U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2009, 10:49 AM

157 posts, read 594,627 times

Advertisements

This may sound like a bit of an odd request, but a group of young business professionals (18-25) that I'm part of is doing a research study for a paper we're compiling. We're looking for copies of receipts from the following chain retailers - Lowes, Home Depot, Best Buy, and Walmart.

If anyone has recently purchased from any of these places, in the last 90 days and would be willing to email me a copy of their receipt, it would be of great help. If you post here or pm me, I can send you my email to forward them onto.

The only thing I ask is that before sending me any copies of receipts, that you scratch or block out any of your personal information that may be on them. Things like a name, phone number, address, numbers from a credit card. No one in our group wants to risk anyone's personal info being lost or stolen, and we only need the purchase information on the receipt like what state the purchase took place in, the date, items purchased and price of the item.

We're researching things like purchasing trends for these particular stores based on location, price differences for the same item in different areas, and mapping the dates they took place along with several other trends. Right now we're just focusing on approximately 90 day cycles and we'll be doing this again over the coming months. Part of our research also includes watching how prices and purchases change over time from now, while the economy is struggling, and seeing if/when we see numbers improve, and particularly what goods improve in sales and which ones stagnate.

If anyone is interested in helping us gather data and has receipts they'd be willing to scan and send over to us, that would be much appreciated. Again, please just make sure your personal information is blocked out (I'd rather not have that responsibility left on my shoulders to protect someone's identity). And if you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 06:50 PM

1 posts, read 4,484 times
I assume this is for legitimate purposes. However, it is a common practice for thieves to find receipts, steal the item, then present the item with the receipt at the returns desk for a cash refund or a store credit. You mention 90 day cycles. This is the exact amount of time a store will give you to return an item. The personal info is not needed. A copy is acceptable. Being a former returns cashier at one of the above mentioned stores, I advise you keep your receipt. If it should happen that something was returned on your receipt, it would no longer be valid for YOUR purchase.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products