U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: Which store do you prefer?
Walmart 25 26.60%
Target 69 73.40%
Voters: 94. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2010, 11:26 PM

5,824 posts, read 11,221,714 times
I think I've only been to Target once or twice. There are no Targets in the rural areas around here, but there are a few Wal-Marts.

I agree that window shopping in cities is fun, but if you don't live in a city, generally Walmart/Kmart/Kroger/CountryMart (and other chains) are your only choices. And most people I know around here need cheap prices, and probably couldn't afford to spend all day window shopping. Walmart isn't necessarily ideal, but it's convenient and cheap for most people. And it's not just Walmart. There are a lot of chain stores like that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2010, 04:14 PM

162 posts, read 353,820 times
Default i go to both

there's a Super Target I can walk to, and I get food there, but usually only small quantities. Occasionally they have great deals on some food, so I'll stock up. In general, they have better quality produce than my local Wal-Mart. And sometimes I get a few clothing items there. I visit that store at least a couple of times a week.

My favorite things about it are that it's clean, generally well-stocked, and offers quick checkout. They monitor the lines carefully, and if there is more than one or two people waiting in a line, they quickly open another register. Least favorite: prices on most things. Toiletries, for instance, or OTC meds -- very $$ compared to Wal-Mart. I think some stores underestimate how long people are willing to stay in line to save a bit. I have walked out of Wal-Mart and paid more at Target more than once because it was an immediate checkout at Target vs. 10-minute wait or more at Wal-Mart.

I use Wal-Mart for toiletries, for household stuff like cleaning supplies, and most non-perishable food. Price-wise, it's just almost impossible to beat them. Costco comes closest for cleaning supplies, dishwashing detergent, & the like. The savings over local grocery stores are tremendous, the sole exception being the staples like milk and bread. Groceries low-ball those to get you in the store, and they make it up elsewhere. Wal-Mart doesn't seem to do 'sales,' it's the same every day. So with the staples, W-M is a bit more.

what I hate about Wal-Mart: tremendously long lines and checkout times at all but odd hours. They're way understaffed during peak hours, so I tend to avoid them. They try to force you into the self-checkouts, which don't work all that well and constantly require supervisor overrides. I've actually had a cart full of stuff and gotten so fed up with the long lines or self-checkout that I've left the cart and walked out. And they're generally poorly-stocked. They run out of a lot of stuff. And they tend to be kinda dirty. They've been remodeling some of those around me lately, but in general I get a dirty feeling in them, kinda like going into a K-Mart. And I've gotten that sense in multiple cities. If I'm traveling and need something, I'll often find the closest one.

Old 02-27-2010, 03:54 PM

914 posts, read 653,519 times
I will wait in line at many a walmart as I have priced various items from food to clothes and WM cannot be beat .I will wait cause I know I will have a lower bill than going to Target .The only thing I found Target to be good for is clothes, everything else I can get cheaper at Walmart .

Old 02-27-2010, 04:33 PM

3,269 posts, read 5,160,856 times
Have anyone seen the new remodeled walmarts

Old 10-02-2010, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 749 times
i like target alot better than walmart, the lines are faster people are nice and willing to help. The store has a better apperance and actually feels clean. I may pay a few cents more for an item but i'd rather feel comfortable where im shopping. Everytime I walk into walmart stuff is just everywhere, people are running around everywhere, the walls are center blocks-just not really inviting at all. However walmart does offer vehicle maint. so thats a plus and they do have a door greeter to welcome every customer. But i'd still go for target.

Old 10-02-2010, 10:09 AM

1,942 posts, read 2,191,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milwaukee City View Post
Walmart: The South

Target: The North
Another stereotype............

Old 10-02-2010, 10:48 AM

12,395 posts, read 13,877,003 times
I try to avoid either. While in some communities, I have been forced to go to Walmart though for lack of any other option. Personally my experiences at walmart, would make me want to go to Target deciding between the two... These include being able to find what I want in stock (better quality products also, less quantity) , being able to get in and out faster (more than 2 out of the 50 checkout lines open), along with friendlier and more helpful customer service (not some rude lady with no teeth telling me she doesn't know, THEN GO FIND SOMEBODY WHO DOES). Walmart is the bottom of the barrel, it gets no lower quality in the big box world, though I have seen worse grocery store chains and certainly worse smaller stores. So in some places, I can actually see why people would go to Walmart, the rest of the options really ARE that bad. In Chicago area though, I am not sure why you would want to go to Walmart when there are so many more options.

Just to show why I avoid it. I went into a neighborhood hardware store yesterday, because I needed some nails to hang some heavy paintings, along with some matches to light my pilot light and in case of power outage. I walked in, somebody greeted me, and directed me to both items, with somebody there to let me get the exact nail I wanted able to hold specific weights. I was in and out in literally under 2 minutes. That would have taken at least 20-30 minutes in walmart to walk all the way to the back of 2 sections of the store, look at the kind of nails I would need, walk all the way back, then wait awhile in checkout and then walk back out through the parking lot to my car.

Last edited by grapico; 10-02-2010 at 10:58 AM..

Old 10-02-2010, 09:08 PM

619 posts, read 846,408 times
Target is so much better. Walmart honestly feels like like crap compared to it and most people i know will always try to go to target before walmart.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:37 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,660,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brent6969 View Post
Another stereotype............
But it's true....moreso.

Old 10-02-2010, 09:44 PM

5,531 posts, read 5,660,695 times
You really shouldn't go to either, IMO, if you enjoy quality and want to support it and have it in the future. We should all support small business and "Ma and Pop" stores whenever possible as they usually offer the best quality and have the smaller profit margins, instead, they ENJOY what they do and feel fulfilled doing it (most of the time). I like that, and I know companies like these are surviving the market by LOWERING COSTS, via quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products