U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Apartment hunting tips in cities for possible relocation, seeking advice from apartment hunters how best to search possible apartments in short time period

Old 03-29-2007, 04:09 AM

252 posts, read 992,177 times

Advertisements

Hi, I am taking a driving trip to check out some cities I would like to move too.....Question is this?

I can easily check out Apartment complex's IF the apt managers are in, and and they are open but what about privately owned ones. Do u think maybe I should just drive around until I see "for rent" signs. Surely this isn't productive, and time consuming to boot.

I am thinking I will find the local paper for the cities I am looking at and run the classifieds on apt for rent, and if they have an address to try to find them.........I mean if I am not ready to move just yet, it is kind of a waste of the landlord's time and money to come and show it to me right?

How is everyone else doing this? I am curious to know!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2007, 08:23 AM

2,072 posts, read 11,171,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topo View Post
Hi, I am taking a driving trip to check out some cities I would like to move too.....Question is this?

I can easily check out Apartment complex's IF the apt managers are in, and and they are open but what about privately owned ones. Do u think maybe I should just drive around until I see "for rent" signs. Surely this isn't productive, and time consuming to boot.

I am thinking I will find the local paper for the cities I am looking at and run the classifieds on apt for rent, and if they have an address to try to find them.........I mean if I am not ready to move just yet, it is kind of a waste of the landlord's time and money to come and show it to me right?

How is everyone else doing this? I am curious to know!
Yes, it's a waste of time for the Landlords if you don't know WHERE or WHEN your movings. Larger complexes, sure no problem to see what's out there. Single family residences usually have open houses on the weekends.

In February, I had a prospective tenant ask if I could hold my vacant apartment until August if she gave me a deposit. Yeah, right. I would have lost 6 months rent. I told her she could move anytime she wanted, but the agreement would start the day she was approved - if she was approved.

Start looking seriously no less than one month of your move-in date.

Good luck.

Paula

Old 03-29-2007, 04:37 PM

6,046 posts, read 21,868,792 times
My husband and I are in a similar situation. We know the area we want to live in, but it's too far to drive out to and check out apartment complexes. When we were last in the area, we picked up a couple of different apartment guides. Last month we finally decided our goal to move is August 1st. So we went through the guides, selected the complexes that were in our ideal locations and price range. I went online, read reviews of the complexes, and asked people in the area what they thought of these places. Eventually we narrowed our "first choice" list to 3 places. We applied to all 3, and of course put down that we were looking to occupy the apartment August 1st. We haven't actually seen any of these 3 places! So it's a little scary, but it's the best we could do. In retrospect, it really wasn't necessary to apply this early. I spoke to the manager at each place; complexes generally require their tenants to give either 30 or 60 days notice of vacancy, so in my case, they most likely won't know if they have a vacancy until early June or early July. So I probably didn't need to apply until May. However, I got overexcited and sent them in early. lol So far we've gotten calls from 2 of the 3 places, saying our application was approved and will be kept on file; they will call if any vacancies come up. I plan to call each one in early June, just to check in.

In your case, I wouldn't go nuts yet apartment hunting, which is time consuming and stressful. First decide what city you want to move to, and then figure out when you want to move. Then you'll be in a better position to start worrying about apartments.

Best of luck.

Old 03-30-2007, 03:54 AM

252 posts, read 992,177 times
Like I said complex's are easy to look at, some of the areas I am looking into don't have complex's........just listings in the paper!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products