, 10:02 PM

3,872 posts, read 7,873,687 times
I have a Sterns and Foster. I LOVE LOVE LOVE my bed. In fact, I may need to go touch it right now so it knows I still love it, lol (just kidding, not really that crazy). It's the best bed I've ever in my life owned. It's not too soft or too firm.

Old 02-24-2009, 11:44 PM

3,753 posts, read 3,388,081 times
We have a Sleep Number and I HATE it. Hubby on the other hand loves it, so there is no way that I'll ever get my Verlo double pillow top mattress back. Shame, because that was one comfortable mattress.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,134,427 times
Origionally bought a Select Comfort bed recomended by Paul Harvey in 1993. I wouldn't change it out for anything. My wife feels the same way...
We like being able to adjust the matress to our needs in only a few seconds.
Their customer service does suck and if you need a replacement you pay the new price less the warranty amount. It seems high buy thats what I will do for a good nights sleep. We also have a new one in our guest room and everyone that stays there loves the bed....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products