Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-23-2009, 09:06 PM

5,553 posts, read 6,722,317 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Where are the old victrolas (as my Dad used to call stereos)?
You can still buy record players in nice cabinets; they now come withradio, CD players and even tape players.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2009, 09:28 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times
Someone went and invented the transistor.No more running to the seven eleven to the tube testing machine and hope they haven't run out of that particular one.But then you also miss the feeling of joy seeing the reat of the shows on from 8-10pm ;because it wasn't somthing the TV repair man had to come out and fix.

Old 03-24-2009, 05:45 PM

8,799 posts, read 21,207,300 times
Do they still have TV repairmen?

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 03-24-2009, 06:42 PM

563 posts, read 2,563,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
Do they still have TV repairmen?
As a matter of fact, up until a few years ago, I used to pass a tv repair shop in St. Augustine, FL almost daily. The shop fixed a variety of electronics but the sign seemed to promote tvs...as it said we repair Zenith (remember them ...now owned by LG), RCA, etc. Its all gone now. When I am back in NY, I will look and double check but I am sure there is still a TV repair place in one my neighboring towns.

Old 03-25-2009, 12:55 AM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 8,348,018 times
People give them away on Craigslist, or sell them cheap, like $20.

Old 03-25-2009, 03:20 PM

1,095 posts, read 3,987,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samrai309 View Post
As a matter of fact, up until a few years ago, I used to pass a tv repair shop in St. Augustine, FL almost daily. The shop fixed a variety of electronics but the sign seemed to promote tvs...as it said we repair Zenith (remember them ...now owned by LG), RCA, etc. Its all gone now. When I am back in NY, I will look and double check but I am sure there is still a TV repair place in one my neighboring towns.
It's still not terribly difficult to repair TVs as long as the tube itself is okay. Now there's a circuit board inside instead of a bunch of vaccum tubes, but most repairs are pretty simple, according to a friend of mine who does that sort of thing.

Old 03-25-2009, 04:21 PM

13,573 posts, read 15,514,456 times
Electron guns use a hell of a lot of energy.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:07 PM

72 posts, read 220,422 times
CRTs are a thing of the past. They are energy hogs and heavy as hell. Not to mention they don't support high definition TV. They do not last longer and in 15 years they will be obsolete anyways. There is absolutely no reason for CRTs because LCDs are becoming more affordable. But if you wish to have one anyways...craigslist is your best best.

Old 04-03-2009, 10:22 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,330,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Wow.....what happened to all the CRT TVs we all grew up with ? I went into Walmart looking for a cheap 20 inch Emerson flatscreen & they don't sell the old tube TVs anywhere. Lol, I guess I don't like change, but I'm surprised that they all seem to be off the market. Anyone know where to still get them....thanks
I HEAR YOU!!

(you are talking about the tv's that are almost as deep as they are wide, right?)

A few years ago I bought one of these little tv's for my bedroom for $79. It was going strong after about 6 years when DH dropped and broke it.

I went to the store to buy another.

Forget it! Gone!

Advanced Technology has taken over.

For a price of $299, I found an equivalent sized flat screened tv, only an increase of $220.

Got to love technology.

What irritated me most of all, is that this tv sits in a cabinet, so it doesnt' matter if it's 4" deep or 1.5 feet deep.

Argh!

btw, the only deep tvs I've seen like this are the disney princess tvs on sale at Sears. I've been meaning to pick one up for my DD, they are $129 (with a matching dvd player for $69). I almost want to go get it now, but she is only 4 and I don't want her to have a tv in her room yet. But I fear if I wait any longer I am afraid they will not be available any longer. And I don't want her to have a flat screened tv in her room, they seem way toooo easy to knock over and break. (And for $299, I don't want to see a broken tv)

Right now DS is using a tv that was a Christmas gift to me when I was 16. The thing is over 17 years old and it still works, unbelievably.

BTW, is this the kind of tv you are talking about, LOL!! I don't know the technical stuff! ("deep tv", )

Old 04-03-2009, 11:00 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,540,710 times
But if you like music those old tube player are coming back just for teh sound ;I am told.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products