U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 07-13-2009, 08:09 PM

Location: Not far from the "Little Obed River" on the Cumberland Plateau TN
10,589 posts, read 10,231,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
We like Edys. Next time you go to the store look at the top and bottom of the carton. Notice how deep-set each is? Fools the eye.
And I think " Whip" the ice cream...your paying for air.

Last edited by TN Tin Man; 07-13-2009 at 08:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 07-13-2009, 08:57 PM

Location: Not far from the "Little Obed River" on the Cumberland Plateau TN
10,589 posts, read 10,231,880 times
Then theirs the dang plastic coffee jug ~ can piece of horse hockey road apple.... It use to be 5 pounds or was it 3 who knows now... you can't get the coffee out of the dang thing. You end up throwing away at least 2 cups worth.... Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr "But" if you put it in a gallon plastic zip lock and bet the snot out of it you get all most all the coffee you paid for.......

Unread 06-29-2011, 01:56 AM

1 posts, read 617 times
Default Last week was last week for half gallon ice cream in my area

My local save-a-lot has been selling World's Fair ice cream in half gallons until this week, sorry to see this happen. Like many others I would of rather seen the price go up a little than this sham,

Unread 06-29-2011, 08:00 AM

26,365 posts, read 49,396,681 times
What difference does it make? You're paying pretty much same per oz. It might be slightly more expensive as buying in bulk is usually a little cheaper per ounce than smaller sizes.

The only difference is convenience as you will run out more quickly. It all comes down to cost per ounce and those costs are driven by all sorts of factors - including competition.

Unread 06-29-2011, 08:06 AM
Gue

24,120 posts, read 5,198,970 times
Yup~so much has gotten smaller & they still charge the same.

I buy a bag of pistachios at Costco for DH & we put them into a pretty container. Used to be there would be plenty left in the bag. Now trhe container doesn't even fill up.

But it's the same price.

Unread 06-29-2011, 05:46 PM

25,085 posts, read 7,623,968 times
I could go for one right about now... Chocolate and nuts and carmel... ummmmm how healing

Unread 06-29-2011, 06:50 PM
Status: "Just saying "Hello" can lead to a million things." (set 8 days ago)

19,001 posts, read 17,983,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
What difference does it make? You're paying pretty much same per oz.
The difference is that someone thinks that customers are dumb! That we will not notice the air filled containers, "redesigned" shrinking food packages, different serving sizes, and ever changing ways how to figure the price per unit.
And no - we are not paying the same per oz!
If, lets say 64 oz orange juice was $3 and now 59 oz the same juice cost $3, then the price per oz has been increased. No???

Unread 06-29-2011, 07:19 PM

9,553 posts, read 11,610,727 times
Some companies are labeling the product as better for us because we are getting smaller portions. Got to be better for us because we will eat less right? No one mentioned that fact to my growing kids that don't care if the portion size is say 3 ounces when they want lets say 5 ounces.

Another thing I have seen is the green movement has been taken over by many food companies. You should feel good about getting less because their is now less to throw away. LOL

Now you can safely enjoy that bowl of Rocky Road in the less than a half gallon container. Remember you are doing yourself a favor by eating from a smaller container and you have less to throw away when the container is empty. Enjoy, you are now doing your part. LOL

Unread 06-29-2011, 07:38 PM

26,365 posts, read 49,396,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The difference is that someone thinks that customers are dumb! That we will not notice the air filled containers, "redesigned" shrinking food packages, different serving sizes, and ever changing ways how to figure the price per unit.
And no - we are not paying the same per oz!
If, lets say 64 oz orange juice was $3 and now 59 oz the same juice cost $3, then the price per oz has been increased. No???
That's inflation. You made more this year than last year for doing the same amount of work. No???

You're paying the same per ounce in normalized (inflation adjusted) dollars. In fact, you may even be paying less as technology introduces efficiencies in production and distribution.

The free market theoretically drives those prices down to where the supply-demand curves meet. Big packaging, small packaging, blue packing green packaging - it doesn't make any difference. If it gets too expensive people won't buy it.

Unread 06-29-2011, 07:48 PM

32,837 posts, read 5,421,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
That's inflation. You made more this year than last year for doing the same amount of work. No???
Not all of us get a raise every year. Two years ago my co-workers and I took a 20% pay CUT just to help keep the company afloat. It worked, and after 9 months our full pay was restored, but I make less money now than I did 5 years ago. Inflation does hurt some of us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products