U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 07:53 PM

66 posts, read 354,178 times

Advertisements

Hi Momark-
Thanks for all the valuable information! You really know your stuff! It is an antique ring in (I believe) white gold with filigree work. It has a diamond in the center (which I know is real) and two tiny baguettes on the sides. It was my grandmother's as a young girl, which she left to me. Thanks to all who responded! Great information
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2007, 05:03 AM

17,835 posts, read 30,187,410 times
jackie
I can picture the ring, I adore that style of antique rings. I call them "basket" settings. sometimes you will also see that style with 2 sapphires baguettes instead of diamonds
If you look inside the band you should see a stamp that will tell you what the gold is,
14 kt or 585
18kt or 750
plat = platimum
from the setting you described I would not be surprised if it is 18k white gold or even platimum these were very popular metals used in that era.

from what I have seen thats the going price on apprasials

I use to work for a guy who bought diamonds and antique jewerly I learned quite a bit from him.
I carry a loup in my purse well because you just never know

Momark
I am telling you we must be lost relatives with our similar backgrounds in jewerly and credit
one of these days we will have to compare notes

karla

Old 04-05-2007, 08:42 AM

192 posts, read 803,721 times
MoMark, as always, is the resident jewelry expert! :-)

I would also add, however, that sometimes an additional step may be necessary when trying to determine if a natural stone is a ruby or a garnet. Many experienced jewelers can tell just by the color and be right 90% of the time. I had a pendant that was sold to me years ago by a jeweler as a ruby (and priced accordingly); however the color was darker, deeper and of a more brownish-red hue than rubies usually are. Eventually I decided to have the stone re-set into a ring and took it to my current jeweler who is also a designer (has his own line of jewelry). When he looked at the stone he said it was garnet. I said No, it's ruby. Three of four other jewelers' opinions came back as "garnet" versus "ruby" but none were 100% certain because the refraction was more like ruby. Finally the entire matter was settled once and for all by a chemical test: The stone was indeed a (natural) ruby.

Normally I wouldn't have gone to all that much trouble but the difference in value between a 1-carat natural ruby and a 1-carat garnet is considerable.

Old 04-05-2007, 10:16 AM

2,814 posts, read 12,146,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post

Momark
I am telling you we must be lost relatives with our similar backgrounds in jewerly and credit
one of these days we will have to compare notes

karla
I think so too Karla! I think I have the manager job, but have to wait for the formal offer and guess what...it's credit cards!
As for gems n' stuff, yep. I like to get involved. My neighbor has a wholesale tax license and can get all the goodies really cheap. His wife wears a 3 carat marquise diamond on one hand and a 3.25 carat round brilliant on the other. He's a very large man himself with sausage fingers and he's got huge diamond rings too (people in Missouri who like bling bling show it!).
He has sources he memoes from and is the resident "diamond" provider for this whole rural area! During the day you'd never know as he's Farmer John in his coveralls and his wife gets all dirty with the Dixie Mowers!
And Windflower,
I worked with a woman one time who had a ruby that looked like a garnet. It was very dark red and it was difficult to tell. I'm glad you went to a professional who confirmed by testing it was ruby and not garnet. The refraction index couldn't be close as the two stones are completely different!

Old 05-01-2007, 03:38 PM

157 posts, read 446,059 times
Default diamond appraisal

I have a question. I hope the OP doesn't mind me throwing this in.

When a Gemological Institute of America (GIA) certified diamond is appraised for insurance purposes, should the appraiser be given the original GIA certificate? As a reference tool? The appraiser is a Graduate Gemologist of the GIA and a Certified Gemologist (American Gem Society).

Is it better not to give the appraiser the certificate to ensure that the appraisal is independent? It’s not necessarily a matter of his skill that is the issue here. I just feel that giving the certificate might introduce unintended biases in the evaluation.

Last edited by desertgirl; 05-01-2007 at 05:02 PM..

Old 05-01-2007, 03:51 PM

Desertgirl
I wouldn't, I would want to see what he has to say then compare the two.
If there is a big difference then you could bring it up.
One thing I always tell people "know your diamond" when you bought the diamond or are having it appraised they should show you the stone under a microscope and a loop and point out everything they have listed on the appraisal.
For example : there is a "feather" at 6 o'clock, an inclusion at 2 o'clock and so on. You should also know if you have a rough or a polished "girdle"
That way when you take the ring in for repair or resetting you know you are getting your stone. Which is why I always stress only taking your "important" jewelry to reputable jewelers
karla

Old 05-01-2007, 05:08 PM

157 posts, read 446,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by myfask View Post
Desertgirl
I wouldn't, I would want to see what he has to say then compare the two.
If there is a big difference then you could bring it up.
One thing I always tell people "know your diamond" when you bought the diamond or are having it appraised they should show you the stone under a microscope and a loop and point out everything they have listed on the appraisal.
For example : there is a "feather" at 6 o'clock, an inclusion at 2 o'clock and so on. You should also know if you have a rough or a polished "girdle"
That way when you take the ring in for repair or resetting you know you are getting your stone. Which is why I always stress only taking your "important" jewelry to reputable jewelers
karla
Karla,
The info you gave was very helpful. I definitely learned a thing or two from you and MoMark. I didn't know about the *girdle* part and whether it's polished or rough and the location of inclusions/feathers. Thank you so much.

Old 05-01-2007, 07:44 PM

Your welcome
the "girdle" is the edge right under the facet area

karla
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products