U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2009, 08:34 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,219,053 times

Advertisements

I have back issues and more important I have had pinch nerves before in my neck and shoulders. WE bought a new mattress like 8 years ago a pillow top because it was said they were great.THey were wrong. I don't have 500-800 to get a new mattress so I would have to go cheaper. I 'm worried that if I get a new one and I have seen them for like 200-299 before it will be worse than what I have now. Has anyone bought one of those Mattress toppers to help for comfort instead of buying a new mattress.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2009, 09:08 AM

31,146 posts, read 50,314,105 times
We bought a King size water bed in 1985 for $99. It was un-stained. It was on-sale on a TV ad as a gimmick to get customers into their store to look at massive fancy $5000 beds.

We have had to replace the heater twice, at about $60 each time.

I just had to replace the bag a month ago which cost me $70.

During this 24 year period of time, we have lived in 7 different homes. Our water bed has been drained, folded, boxed, shipped, re-setup, filled, and re-used, each time.

I can not imagine a more economical bed, nor a more comfortable bed.

Being career military, we moved a lot, and it took a lot of abuse in the moving process. Once one of our shipping crates slid off a transport ship into the ocean and they had to lift it out of the water with a crane. But if you only moved once a decade [or less] like normal folk do. It could possibly last a lifetime.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM

9,581 posts, read 17,760,954 times
I'd be afraid to buy a $200-$300 mattress. I bought a $100 mattress for a guest room several years ago. We haven't had many guests stay for more than one night. We bought a foam pad for it, doubling the investment, but it's still not much better than sleeping on the floor.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:54 PM

9,718 posts, read 5,811,875 times
I had the foam mattress topper on my Sealy Posturepedic mattress. I ordered it from Costco and used it for maybe 4 years and it was the best $120 investment I made. No more backaches

I now have the Novafoam memory foam mattress and I love it.

Old 03-30-2009, 04:02 PM

1,111 posts, read 4,279,328 times
I always felt that you should invest in a good mattress, because you will be spending like 30% of your life on it, and can result in you getting a good night sleep or a bad back in the long run. We bought a pillowtop mattress topper from Macy's for like $100 and it does help, but I don't think it replaces a good firm mattress.

Old 03-30-2009, 05:44 PM

17 posts, read 68,004 times
Default What about an air mattress?

If you don't want to spend alot, why don't you buy an Aero air mattress, put it on top of your existing box spring and sleep on that..... You can adjust how firm you want the mattress. The only problem would be if you have animals with claws.....
My husband and I bought the Sleep Number bed last fall, and they are great.....much more than 200-300 dollars, but I think it's worth it. But, if I was having a problem with my back (and I was at the time, that's why the purchase), and couldn't afford the Sleep number, I'd go the air mattress route. By the way, the Aero pillowtop mattress was rated pretty high on Consumers Report when I bought 2 for guests to use at the house.....

Also, prior to the Sleep Number I purchased the mattress topper made out of foam that the astronauts use..... It's about 2" in depth and it made the old mattress bearable, but we were still having problems with out backs. So for what it's worth......
Good luck.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:26 PM

One thing with a waterbed is that their heated. which does allow you to turn down the heat in your bedroom, and still be really snug.

Old 03-31-2009, 12:19 AM

18,288 posts, read 20,811,069 times
I also am a 30+ year waterbed owner can't see ever giving it up. Of course unless the nursing home my kids throw me into one day won't accept them. Hmm might have to become homeless with just a waterbed eh?

I have friends that spent on the sleep #, big bucks on the memory foam, pillow top all of them have some kind of complaint. Guess it is really personal choice but I don't think a cheap mattress is a good idea with a bad back. Can you save up for a better mattress and maybe put a piece of plywood under your current mattress in the meantime? It will help firm it up giving you more lumbar support.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:16 AM

4,270 posts, read 14,071,918 times
You get what you paid for. With that said, find a bed that you like and continue to save money for it. Also, buying a bed is like buying a car. The sticker price is just what they hope to get for it. I wish I had learned that lesson before we bought our first bed.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foma View Post
You get what you paid for. With that said, find a bed that you like and continue to save money for it. Also, buying a bed is like buying a car. The sticker price is just what they hope to get for it. I wish I had learned that lesson before we bought our first bed.
Saying: "You get what you paid for"

Is usually meant to suggest that cheap is bad.

Which does apply in many areas of life.

However I do not see that it applies when looking at a waterbed.

I mean they are much cheaper than a standard mattress, and they last much longer. Which means that the cheaper is better?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products