Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 06:31 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,007,052 times

Advertisements

Hi,

I wanted to buy an inflatable mattress because I plan on moving and dont want the hassle of moving a large spring mattress.

So what is the best inflatable mattress to buy that will be the most comfortable? I want to use this in place of a regular spring mattress.

Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2009, 07:50 PM

23,550 posts, read 70,038,361 times
Hustler probably has some inflatables that are more comfortable than most inflatable mattresses. I'd rather sleep on the floor than on most of them.

Old 06-09-2009, 08:15 PM

1,679 posts, read 3,007,052 times
If an inflatable is not that great, maybe I could use a coushion from a fouton.

Old 06-09-2009, 09:11 PM

914 posts, read 4,436,078 times
It depends on how picky a sleeper you are and how much you like to sleep on hard surfaces. Many high quality futon mattress actually are spring mattresses now. Last year we bought a foam futon for guests to sleep on, and it was still incredibly heavy. If you like something very soft, moving a futon mattress that suits you will probably not be much easier than moving a traditional mattress. But you if like something a bit more firm, a less cushiony futon might work quite well!

I have always really liked sleeping on inflatable mattresses (I like a soft cushy bed), but I've never done it long term. I have always wanted to try the fancy looking aerobeds.

Old 06-10-2009, 11:10 AM

414 posts, read 1,857,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
It depends on how picky a sleeper you are and how much you like to sleep on hard surfaces. Many high quality futon mattress actually are spring mattresses now. Last year we bought a foam futon for guests to sleep on, and it was still incredibly heavy. If you like something very soft, moving a futon mattress that suits you will probably not be much easier than moving a traditional mattress. But you if like something a bit more firm, a less cushiony futon might work quite well!

I have always really liked sleeping on inflatable mattresses (I like a soft cushy bed), but I've never done it long term. I have always wanted to try the fancy looking aerobeds.
I have an aerobed. Our guests sleep on it when they visit and all say it's comfortable. My husband and I sleep on it when we go camping and it definitely beats a sleeping bag.

Old 06-10-2009, 01:19 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,284,134 times
Definately get one that has an automatic air pump! We have a coleman, it works just fine.

Old 06-10-2009, 04:13 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,947,752 times
Until I had my furniture moved, I purchased two from WalMart. The mid priced ones with the velour top that keeps the sheets from slipping.
I got a double thick single size and a one layer queen size. I also got the blow up pump for around $19 or something. (WORTH every cent.)
Both of the mattresses are comfortable, durable and have been used time and time again when I have guests.
I couldn't say enough good about either one.

Old 06-10-2009, 05:21 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,005,052 times
We used an inflatable when we moved cross country and knew our regular bed was going to be delayed a few weeks. It was a collapsible, self-inflating bed and stand. The self-inflating part is essential, especially becaise it was also self-DEflating. That's critical when you want to pack the thing back up. While it wasn't 5-star quality, it was certainly comfy enough for a few weeks. And it was sturdy enough for two adults.

Caveats: it lost a bit of air gradually, so we had to pump it up every few days. It was... COLD. I'm not sure why but it always felt cold. I sort of liked it .

Oh, you asked for a recommendation. I remember we ordered it from a mail order catalog. Maybe Front Gate? I can't remember. I remember it was fairly expensive, though. I think that's because it came with a stand, so it was regular bed height, not just a mattress on the floor. And it deflates and packs up into it's own little rolling suitcase thing.

Old 06-10-2009, 06:37 PM

4,627 posts, read 10,445,483 times
We have an Aerobed. They come with an electric air pump. Granted they do lose air slowly, but follow the directions (make sure the bed is at room temp prior to inflation) and it should be fine. They're quite comfortable. If you can, try to get one at Costco or any box-type store - about $30.00 off retail price! I think I paid about $95.00 or so.

They're absolutely great for moving and don't take up much room at all. Good luck with your move!

Old 06-12-2009, 04:25 AM

4,263 posts, read 8,134,647 times
I bought a really nice Aerobed off of Craigslist, a queen one with the balancers on the bottom sides with the autopump, and paid $50 bucks for it. Man, it comes in handy, and was worth every penny
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products