U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-11-2009, 07:12 AM

1,804 posts, read 6,361,347 times

Advertisements

Good points about the power aspect, and the kid's ability to handle it. Personal choice obviously, and disposable income factor in. But to me a child with a child's mindset cannot appreciate the value of such a thing, and behaves accordingly. Not all, but many.

I guess I am in the minority. But I would never allow my child to independently and on a regular basis drive my luxury car let alone buy him one. To me a fancy car is a reward for the work I have done in my life. There is a such thing a giving too much.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 AM

22,029 posts, read 23,571,413 times
Quote:
But I would never allow my child to independently and on a regular basis drive my luxury car let alone buy him one. To me a fancy car is a reward for the work I have done in my life. There is a such thing a giving too much.
I totally agree with you....both my kids know that regardless of any amount of wealth I might have, I would never in a million years buy them a new or expensive car. I could win the Powerball tomorrow and they'd be driving reliable and modest used cars. They each know kids who have been given nice new cars but what I tell them is I feel sorry for those kids because by giving them so much, their parents have taken away the excitement and self satisfaction that comes when one is finally able to afford something special. What happens when, after being given such expensive cars as young teens, they go to purchase their first car as an employed adult, using their own purchasing power, and they buy a Camry or something. I would think there would be a bit of a let down. What should be an exciting event (purchasing one's first car on their own) would be a bit of a downer. Maybe not, but that's how I would think.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:29 AM
NCN

21,135 posts, read 22,201,473 times
Your child's first car needs to be the safest vehicle you can afford for them, because of the stupid driving they do. You see what the child does, his parents will hear about it in about ten years when he decides to tell them. The only thing about this that is you business is the way he is driving. Don't bother telling the parents, they won't believe you about "their little angel." Tell the police. It is their job to prevent this kind of driving.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:52 AM

22,029 posts, read 23,571,413 times
Safe doesn't necessarily equal expensive though. Most cars these days are safe and because teen driving behavior can change based on the car - if they are "showing off" etc I would be very hesitant to allow a teen to drive what might be considered a "flashy" car - unless that was the only car available. But that is just me. Obviously many parents feel the need to purchase new/expensive cars for their kids. Their business.

Old 07-11-2009, 08:57 AM

56,666 posts, read 75,724,303 times
i think i know where the money comes from the the multi billion dollar drug trade, not from junior.

Old 07-11-2009, 10:44 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,460,091 times
I don't care... and there is no reason for the OP to care either.

Old 07-11-2009, 11:27 AM

914 posts, read 4,011,421 times
I really liked what my parents did for me. I think it worked well. When I was 16 they bought me an inexpensive, older, safe car. It was not flashy at all, but I loved it because it was mine! Then, when I graduated from college with a spotless driving record, they bought me a much nicer (and much faster ) car as a graduation gift.

I remember when I was in high school, there was this girl whose parents parents had bought her a moderately priced used car. She kept getting into accidents. Her fourth accident totaled her car. If that had been my kid, she would have been given a but pass. But her parents replaced her old car with a brand new car. I totally didn't get that. Perhaps they thought she would be more careful in a nicer car? I don't buy that. She went around school bragging about how she was glad she got into all those accidents because she loved her new car.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:02 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,133,310 times
I see just as many doing the same thng in their cehaper cars. the car makes little difference as long as it lower powered. Shopuld have seen whe they all had 200 plus horsepowewr and mnay much beyond that.

Old 07-13-2009, 01:28 PM

2,788 posts, read 5,401,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Yes, there's always a story. It is his car not the family car. Just wondering what others thought of this.
As long as I'm not paying for it, I don't care. While I would never personally buy my child a luxury car, what someone else does is entirely their call and their business.

I have too much to worry about in my own life than to concern myself with whose kid is driving a Range Rover, Lexus, etc.

Old 07-14-2009, 01:16 PM

887 posts, read 2,689,229 times
Its just a Lexus. Its not a Maserati or anything. Why get so worked over a Lexus?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or