U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-14-2009, 01:22 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,979,132 times

Advertisements

Isn't this thread more suited to the Parenting or Automotive Forums?

Old 07-14-2009, 02:35 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,357,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratford, Ct. Resident View Post
Isn't this thread more suited to the Parenting or Automotive Forums?
Could be. I was thinking more of getting perspectives on parent's purchases for their teens.

Old 07-14-2009, 02:41 PM

8,778 posts, read 16,979,132 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Could be. I was thinking more of getting perspectives on parent's purchases for their teens.
Cool. I think you'll definitely get more mileage if you moved it to the Parenting forum though.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:22 PM

914 posts, read 4,008,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Its just a Lexus. Its not a Maserati or anything. Why get so worked over a Lexus?
Because is it still an overpowered car. Almost any luxury car is. It is what the kind of person who buys a Luxury car wants. (And, if you are an experienced driver, a little extra power can be a safety feature. But for people with less experience, extra oomph can mean sudden loss of control.) A base model Lexus has a V8, a fancy Lexus has a V12.

My first car had a four-cylinder engine. Oh yeah.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:43 PM

15,566 posts, read 36,920,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jillaceae View Post
Because is it still an overpowered car. Almost any luxury car is. It is what the kind of person who buys a Luxury car wants. (And, if you are an experienced driver, a little extra power can be a safety feature. But for people with less experience, extra oomph can mean sudden loss of control.) A base model Lexus has a V8, a fancy Lexus has a V12.

My first car had a four-cylinder engine. Oh yeah.
Actually the ES, IS, and GS series Lexus have 6-cylinders. So, no - not all base model Lexus have 8-cylinders.

Old 07-14-2009, 05:51 PM

1,389 posts, read 3,148,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
Its just a Lexus. Its not a Maserati or anything. Why get so worked over a Lexus?
I'm with LSU Tiger, it is just a Lexus. They are not that nice. It is just a Toyota with a different badge on it, and leather seats.

Edit: my first car was a Camaro with a bad*** 350 in it.

Old 07-14-2009, 08:29 PM

15,087 posts, read 17,816,472 times
Quote:
Should a 17 y/o old drive a luxury car? Not my teen, but a local kid who takes his kid brother to the same sports practice as my son and I see him regularly tooling about in his luxury vehicle. He burns rubber leaving the lot, drive backwards at 30 miles an hour, etc.

Yeah the car is older, but something about this is hankering at me. Of course its really none of my business . But doesn't driving this car send out the wrong message? At 17 a Lexus, then what's next a Bentley at 19?

Granted this kid is NOT the only one. But this is my first experience witnessing this up close, instead of a passing glance while driving past the high school parking lot.
I figure if an individual can afford the car/gas, is insured, and has a valid driver's license, then it is a non-issue. If Mom and Dad bought it, then that's there choice and, again, a non-issue. With that said, I once wanted an ex-police car. My Dad said I'd kill myself so I was stuck with my Mom's '86 Ford Tempo .

Old 07-14-2009, 08:48 PM

3,106 posts, read 2,720,805 times
When my daughter learns to drive I am going to teach her everything I know about driving. I have gone through 4 driving courses where you learn how to respond to what your car is doing. That sad I am going to buy her the safest car I can buy, because no matter how much I can try and teach her or how safe she is, there is some moron how might be drunk or just a horrible driver. I would never forgive myself for saying you young so you get something cheap, when I could give her something I know she will be safe in. I would rather pay more if it gave me better peace of mind, if I could I'd give her a freakin tank.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:24 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,028,539 times
Quote:
Should a 17 y/o old drive a luxury car? Not my teen, but a local kid who takes his kid brother to the same sports practice as my son and I see him regularly tooling about in his luxury vehicle. He burns rubber leaving the lot, drive backwards at 30 miles an hour, etc.

Yeah the car is older, but something about this is hankering at me. Of course its really none of my business . But doesn't driving this car send out the wrong message? At 17 a Lexus, then what's next a Bentley at 19?

Granted this kid is NOT the only one. But this is my first experience witnessing this up close, instead of a passing glance while driving past the high school parking lot.
I'd not worry about a Lexus...it's not considered a luxury car in many parts of the US.

Old 07-14-2009, 09:50 PM

1,804 posts, read 6,357,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I'd not worry about a Lexus...it's not considered a luxury car in many parts of the US.
Interesting. I always thought leather meant luxury. Laugh!

Maybe the Bentley (sp?) then! Maybe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or