U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2008, 01:19 PM

9,324 posts, read 24,028,039 times

Advertisements

This is another indication of the relentless increases in inflation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2018, 07:56 PM

6,354 posts, read 5,307,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Does anyone remember 3 cent post card and 5 cent letters.
I also have a vague recollection of if an envelope was not sealed, it could be mailed cheaper than one that was glued.
Can anyone verify or refute this vague and fuzzy recollection of an addled brain.

yes. I remember all of those, even the unsealed envelope story (was it just a rumour ?) . My stars . Does this mean that we are both .......over the hill ? ? ?
I remember the three cent first class stamp in the late 1950s when I was a little kid. Yes, unsealed letters were cheaper than sealed ones until 1968. I have no idea why.

Pretty amazing that someone will pick up a letter out of a box in, say, New Hampshire and deliver it to your door in some remote part of Montana, for FIFTY CENTS.

Old 07-30-2018, 08:02 AM

6,846 posts, read 3,856,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larry Siegel View Post
I remember the three cent first class stamp in the late 1950s when I was a little kid. Yes, unsealed letters were cheaper than sealed ones until 1968. I have no idea why.

Pretty amazing that someone will pick up a letter out of a box in, say, New Hampshire and deliver it to your door in some remote part of Montana, for FIFTY CENTS.
The glue from the envelope flap will bled over and stick to the next letter. Back then slowing down the clerk who processed it by hand to pull the pieces apart. Today without a discount and most of that processing done by machine those stuck together letters get through and unless the letter carrier feels it at the delivery point and pulls the stuck letter off you have a misdelivery..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products