Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2007, 12:41 PM

66 posts, read 377,309 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me how much it cost to have a piece of jewelry appraised? This may seem like a dumb question, not even sure if I'm in the right forum, but I can't seem to get any advice on the topic? I have called some jewelers and I was told $75 and up for an appraisal. Does this seem right? It seems so expensive. It's an antique ring that I want to have appraised. Please, if anyone has any advice or knows where I can get a cheaper appraisal, I would be most grateful. (I live in Phoenix). Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2007, 12:54 PM

10,203 posts, read 27,118,785 times
Auction houses may appraise at no cost. I know I had an inherited piece or two, and had them appraised at Sotheby's--at their expense. It was 19thc and they are always interested in seeing pieces they might pick up for a sale. I'm fairly certain there is more than one auction house is in Phoenix.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie30 View Post
Can anyone tell me how much it cost to have a piece of jewelry appraised? This may seem like a dumb question, not even sure if I'm in the right forum, but I can't seem to get any advice on the topic? I have called some jewelers and I was told $75 and up for an appraisal. Does this seem right? It seems so expensive. It's an antique ring that I want to have appraised. Please, if anyone has any advice or knows where I can get a cheaper appraisal, I would be most grateful. (I live in Phoenix). Thanks!

Old 04-04-2007, 01:03 PM

2,976 posts, read 13,373,512 times
I believe MoMark was an appraiser early in his career - contact him.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:16 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,268,313 times
There may be a difference in an appraisal which is written out for insurance and such and in a valuation which could be a verbal thing. You may want to ask.

Old 04-04-2007, 01:33 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
All's I knows is cut, color, clarity, and carat. Beyond that, they're just pretty rocks. A steel band and a hunk of granite would work if they were polished just right.

Old 04-04-2007, 02:44 PM

12,981 posts, read 14,532,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JavaPhil View Post
All's I knows is cut, color, clarity, and carat. Beyond that, they're just pretty rocks. A steel band and a hunk of granite would work if they were polished just right.
I take it you're a single guy???

Old 04-04-2007, 03:00 PM

364 posts, read 527,141 times
Interesting someone started this thread as I was going to. My mother wants me to sell her wedding ring for her and I don't really know how to go about getting the best price.

To answer the OP's question I was told $79.95 for an apprasial today at Freidman's.

Old 04-04-2007, 03:43 PM

2,815 posts, read 12,986,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie30 View Post
It sounds expensive for sure, but that's about the price average I'd say. It's even more for multiple pieces. There's quite a bit of work usually involved in assessing a piece and often times antique rings are set with synthetic or glass stones which everyone believed to be real for decades.
If it's diamond, then the stone is usually measured for diameter and depth and a carat weight is calculated. If the stone is a modern brilliant, it's easy, if it's an old mine-cut or European-cut, it's more difficult because the top of the stone that slopes upward to the flat top (the crown) is often steeper and the pavilion (the bottom part of the stone that begins at the girdle (where the prongs clutch the stone) ends at the point at the bottom and the older stones are steeper in both which means they can be the same width and diameter as a modern brilliant, but contain more diamond weight because of the cut...so it gets tricky. Then you have to measure color which is difficult without removing the stone. It's an educated guess if the stone must remain set.
If it's a colored stone, then there are all kinds of tests you can do to determine what the stone actually is. High magnification to look for characteristic inclusions is one way, also a refractive index test which measures the speed at which light goes through the stone which is different for each gem species.
Glass stones are among the easiest to ID under magnification because they usually have small chips and the chipped areas always have swirly breaks. Synthetic rubies and sapphires are relatively easy to spot under high magnification as well because they are grown as "boules" which look like corndogs of gem material in the laboratory. The growth is like a tree and you get layers which are curved as the boule is round. Under magnification, you can often see the curved growth lines which would never be possible in a natural ruby or sapphire.
Synthetic stones (the same chemical make-up as their genuine counterpart) have slightly different readings than the naturals.
So a gemologist/appraiser is trained to use all kinds of special tools to determine what the stone is, measure its weight, evaluate its quality, determine if genuine or not, and then in comparison to current price charts, he or she can determine a fair market value for the piece.
Don't forget also that the metal has to be tested to make sure the stamp inside the ring matches it's true composition.
It's not a five minute process. I'd say the price you were quoted was fair.
(fyi...if you have what you think are real pearls, if you rub one against your teeth and it feels gritty and rough...it's real. If it feels smooth, it's fake...and...that's true!)

Old 04-04-2007, 04:51 PM

3,774 posts, read 11,228,177 times
Not single, just not romantically inclined. re: my reply to men's fall classes. If SWMBO wants jewelry, She can buy it Her own darn self, because every piece I ever bought wound up in a pawn shop for Her gambling habit.

Old 04-04-2007, 05:03 PM

1,590 posts, read 1,668,639 times
I used to do metal work as a hobby, and sometimes people would ask me, as a favor, to fix their "gold" jewelry...I'd throw it in the pickling acid, preparatory to soldering it, and more than once, it started to dissolve. Fake, totally.

I began to be a little cautious about who I'd do this for, because once the person wanted to blame me!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products