Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 03:47 AM

13,563 posts, read 15,490,042 times

Advertisements

In a recent Amazon order, I was charged $4.99 for shipping for one of the items from a third party vendor. However, after the item from the third party vendor arrived, I saw $1.95 on the package. So then, the extra $3 I paid was for somebody to put my order in an envelope?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 04:27 AM

11,548 posts, read 52,913,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exitus Acta Probat View Post
In a recent Amazon order, I was charged $4.99 for shipping for one of the items from a third party vendor. However, after the item from the third party vendor arrived, I saw $1.95 on the package. So then, the extra $3 I paid was for somebody to put my order in an envelope?
that was a "shipping and handling" charge, which includes the actual cost of shipment, the packaging materials, and a cost of handling the package (preparing for shipment, getting it to the shipper, etc).

On a flat fee basis for small items, this may or may not represent those costs of operation and in some cases, the company may use the S&H charges as a profit center for the business. I've seen small items bring in more profit for the S&H side of the business than the profit on the product with some companies.

That's why it's necessary to verify what a product will cost to ship it to you before ordering it. I've seen this frequently when dealing with on-line purchases, so you must look at the total cost of the item delivered to you. Sometimes it's just not worth it compared to buying locally at a higher price for the item.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:01 PM

23,709 posts, read 30,578,252 times
Next time google the item you're looking for and see if there is a better price and shipping combo. I've found ordering items directly from the 3rd party vendor is less than ordering it through Amazon. Its like the stair threads I just recieved. They were 14.99 plus 6.99 for shipping at Amazon, but yet at the website for the vendor it was 12.99 plus 1.99. I guess they have to up the price inorder to pay Amazon for listing it. I've noticed these upcharges on Amazon numerous times compared to getting it directly from the 3rd party vendor.

Old 08-16-2012, 12:06 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,985,403 times
Sellers on Amazon cannot negotiate shipping prices. Amazon sets the shipping price. So it's not the seller charging you $4.99. It's Amazon charging you $4.99 and passing it down to the seller.

Amazon.com Help: Shipping Rates and Services

Old 08-28-2012, 04:58 PM

5 posts, read 7,608 times
i used to be an ebay platinum seller. I'm going to share something with you guys i never really told anyone. eBay charges outrageous fees for sellers to list their product. Amazon is even worse. As a former seller, I used to have to think of ways to keep as much of my money as possible. "If" I had the product in stock and already packed, I knew this could make it across the US in 3 business days using USPS 1st class mail. It cost less than $2.00. But when I sold something I would charge $4.99 and say it would arrive in 3 business days via USPS priority shipping. Since I knew that I kicked arse in shipping, I looked it as an incentive. The only time I would do this was if I could do same day shipping.

So when I saved $2 per shipment across 250 shipments, that was $500 per month that I kept instead of the Post Office keeping it. The packages always got to the customer before the stated time on the ad.

Old 08-28-2012, 05:06 PM

10,009 posts, read 17,917,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smallfries1 View Post
i used to be an ebay platinum seller. I'm going to share something with you guys i never really told anyone. eBay charges outrageous fees for sellers to list their product. Amazon is even worse. As a former seller, I used to have to think of ways to keep as much of my money as possible. "If" I had the product in stock and already packed, I knew this could make it across the US in 3 business days using USPS 1st class mail. It cost less than $2.00. But when I sold something I would charge $4.99 and say it would arrive in 3 business days via USPS priority shipping. Since I knew that I kicked arse in shipping, I looked it as an incentive. The only time I would do this was if I could do same day shipping.

So when I saved $2 per shipment across 250 shipments, that was $500 per month that I kept instead of the Post Office keeping it. The packages always got to the customer before the stated time on the ad.
Um, but if you said it would arrive by PRIORITY MAIL, that should have meant you sent it by PRIORITY MAIL. So you lied to all your customers?

Old 08-29-2012, 08:00 AM

22,247 posts, read 47,165,320 times
Quote:

Actually, that would be money your CUSTOMERS could have kept if you didn't lie to them!

Old 08-29-2012, 10:31 PM

12,969 posts, read 28,263,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karen_in_nh_2012 View Post
Um, but if you said it would arrive by PRIORITY MAIL, that should have meant you sent it by PRIORITY MAIL. So you lied to all your customers?
Ummmm... Priority Mail IS First Class Mail.

First Class Mail over 13 oz. is called Priority Mail.

If he just said his shipping & handling charge was $4.99 and would arrive in 3 days, no foul.

But I agree that calling it Priority Mail implied that the shipping weight was more than it really was.

Old 08-30-2012, 02:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 40,985,403 times
Quote:

I don't sell on Amazon so I don't know their fees... but eBay fees are fairly low. I'm a big seller on eBay and only pay 13%-16% in fees.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:43 PM

14,362 posts, read 20,431,323 times
I sold a book on Ebay the other day. Rather heavy book.
I had my shipping and handling at $5.99.
The buyer, after he bought the book, then tells me, he just noticed, the shipping is higher than Ebay suggest for books which is $4.00.
He came slightly close to demanding that I change it to $4.00.
I did, and then when I created the shipping label it was $3.97.
If it had been a few ounces more it would have cost me about $4.14 even with media mail.
He got the book for far less, than other sellers got, for the same book.

That $4.00 limit has also prevented me from selling a set of books.
As well as more than one old magazine in a lot of 2 or more.
I have a very old set of books from early 1900's.
The weight far exceeds the $4.00 shipping limit, set by Ebay. Which they do in certain categories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products