U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2009, 12:22 PM

1,271 posts, read 3,683,562 times

Advertisements

I normally pay my bills like I should but for whatever reason when I paid it this time I call myself rounding it out (or so I thought). Why did I get a call from my teenage daughter (who is now on Summer break) stating that "all the electricity is out? Knowing that my bill had been paid for the month I'm thinking there may have been some sort of power outage in my area (which has happened before) or that it was some sort of oversight. I was also very worried though because it takes all of 10 minutes to get extremely hot in the house and with the kids being out of school, that's not a good thing (asthmatic child). I called my energy provider (on my way to work, in rush hour traffic!) to inquire about what was going on and was told " yes you have been disconnected because your account is 22 cents past due"!

I thought "I'm being punked right"? they couldn't possibly be disconnecting me for something that could easily be written off or added on to the next bill ....needless to say I have a 22 cents charge on my credit card AND it took 4-6 hrs for a technician to restore the electricity.

Gimme a f'in break

Has anyone had this happen to them before?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2009, 01:04 PM

5,214 posts, read 8,220,891 times
I haven't had anything like that happen. But shut the power off over 22-cents? Disgraceful! Sounds pretty sleezy. Does the power company farm out their billing? I'd suggest hanging on to the billing statement, then take your story to the newspaper. It might not resolve anything, but the power company could end up with a mighty dim view from the public. I'd also suggest contacting the Public Utility Commission in your state about the matter. I agree that the power company could've just as easily have added the amount to your next bill. Did the power company charge you for having someone come out to turn the power back on?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:26 PM

Yup they charged me a disconnect fee.

I've been waiting for a supervisor to call me regarding it as well. I think I may go to the PUC about it, because something it would seem that there was some sort of ethics violation that happened.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightBazaar View Post
I haven't had anything like that happen. But shut the power off over 22-cents? Disgraceful! Sounds pretty sleezy. Does the power company farm out their billing? I'd suggest hanging on to the billing statement, then take your story to the newspaper. It might not resolve anything, but the power company could end up with a mighty dim view from the public. I'd also suggest contacting the Public Utility Commission in your state about the matter. I agree that the power company could've just as easily have added the amount to your next bill. Did the power company charge you for having someone come out to turn the power back on?

Old 06-05-2009, 01:31 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,318,146 times
That's a story I'd like to see on the local news.

Old 06-05-2009, 01:41 PM

16,746 posts, read 41,799,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bjones1976 View Post

I normally pay my bills like I should but for whatever reason when I paid it this time I call myself rounding it out (or so I thought). Why did I get a call from my teenage daughter (who is now on Summer break) stating that "all the electricity is out? Knowing that my bill had been paid for the month I'm thinking there may have been some sort of power outage in my area (which has happened before) or that it was some sort of oversight. I was also very worried though because it takes all of 10 minutes to get extremely hot in the house and with the kids being out of school, that's not a good thing (asthmatic child). I called my energy provider (on my way to work, in rush hour traffic!) to inquire about what was going on and was told " yes you have been disconnected because your account is 22 cents past due"!

I thought "I'm being punked right"? they couldn't possibly be disconnecting me for something that could easily be written off or added on to the next bill ....needless to say I have a 22 cents charge on my credit card AND it took 4-6 hrs for a technician to restore the electricity.

Gimme a f'in break

Has anyone had this happen to them before?
This is a little hard to believe. I have never heard of a power company doing this without some kind of advanced notice and due process. Some states even have laws prohibiting it. Where do you live?

Old 06-05-2009, 02:05 PM

20,419 posts, read 38,494,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post
This is a little hard to believe. I have never heard of a power company doing this without some kind of advanced notice and due process. Some states even have laws prohibiting it. Where do you live?
That's what I was thinking. It usually takes months (and plenty of notices) to do a disconnect around here!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:00 PM

1,975 posts, read 3,331,344 times
I can sympathize with the OP. I live in NJ and our water company tried to disconnect us. They sent a guy to our house to tell us the water would be shut off at midnight. I asked him why and he said we were 14 days past due! I called the water company and finally on the third call in 30 minutes I spoke to someone with who verified that we were NOT past due at all. To this day I still feel sorry for the worker they sent to our house...that poor kid's ears are probably still ringing!

I don't find it hard to believe at all.

Old 06-05-2009, 03:04 PM

Texas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptnRn View Post

Old 06-05-2009, 03:07 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,644,971 times
That does sound insane!

No, nothing like this has ever happened to me!

Old 06-05-2009, 03:08 PM

Not here. I know in the midwest your bill can reach hundreds of dollars before you get a "warning" letter let alone a disconnect. Even if I had received something in the mail (which I think I would have recalled a 22 cents disconnect notice).....

22 cents? Are you freaking kidding me?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitt Chick View Post
That's what I was thinking. It usually takes months (and plenty of notices) to do a disconnect around here!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products