Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2009, 09:16 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,929 times

Advertisements

Should a 17 y/o old drive a luxury car? Not my teen, but a local kid who takes his kid brother to the same sports practice as my son and I see him regularly tooling about in his luxury vehicle. He burns rubber leaving the lot, drive backwards at 30 miles an hour, etc.

Yeah the car is older, but something about this is hankering at me. Of course its really none of my business . But doesn't driving this car send out the wrong message? At 17 a Lexus, then what's next a Bentley at 19?

Granted this kid is NOT the only one. But this is my first experience witnessing this up close, instead of a passing glance while driving past the high school parking lot.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:33 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,455,426 times
I think it depends and it's really hard to say what the situation is if you only see him dropping his sibling off for practice. Maybe that is the family car and the only thing available for him to drive. Maybe they got a great deal on it - maybe he spent his own money on it....I'd be more concerned about his driving habits than what he's driving. Specifically, I'd stay out of the way if he is routinely backing up at 30 mph.

Old 07-10-2009, 09:34 PM

11,155 posts, read 29,316,613 times
seems like a typical 17 year to me around here alot of parents buy their kids high end cars to drive around in and they beat the crap out of it don't think to much of it

Old 07-10-2009, 09:41 PM

1,946 posts, read 7,373,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
I think it depends and it's really hard to say what the situation is if you only see him dropping his sibling off for practice. Maybe that is the family car and the only thing available for him to drive. Maybe they got a great deal on it - maybe he spent his own money on it....I'd be more concerned about his driving habits than what he's driving. Specifically, I'd stay out of the way if he is routinely backing up at 30 mph.
Yes, there's always a story. It is his car not the family car. Just wondering what others thought of this.

Old 07-10-2009, 10:07 PM

11,555 posts, read 53,177,205 times
OP ... it's none of your dam# business what the kid drives, nor how he uses the car, who he transports in it, how much it cost him or his family, or any other aspect of what he has ...

Don't you have a life of your own?

Seriously, are you that worried about what others spend their money on?

Old 07-10-2009, 10:54 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,317,959 times
What do you prefer....a 92 lexus, or a 09 honda?

Old 07-11-2009, 12:15 AM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Should a 17 y/o old drive a luxury car? Not my teen, but a local kid who takes his kid brother to the same sports practice as my son and I see him regularly tooling about in his luxury vehicle. He burns rubber leaving the lot, drive backwards at 30 miles an hour, etc.

Yeah the car is older, but something about this is hankering at me. Of course its really none of my business . But doesn't driving this car send out the wrong message? At 17 a Lexus, then what's next a Bentley at 19?

Granted this kid is NOT the only one. But this is my first experience witnessing this up close, instead of a passing glance while driving past the high school parking lot.
You need to take a trip out here to the Coachella Valley. Kids here are driving Lexus, BMW, Mercedes, Land Rover, Jaguar - you name it. It's not that unusual here and no, it doesn't bother me at all. It's normal here.

Old 07-11-2009, 12:53 AM
dgz

806 posts, read 3,393,024 times
I think it just comes down to how much disposable income the parents have. Although, if I had a child, I wouldn't give them a Lexus. In the first few years that kids learn to drive, they are still developing their sense of judgement and being able to estimate distances. Between ages 18-22, I recall having little incidents... accidentally bumping into a car when I was parking... another time, scraping a telephone pole... once braking and accidentally hitting a chain-link fence... backing out of a dark parking place and bumping into a dumpster... Today, I'm an experienced driver and I drive quite well, but I'm glad I had a used 'clunker' back in those days.

Old 07-11-2009, 01:21 AM

914 posts, read 4,444,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgz View Post
I think it just comes down to how much disposable income the parents have. Although, if I had a child, I wouldn't give them a Lexus. In the first few years that kids learn to drive, they are still developing their sense of judgement and being able to estimate distances. Between ages 18-22, I recall having little incidents... accidentally bumping into a car when I was parking... another time, scraping a telephone pole... once braking and accidentally hitting a chain-link fence... backing out of a dark parking place and bumping into a dumpster... Today, I'm an experienced driver and I drive quite well, but I'm glad I had a used 'clunker' back in those days.
I would agree. It seems silly to give someone so inexperienced such an expensive vehicle. The way the OP describes it, the kid is not exactly a safe driver, which could be the OP's business if their kid is ever planning to get in a car with the Lexus kid.

Another thing to consider is that many luxury cars have large, luxury engines that are entirely inappropriate for an inexperienced driver. I remember listening to the radio show Car Talk, when this women named Janet called with a question about the BMV Z-3 she wanted to buy her daughter for her 16th birthday. The woman was completely berated by the hosts for wanting to buy her child a car with more power than she could handle. It was a very famous segment, and although unfortunately the no longer have the call on the Car Talk website, they still have a collections of some quotes and letters regarding the call: Car Talk (http://www.cartalk.com/content/features/Safety/CarsPowerKids/janet.html - broken link)

Personally, I wouldn't waste my money on a Lexus. It is basically a fancied up Toyota. I'd rather pay for the Camry any day.

Old 07-11-2009, 02:10 AM

13,583 posts, read 15,659,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
In West L.A. we have a lot of Iranians too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products