U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 12:50 AM

7,139 posts, read 13,294,389 times

Advertisements

Anything "free and clear", whatever brand is cheapest. And put my laundry through a second rinse always.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 02:23 AM

25,107 posts, read 35,540,101 times
In addition to the Tide - we also add Oxyclean to every load - even the delicates.

For my white underwear - its Hot wash / Warm rinse (x 2), Oxyclean, Clorox Bleach and Tide.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:10 AM

5,940 posts, read 6,741,662 times
I just found out that there is a Tide manufacturing plant where I live...they sell 5 Gal buckets of Tide for $25. Plan to pick one up.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:19 AM

5,940 posts, read 6,741,662 times
I was intrigued by the homemade recipe also, I found this one on a blog, it's a powdered version:

I finally did it!
I have been wanting to make my own homemade laundry detergent for over a year, I just never got around to it. Why? I’m not exactly sure. I think part of it was because I thought it was going to be difficult, and I also figured it may be hard to find all the necessary ingredients easily. Wow…was I wrong!

I CANNOT STRESS ENOUGH HOW INCREDIBLY FAST & EASY IT WAS.
I began with the notion I would be creating a homemade liquid detergent like that of Trent Hamm. That was until I saw a simple video tutorial on crafting homemade powder detergent. After learning that homemade powder soap required only 3 simple ingredients & took around 5 minutes to create, in respect of opportunity cost I abandoned the idea of brewing a liquid detergent and set my sights on creating the powder variety.
What follows is my own personal pictorial tutorial to making homemade powder laundry detergent. Enjoy!

COST BREAKDOWN & SAVINGS
Prior to making our own, we were using Arm & Hammer liquid detergent. Here is the breakdown in cost analysis:

(**note** you only need to use 1 tablespoon of this homemade detergent per load, although you can use 1 – 2 scoops for heavily soiled loads)
  • Arm & Hammer® liquid 100 ounce detergent – $6.79 – 32 loads = $0.21 per load
  • Tide® with Bleach powder 267 ounce detergent – $20.32 – 95 loads = $0.21 per load
  • Jabs Homemade powder 32 ounce detergent – $2.98 – 64 loads = $0.05 per load
As you can see, whether I compare against traditional store bought liquid or powder, I am saving $0.16 per load!
There are also many other benefits of homemade products aside from cost savings.

3 SIMPLE INGREDIENTS

I purchased all these ingredients at my local grocery store:
  • 1 – 55 ounce box of Arm & Hammer® Super Washing Soda = $3.99
  • 1 – 76 ounce box of 20 Mule Team® Borax = $4.99
  • 1 – 10 pack of 4.5 ounce bars of Ivory® Bar Soap (**note** you can use cheaper soap, I actually had this on hand already. Use whatever tickles your fancy – Other brands of commonly used bar soaps include Pure & Natural® and/or Fels Naptha®.)
All items were found in the laundry isle.

A SIMPLE RECIPE

Each batch yields 16 ounces. I made two batches of this recipe and stored the 32 ounces of resulting product in a yogurt container left over from our healthy breakfast idea.
  • 1 bar of shaved bar soap
  • 1/2 cup of borax
  • 1/2 cup of washing soda
Thoroughly stir together for 5 minutes and enjoy the results! That’s it folks…seems too good to be true, but it is true indeed!

Regarding High Efficiency (HE) Front-Load Washers

You may have been told you need to use “special soap” for your HE front-load washing machine. Let me enlighten you as to why. HE front-load washers require “special soap” for one reason and one reason alone…low suds; because they use less water, they require soap that is less sudsy. The good news is, the homemade detergent in this recipe is VERY low suds. Just make sure you use the recommended amount of detergent.
The HE designation is just another advertising mechanism the industry is using to try & swindle consumers into buying “special soap” that they charge unnecessarily exorbitant prices for.

Homemade Laundry Detergent - Simple, Easy, Fast, & Effective | Debt Free Adventure!

Old 08-03-2009, 10:23 AM

638 posts, read 1,157,073 times
for me it's whatever is on sale!!

Old 08-09-2009, 11:01 PM

20,657 posts, read 19,613,404 times
Tide unscented or All Free & Clear. Can't stand anything with a smell. I remember using Shaklee, wonder if I can find it again somewhere.

Old 08-09-2009, 11:12 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,638,658 times
I use Arm and Hammer. YOu can get it pretty cheap on sale and it seems to work as good as anything else, but honestly I haven't tried a great variety of detergents.

It seems to me the most important part of doing laundry is looking for stains, and spraying them with Shout or Spray and Wash before you throw them into the washer, and checking that the stain got out before drying (if not soak in oxy clean for a couple days) If that doesn't work then I don't think Tide had a chance to start with.

Old 10-07-2009, 04:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,250 times
Smile Homemade Laundry Soap

This is so cheap! Pennies per load... you can cut your dryer sheets in half keeps your clothes really soft too.
Some people have variations of this where they use more of one product than another but here is ours...

Home-made Laundry Soap
Pail
storage Containers
1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap
1/3 cup Borax
1/3 cup washing soda (my mother lives on the West Coast and found all these at Fred Meyer in laundry soap aisle. I live on the East Coast and have been told Kroger has all of these. Try your local grocery stores)

Grate the soap and put the flakes in a large saucepan with 4 cups of water. Heat the mixture until the soap flakes are completely melted.
In a separate container, dissolve the Borax and soda in approximately 3/4 cup hot water
Put the bar soap mixture in the pail and add the Borax solution to it. Add enough hot water to make a generous 2 gallons
Stir thoroughly until the solution cools. Frequent stirring gives the soap a better consistency.
Use 1/2 cup per load
If washing a load in cold water, stir the detergent into a little hot water before adding it to the cold water
you can add essential oils to scent it, such as citrus or lavender
store in a covered container
shake before using

Each "batch" of 2 gallons makes enough for 64 loads of laundry.

Last edited by amd2300; 10-07-2009 at 04:28 PM.. Reason: Added information

Old 10-07-2009, 04:33 PM

2 posts, read 4,250 times
Default Using too much soap!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldhousegirl View Post
Glad to. This is my modified version of the Duggars recipe. Here goes:

The Yes, I Make My Own Soap - Laundry Soap Recipe

4 cups hot tap water
1 bar Fels-Naptha soap
1 cup Washing Soda, not baking soda, but by Arm & Hammer just the same
1/2 cup Borax, I buy the 20 Mule Team Borax
Big pail or bucket 5 gal. size

Though these items may sound strange, all can be found at your local grocery store. I got all of my ingredients at Kroger.

Step one: Shave, scrape, or cut up the soap in small pieces, you'll be melting it. Add to pot with the 4 cups of hot tap water. Stir over medium low heat until the soap dissolves.

I use an electric stove turned on 5-6. Initially stirring continuously, then every few minutes or so. This is the longest step, takes about 8 minutes or so to fully dissolve the soap shavings and even then you may still have a few solid pieces left, which is okay. If you do have a few solid pieces lurking, just strain them out. You want smooth, no solids at all. I used a regular colander to strain.

Step two: Fill your 5 gallon pail or bucket half full of hot tap water*, the hotter the better. Add the washing soda, the borax, and then your melted bar soap mixture. * I like to add just enough hot water at first to easily stir all of the ingredients without getting my hands to close to the water - then add the rest of the hot water to get to half full. Stir well until powders are dissolved. Fill to almost to the top with hot tap water.

You're almost done. Cover tightly and let sit overnight. When you awaken, you will have a beautiful gel like concoction. You've just made your soap concentrate!!

Stir and fill a used laundry container half full of the soap, and the rest of the way with tap water. Shake and use! Shake before each use. 5/8 a cup for typical loads. Enjoy!!!

Take a trip to Hawaaii, with all of the money you save.
You are using too much soap! You can be saving more money and still get clean clothes. Following is the recipe my mother gave me and she loves it.

Each 2 gallon batch cleans 64 loads. That's 1-2 cents per load depending on the cost of supplies.You can cut your dryer sheets in half because it keeps your clothes really soft too.

Home-made Laundry Soap
Pail
storage Containers
1/3 bar Fels Naptha soap
1/3 cup Borax
1/3 cup washing soda }found all these at Fred Meyer in laundry soap aisle
Grate the soap and put the flakes in a large saucepan with 4 cups of water. Heat the mixture until the soap flakes are completely melted.
In a separate container, dissolve the Borax and soda in approximately 3/4 cup hot water
Put the bar soap mixture in the pail and add the Borax solution to it. Add enough hot water to make a generous 2 gallons
Stir thoroughly until the solution cools. Frequent stirring gives the soap a better consistency.
Use 1/2 cup per load
If washing a load in cold water, stir the detergent into a little hot water before adding it to the cold water
you can add essential oils to scent it, such as citrus or lavender
store in a covered container
shake before using

Old 10-07-2009, 04:46 PM

10,664 posts, read 8,074,580 times
ALL (the hypoallergenic, clear one) is my favorite.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products