U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2009, 01:13 AM

10,463 posts, read 10,234,407 times

Advertisements

Has anybody else had trouble recently with a Staples rebate? I received a notification from them requesting that I send them a UPC cutout even though nothing of the sort was mentioned in the original instructions. They also seem to have lost the receipt I sent in so I had to get a new one from the store I made the purchase. And furthermore, there seems to be a problem with the time frame even though I was prompt in applying for the rebate. I'm not particularly happy with staples over all this. Just where is that EASY button...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2009, 06:40 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,032,891 times
I fell for it, once and the trouble it took to get the rebate wasn't worth it.

So, rebates don't even come into play when I make a decision to make a purchase -whereas it used to.

Old 03-11-2009, 10:57 AM

18,607 posts, read 55,538,805 times
Same here. As a matter of fact I now go OUT OF MY WAY to avoid stores that do rebates. SCAM SCAM SCAM.

Old 03-11-2009, 08:31 PM

2,658 posts, read 10,573,798 times
Staples has the least cumbersome of rebates but I no longer purchase anything with a 'rebate'. I never send the paperwork and they bank on most people not to send it off. So you pay full price with the risk of not getting the money or forgetting to send off the form. It's like an interest free loan for the company since you don't get the money for weeks.

Buying online saves more money than rebates.

I will only buy with an 'instant rebate'. Otherwise, stay away from it.

Old 03-12-2009, 08:38 PM

424 posts, read 1,521,605 times
Default No recent problems with Staples rebates

I've had no recent or past problems with Staples rebates. I found the changes to their system in recent years to be pretty conducive to submittal and timely receipt of rebates, but then something may have changed in the way they specifiy requirements and handle the rebates. If their fullfillment house is different that could be part of the problem, but again if the original terms of the rebate differ from what they claim now, I would be upset.

Office Max has largely moved away from rebates. The way they used to do it was truly awful...a monthly rebate book full of forms that each had to go to any number of addresses. I would actually trudge through it and surprisingly got everything, but I had to pay strict attention to ALL of the details for submitting the required materials. The few that had problems were able to be resolved without too much pain.

CompUSA was generally a nightmare to deal with...slow in responding and too eager to deny the rebate even when all terms were adhered to. I had to contact CompUSA corporate folks on more than one occasion to get the fullfillment house to honor the rebate. I think I only failed on one, but got an alternative compensation instead. I did not think highly of the store because of the experience with the rebate programs. Rebate issues were one of the factors that led to legal problems with CompUSA and ultimately their shutting down operations nationwide. The current CompUSA organization acquired the name but none of the liabilities of the old company.

Best Buy was usually not much of a problem, and especially when they went to the system of printing forms and special receipts at the point of purchase it became even easier.

Circuit City was usually not a problem. In the last years of the firm they also printed custom forms and rebate receipts for the customer on all qualifying purchases. If one read the form and followed the instructions, the rebate would usually process in a just a few weeks, often less than a month.

Office Depot rebates also worked well, but I did not get many things from them.

If you jumped through all the hoops (and some places/products had more than others) you would get your rebates. But you have to persist if there are problems and be willing to escalate at times. I found it expedient to keep a log (and Excel spread sheet) of store, item, date purchased, date submitted, date rebate received, contact phone number and web site, and notes on any issues, etc. Of course I also scanned ALL paperwork submitted and kept that handy. I have submitted very few rebates at office supply and electronics stores in the past 3 years, but between June 2000 and November of 2008, I acquired items costing $3,479.08 (after instant rebates and sale prices, but BEFORE other in-store offsets and mail-in rebates) on which I received $2,833.33 in rebates (which included total net overpayment on some rebates by $49.51). For all that stuff I was out-of-pocket $416.36 (excluding postate costs), the largest portion of which was sales tax. I did not do badly, but I was a stickler for following the rules AND making sure the retailers and their fullfillment agents honored their part of the bargain. I knew that retailers counted on a large portion of customers failing to comply or just not bothering with rebate submittal. Frankly, I woulld rather that they offered better deals without the rebates, but then since EVERYONE purchasing the product would get the cheaper price up front, the real level of discounting would be less to someone accustomed to playing AND winning the rebate game.

As an aside, stores like Walgreen's that make the entire process electronic (if the customer wants to do it that way), make it quite painless since rebate receipt information is entered online and claims are just a few strokes on the keyboard to submit. On top of that, Walgreen's increases the rebate by 10 percent if the customer elects to receive payment on a reloadable gift card...the rebate is usually credited within 15 to 20 days following the end-of-cylcle submittal date when going the gift card route.

Old 03-12-2009, 09:08 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,280,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Same here. As a matter of fact I now go OUT OF MY WAY to avoid stores that do rebates. SCAM SCAM SCAM.
I have submitted probably 50 - 60 rebate forms, from $10, to $250, and I have received the rebate 100% of the time. Yea, I will invest 10 minutes and a stamp to earn $10 to $250, that works out to $60 to $1500/hour for my efforts.

The rebates are a marketing strategy, as they know most people will not submit them, or are incapable of following instructions. It is better for the vendor than a sale, since with a sale everyone gets the discount.

For that I thank you all that don't bother, as they have saved me some significant $$$'s over the years.

Old 03-13-2009, 11:42 AM

18,607 posts, read 55,538,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
I have submitted probably 50 - 60 rebate forms, from $10, to $250, and I have received the rebate 100% of the time. Yea, I will invest 10 minutes and a stamp to earn $10 to $250, that works out to $60 to $1500/hour for my efforts.

The rebates are a marketing strategy, as they know most people will not submit them, or are incapable of following instructions. It is better for the vendor than a sale, since with a sale everyone gets the discount.

For that I thank you all that don't bother, as they have saved me some significant $$$'s over the years.
You misinterpret. I got burned with rebates enough times that now, if there are two competing products on the shelf, one of them for $100 with a $20 rebate, and one for $95, I will purchase the $95 item and ignore the rebated item.

It isn't a matter of not bothering to fill in the forms and hope that the rebate gods are shining on me, it is a matter of my opting out of that religion entirely and sending them to marketing he11. I KNOW what my end cost will be. I KNOW I won't have to hassle or be hassled. I KNOW that if enough people think this way a lot of crooks can be put out of work.

If you want to p*tz around with forms and duplicates and registered letters for higher ticket items, go ahead. There are people who win in Vegas as well. My attitude is that I don't like to do business with scum, and I'm willing to put my money where my mouth is. Think I feel strongly about this?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:51 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,152,828 times
I've never had any problems with rebates but I wish that more were like wallgreens in taking on-line forms for them.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:58 PM

14,693 posts, read 23,410,889 times
Call the manager and complain. If that does not work go to the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. That is almost guaranteed to get someone moving on this.

Old 03-13-2009, 07:12 PM

10,463 posts, read 10,234,407 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
Call the manager and complain. If that does not work go to the Better Business Bureau and file a complaint. That is almost guaranteed to get someone moving on this.
I went back into the store and was told by the manager, "The number we have to call is the same as the one you have." i.e. "Your problem is with the rebate center, not us." Nice customer service, eh? I did get a second receipt, however, since the rebate center allegedly misplaced the one I sent them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products