Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 05:56 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times

Advertisements

I come from a part of the country where you don't need a car to shop anywhere. I'm totally puzzled as to what's behind all this. For whatever reason, I avoid these stores as I hate carrying one more card in my wallet than necessary. I don't even carry credit cards in my wallet, having been the victim of a mugging years ago.

I got so irritated yesterday, when at CVS Pharmacy, when for the umteenth time over various visits, they asked me: Do you have your CVS card, I told the clerk I would not be returning to their store in the future, as I'm tired of the harrassment. And I plan to email CVS Pharmacy telling them the reasons I no longer plan to shop at their stores.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I feel this is an infringement of my privacy and I don't want the government tracking my spending habits.

Anyone else feel the same about these card stores, or am I the only one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2009, 06:00 PM

2,502 posts, read 8,917,193 times
I'm pretty sure they only reason why they ask for your CVS card is because the card allows you to receive a store discount (it essentially works like a coupon). You don't have to have one to shop there and you can still pay in cash if you want.

I don't think it's that big of a deal?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 PM

1,158 posts, read 3,414,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post
I come from a part of the country where you don't need a car to shop anywhere. I'm totally puzzled as to what's behind all this. For whatever reason, I avoid these stores as I hate carrying one more card in my wallet than necessary. I don't even carry credit cards in my wallet, having been the victim of a mugging years ago.

I got so irritated yesterday, when at CVS Pharmacy, when for the umteenth time over various visits, they asked me: Do you have your CVS card, I told the clerk I would not be returning to their store in the future, as I'm tired of the harrassment. And I plan to email CVS Pharmacy telling them the reasons I no longer plan to shop at their stores.

Perhaps I'm just paranoid, but I feel this is an infringement of my privacy and I don't want the government tracking my spending habits.

ummmm....u don't need a card to shop there or really anywhere (aside from like sam's or costco where you need to be a member). my guess is you confused the clerk by getting agitated over what they pbby thot was doing you a favor (asking if you had your card so you would receive a discount)

think you are being a bit paranoid, but that's your business...you still don't need a card, just politely say you don't want one.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM

10,481 posts, read 25,275,556 times
tijlover, so you don't like saving money? That's what the card is all about. It is NOT harassment. Sheesh.
Here's an idea that many people use when applying for the cards and they don't want to use their real name: Make a fake name up. Only fill out the info you want, and then you get your discounts. What are they going to do, try and track down Bugs Bunny because he buys too much beer? lol

Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM

23,845 posts, read 24,091,732 times
First of all, there's no requirement for you to join their "club" or get one of the cards. Doing so usually gets you a discount on some items, in exchange for their tracking what you purchase. You can put any name on the form you fill out to get one, so you can be completely anonymous about it, or you can just not get the card at all, if your perceived loss of privacy is worth paying higher prices.

Second, the government has nothing to do with these cards. They're used for marketing purposes. You sound a bit paranoid...

Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM

3,674 posts, read 10,601,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tijlover View Post

If you don't wish to carry the card you can always just give them your social security number and your mothers maiden name. It is best to have that printed on the back of your shirts anyway.

Resistance is futile!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:18 PM

23,209 posts, read 29,018,601 times
Even with the card I've never really found where you're saving any money at these places. And I'm a great price comparer, once working in accounting. And the times I've shopped at some of these places, I found it exhausting to read the sales labels, this price with a card, another price without a card. I ask myself, what's the point!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 PM

12,686 posts, read 36,340,514 times
Yesterday at CVS my wife was mad because we had forgotten the $3.00 off any purchase coupon that I got the last time I was there by showing them my membership card. We made our purchase then my wife found something else to buy, and from the first purchase we got a coupon for $2.50 off the second purchase. Every time we shop there we get more big discounts by having the card. Hardly an imposition. Although I don't like my wallet stuffed with cards either, it comes in handy, but only if you like to save money. And at many stores, such as CVS or Petsmart, all you need to do is give them your phone number if you forgot to bring the card. My DIL got gas at Albertson's last week for $1.35 a gallon from using the card. By showing the card at Albertson's we not only get the sale prices, the more you purchase the less your Albertson's gas will cost, plus we can use it to get cash from our bank debit account. None of those cards, if stolen, will jeopardize your identity, or be useful to a thief. Sounds like you're from a backward part of the country. Probably New York or New Jersey. Some people complain about being hung with a new rope. Now go back to CVS, apologize and ask for a card.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:43 PM

45,321 posts, read 60,500,026 times
The companies use the card to track your buying habits: I use fixodent so when I buy a tube a store coupon for Polident gets spit out. It also helps them target advertising. The Safeway I shop at also has gas so I can (or rather my kids usually do) get a gas discount for every $100 of groceries (tracked by the store card). Last time I got gas there it was 1.89 -.90=.99/gal.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:52 PM

23,587 posts, read 70,358,767 times
We give CVS a phone number in Florida. Our cat has all the shopping cards.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products