U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 11:58 AM

2,111 posts, read 7,302,178 times

Advertisements

My wife subscribed to a magazine (Family Circle). When renewal came, she canceled. Now it started all over again, a magazine with a bill. She wrote to them to cancel previously. What should we do, ignore it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2009, 12:01 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,495,154 times
Write "CANCELED" on the bill and send it back, with the magazine, certified mail with a return receipt. When you get the receipt back, call the publisher to confirm that the subscription was indeed canceled.

Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,472,858 times
Readers Digest turned me over to a collection agency when I canceled...

Thing was I never received another book after I canceled.. But they still turned it over to them.

Took me months to fix it....

Old 06-04-2009, 12:32 PM

955 posts, read 3,349,966 times
it should not auto - renew - often they will send a magazine with a bill attached saying IF you want to renew this is the bill - I just trash it.

Old 06-04-2009, 01:00 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,456,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by taurus430 View Post
My wife subscribed to a magazine (Family Circle). When renewal came, she canceled. Now it started all over again, a magazine with a bill. She wrote to them to cancel previously. What should we do, ignore it?
call publisher again and let them know you are recieving the magazine in error and do not plan on paying for thier error since magizine was canceled.

but also take big note EVERYONE it takes more then one month to cancel a magazine. If you start a mag subscription make sure it is not an auto renewal type. what happens is you cancel and the mag keeps coming but the real people who print and send to mag don't get the cancel notice till late by that time one or two months of mags are ready to be sent.

In short they live on magazine time not true life standard time. Ever notice how it takes a couple of months to recieve your first issue... it take that long to cycle into the system. It also takes that long to cycle out.

Moral of the story... if you are going to cancel... cancel as early as possible.

post note if you subscribe via a service like Publisher CLearing house or someother mass marketing of mags.... it will take a battle to cancel for most mags. If you order direct from the source it should be easier.

Old 06-04-2009, 09:28 PM

7,253 posts, read 11,393,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusySocialWorker View Post
it should not auto - renew - often they will send a magazine with a bill attached saying IF you want to renew this is the bill - I just trash it.
I've subscribed to Popular Mechanics for twenty or so years. I decided to cancel this year as I just wasn't reading the new copies each month.

Much to my surprise, Hearst Publishing tells me that I agreed to auto renewal somewheres over the past few years (not that I would agree to do that).

They will not provide an 800 number to call. They keep referring you to contact them via the internet. I don't have the subscription information from the mag label since I don't have any copies.

So now they keep sending a bill. I keep writing "Cancelled", "Stop sending mags", etc on the invoice and mail it back (with my stamps on the envelope).

I hope they've got the message!

Old 06-04-2009, 09:44 PM

2,111 posts, read 7,302,178 times
No more subscriptions for me. This happened with the local newspaper. I was on auto pilot, but I didn't sign for it. I had to take out 3 more months, so now it's over.

Old 06-04-2009, 10:17 PM

7,774 posts, read 13,226,987 times
When you get a magazine, write across the cover "RETURN TO SENDER", and drop it in the mail box. Same with the bill after that. Did that twice and, after a couple of months, I didn't get anything else.
If they write you about it you can also remind them that federal postal laws say if you get something you didn't order, then you can consider it a gift. I've done that too!

Old 06-04-2009, 11:32 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
Tell them you have reported it to the federal trade commison. return the magazine and the mail as stated.

Old 06-05-2009, 10:14 AM

18,546 posts, read 55,477,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stripes17 View Post
I've subscribed to Popular Mechanics for twenty or so years. I decided to cancel this year as I just wasn't reading the new copies each month.

Much to my surprise, Hearst Publishing tells me that I agreed to auto renewal somewheres over the past few years (not that I would agree to do that).

They will not provide an 800 number to call. They keep referring you to contact them via the internet. I don't have the subscription information from the mag label since I don't have any copies.

So now they keep sending a bill. I keep writing "Cancelled", "Stop sending mags", etc on the invoice and mail it back (with my stamps on the envelope).

I hope they've got the message!
I went a round with them a while back, when I paid for the subscription with a credit card. I wrote a (snail mail) letter to the CEO, the Editor, the head of accounting, the head of marketing and a couple of others letting them know EXACTLY what I thought. Unfortunately it is one of the better magazines of the type, so what I now do is subscribe from an insert - crossing out any auto-renew wording and writing NO! in big letters, keeping a copy of that, and paying by check that also states NO AUTO RENEWAL on the memo line. You can also have the subscription in your pet's name. Of course this means your pet might not be able to qualify for a credit card in the future...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products