U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 AM

3,646 posts, read 9,758,721 times

Advertisements

I used to LOVE Craigslist... anyone else?

In the last year or so though it's really changed. People are ridiculous... individual auctions for a twin size, stained sheet... $1?!

We just moved. At the last minute we found that not all our stuff was going to fit on the truck. So I figured okay, I'll just shop Craigslist to get us by for awhile.

Nope.

People are DELUSIONAL. A small folding table and chair set, that I can get from Walmart, brand new, for $55, they want $45. Really? And it just has one TINY little tear on the seat? What are people thinking?

While looking over some recent postings, I saw one person had listed used moving boxes for $1 each. This ad had been re-listed several times over the past two weeks, someone claiming to have just moved and had these boxes sitting around from that move. Thinking maybe some people just don't know, I emailed them letting them know it's unlikely they'll sell at that price as they're cheaper than that at a large chain hardware store. Nastygram came right back telling me to mind my own business and threatening to report me to craigslist for harassment.

I've been watching my local listings pretty closely for the past few weeks, looking for bargains, and I have found some. But the ads seem not only to get more ridiculous, but then you get the ones that say things like... "If you offer me less than I'm asking, the price will go UP."

Seriously folks. Post your hard luck story about the economy and why you HAVE to sell, ask prices that are about 10% under retail NEW (I could wait for a SALE for that price!) and then get snippy?

No wonder there are so many ads! They aren't the only ones though... maybe it's just this area. We went to the local Goodwill, thinking maybe we could find what we were looking for there... nope. Smelly and SERIOUSLY overpriced. I'd rather go to Walmart or Target and pay $1.35 for plastic storage boxes that MATCH than $1.25 at Goodwill for dirty ones that don't.

But someone must be foolish enough to be buying, or Goodwill at least wouldn't price items that way.

Okay, rant over.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2009, 10:23 AM

16,308 posts, read 25,267,295 times
When you deal with the anonymous public you are going to bump into a certain number of complete idiots.

Couple of months ago a guy was posting an item for sale several times a day under different headings, and everyday for about a week. I sent him a link for the same item, NEW at a much cheaper price. Don't know if he ever sold his.

Old 07-19-2009, 12:50 PM

914 posts, read 4,009,835 times
I think it also depends on where you are. We've bought and sold stuff on Craigslist in several states, and in some places I loved using Craigslist, and in some it was such a chore. I can't really find a difference to explain it, but that is the way it was.

But I do think people are stupid about used furniture prices everywhere. You see the same thing at garage sales, too. Furniture has a huge mark-up, and some people don't seem able to get past the price they paid for it. It always annoys me when people try to justify the price of their item by telling you what they paid for it new. Original price has nothing to do with what something is "worth" Just because you are a moron that overpaid on your furniture doesn't mean I am. Why would a buy your year old leather couch for $1500, when for $1500 I can buy myself my own new leather couch? We were able once to furnish an entire 2-bedroom apartment with stuff from Craigslist for less than $500. But the last time I needed furniture, Craigslist was just not happening. We ended up getting everything from Ikea.

The other thing that pushes my buttons is people who try to charge lots of money for old, ratty furniture because it is "antique". This was a huge issue in Vermont. Probably more than half of the Craigslist Burlington posts are people charging hundreds of dollars for old furniture. Just because something is old doesn't mean it is worth money. And basically no one offers any information that would actually "prove" it is an antique (name of the manufacturer, some distinguishing aspect of the furniture's design, etc). Nope. It is valuable because it is old. These are the people that get laughed off Antiques Roadshow.

Old 07-19-2009, 01:55 PM

Yeah, that's been our experience here... "but I paid..." So? I'm not going to pay $600 for those 4 chairs when I could get similar looking chairs from Target brand new for $200... and I think THAT'S overpriced!

We also ended up going the IKEA route and bought 4 chairs for $15 each just to get by. If I can't get a bargain, then we'll live with plastic chairs and shelves for the next year or so.

A couple hours ago, an ad went up for 3 "Antique" metal, rusted out patio chairs for $100 that "need a paint job".

Where is the rolling around on the ground laughing smilie when you need him?

Old 07-19-2009, 01:57 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,865,966 times
Once I saw a used dining room table and chair set on craigslist for $120... the exact same one you can buy brand new at Walmart for only $100. I emailed them and they send me back a nasty email (although I can't quite recall what it said..).

I love craigslist and have boughten & sold several items on there. However, I just tend to be really careful and stay away from ads that look fishy. And yes, many people are completely dellusional...

Old 07-19-2009, 02:07 PM

12,445 posts, read 22,107,090 times
Similar experiences. We were looking for a "new" kitchen table and found one on CL. $300 was what they wanted, we bought the same table for our dining room for that same price a few years ago. So anyways I email back and say I am interested but for around $200. Got an email right back and said no, $300. About 18 hours later they countered at $225.

I said I would wait till it doesn't sell and offer $200. They email back and say and I quote: "No, $225 will be fine. I am moving and this table doesn't fit into my new house so I have to sell it. Please let me know when you can pick it up".

Ummmm...OK. I didn't get back to them. Nice table and for $25 I could've bought it. But at that point the persons attitude really got in the way.

I think people take advantage of CL postings because you cannot readily check values for their goods. And some people will buy just because they think they are getting a good deal.

Old 07-19-2009, 06:53 PM

247 posts, read 1,178,957 times
I have read some hysterically funny rants about this problem on Craigslist "best of Craigslist" Here are some of the funniest ones: best of craigslist: People! Pics are helpful, and also, dude, this is used furniture... and best of craigslist: PSA for those selling 80s furniture That first rant had me practically falling out of my chair. My hubby always has a crude remark about people like that. "They think they sh** gold nuggets" Crude I know, but true.

Old 07-19-2009, 07:45 PM

914 posts, read 4,009,835 times
When my boyfriend and I were shopping for couches on Craigslist, we discovered the the Craigslist Couch Rule: the more positive adjectives in the title, the more hideous the couch. Accurate every time!

Old 07-19-2009, 10:17 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,865,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
I have read some hysterically funny rants about this problem on Craigslist "best of Craigslist" Here are some of the funniest ones: best of craigslist: People! Pics are helpful, and also, dude, this is used furniture... and best of craigslist: PSA for those selling 80s furniture That first rant had me practically falling out of my chair. My hubby always has a crude remark about people like that. "They think they sh** gold nuggets" Crude I know, but true.
lol!! I have never seen those! Lordy, now I am going to be browing through them for the next hour..

Old 07-20-2009, 07:31 AM

Okay, that killed 90 minutes.

Hilarious. This one gave me some ideas about my neighbor situation:

I had a nice hedge on my property line, but my neighbor said it was a ratty eyesore and killed it. I would like a bus? a train car? huge peice of rusted heavy equiptment?? This is not a joke If you have something huge and ugly you need to be rid of perhaps we can help eachother out! I would prefer something tall and ominous but will consider any old peice of ****. Wreckage from a airplane would also fit the bill. Also, if part of it squeekes in the wind or is highly reflective in the sun that would be a plus

Thanks for posting that link! LOVE IT!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products