U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 06:24 AM

4,367 posts, read 6,544,001 times

Advertisements

As we all know gas prices are rising again and as before retail prices are beginning to rise also. I found one item I buy at Wmart was selling for $2.50 before last years gas increases. As gas prices rose then the price went to $3.50. When gas prices went down that item remained the same. Yesterday I noticed that item is now $4 and when I asked about it I was told it was due to the recent increases in gas prices. I don't see how these price increases can be justified and it seems to me that our politicians need to look into this price gouging. (They got their noses in everything else why not look out for the little guy for a change).

For those that would say, don't buy it, I didn't, but this is an item I can do without. What happens when these increases are extended into milk and bread and other food basics? These unjustified prices increase will force more and more crimes of necessity that will eventually lead to riots.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2009, 03:20 PM

53,412 posts, read 42,855,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
As we all know gas prices are rising again and as before retail prices are beginning to rise also. I found one item I buy at Wmart was selling for $2.50 before last years gas increases. As gas prices rose then the price went to $3.50. When gas prices went down that item remained the same. Yesterday I noticed that item is now $4 and when I asked about it I was told it was due to the recent increases in gas prices. I don't see how these price increases can be justified and it seems to me that our politicians need to look into this price gouging. (They got their noses in everything else why not look out for the little guy for a change).

For those that would say, don't buy it, I didn't, but this is an item I can do without. What happens when these increases are extended into milk and bread and other food basics? These unjustified prices increase will force more and more crimes of necessity that will eventually lead to riots.
1- They did investigate last year. They had a whole dog and pony show where they grilled oil execs and then basically conceded that there wasn't gouging.
2- Go google "how exchange rates work", it helps explain some of this.
3- I highly doubt that the walmart worker had any REAL clue about why the items price went up. I'd consider looking for the item at a competitor or see if you could buy bulk on-line or something. They currently have 2-litres of 7-up at my grocery store for 79cents when it's usually 1.39, are they gouging me at other times?

On a humorous note, I go to walmart....most of the people I see in there could easily live for a year without eating and aren't capable of a brisk stroll let alone rioting.

Old 06-15-2009, 04:02 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,217,857 times
The phrase "price gouging" is used way too often these days.

Prices go up, and you make a decision whether you want to pay them or forego the item. That's how the market works.

There's no such thing as a "justified" or "unjustified" price increase. The only reason smart companies adjust their prices is to maximize profits.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:27 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,127,415 times
There is alot more to pruicing other than gas cost.In fact one of the most important these days is much of the world that we get alot of things from have inflation and rising standards. Eve here things that it takes to grow food that includes meeting regualtions has increased.The price of a vehicle includes slaaires;rising steel prices ;tensportatio like veryhting else. If you get a riase that inceases prices.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:46 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,273,417 times
It seems that every single station in town raised the price from 2.58 to 2.62 in a matter of two to three hours this afternoon. I know this is the case for at least 5 different brands at probably 8 or 9 stations.

Must be a coincidence, right

Old 06-15-2009, 09:55 PM

10,425 posts, read 45,093,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
It seems that every single station in town raised the price from 2.58 to 2.62 in a matter of two to three hours this afternoon. I know this is the case for at least 5 different brands at probably 8 or 9 stations.

Must be a coincidence, right
Using this logic and theory, the retailers should be getting 2 to 3 loads of gas dropped per day and each load cost more then the last thereby making the retailer raise the price at the pump.

Yea right...most stations get a load every week to 2 weeks. The retail stations are gouging. One corner station raises theirs a penny and the one across the street raises theirs 2 cents. It's all a scam and we are the suckers.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:04 PM

Retail gas stations make very little money. As consumers drive less and shop for lowest price rather than brand name, many stations are going out of business. There's no gouging going on on the retail level.

Old 06-15-2009, 11:11 PM

Also, because the misuse of the word "gouging" is a pet peeve of mine, please note the actual definition of it from Merriam-Webster:

"to subject to extortion or undue exaction"

Does a four-cent hike per gallon of gas really amount to extortion? Aren't we being a bit too liberal with the word "gouging"? Gouging is when you charge 10 bucks per gallon in a hurricane. Even then it's justified by the market, but that's another topic altogether.

Old 06-16-2009, 08:48 AM

10,425 posts, read 45,093,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Retail gas stations make very little money. As consumers drive less and shop for lowest price rather than brand name, many stations are going out of business. There's no gouging going on on the retail level.
First of all I have never seen nor have I even heard of gas station going out of business. Probably cause it has not happened.

When I was a kid my Dad owned a Hess station. This was back in the early 70s. He made 5 cents per gallon on regular and mid grade, and 6 cents a gallon on premium or hi-test as we used to call it. Today we still know the family who runs that old station. They make from 25 to 30 cents per gallon.. Most average stations pump from 3000 to 6000 gallons per month. Do the math. Does that sound like very little money to you? Add to that the C-store sales which are also top retail prices and you are makng bank. In the 70s we had no C-stores. It was a gas station with some auto repair bays. Hess stations had none of that. We made the real money pushing quarts of oil that we made 25 cents profit per quart on. Hess required us to do all windshields, check oil and fill the washer fluid on every single car.

Yes they are all gouging today. But that is the American way isn't it.

Old 06-16-2009, 03:22 PM

19,147 posts, read 19,988,682 times
Desertsun41, you might want to Google gas stations going out of business and you will see a lot of them going belly up.

If you were near me, I could give you a tour of closed or demolished stations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products