U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2009, 08:52 PM

2,063 posts, read 2,802,468 times
Default Brita 144 oz. dispenser - How to clean?

I have a Brita filtered water dispenser, the size that holds about 1.5 gallons of water. (The big rectangular one that sits on your counter or on a shelf in your fridge.) I've had it for a few months. Every time I change the filter, I give it a good cleaning with mild dishwashing detergent and vinegar.

Tonight when I was washing it, I noticed a small speck of mold growing on the interior bottom of the reservoir. Problem is, I can't get to it. The dispenser is two pieces: the large, clear reservoir and then the white insert that is wedged into the top part of the reservoir. The white insert holds the "unfiltered" tap water, and the water slowly drips from that top part, through the filter, and into the reservoir below. But with my dispenser, the top white part is so tightly wedged into the clear reservoir that I can't pull it out. Which means I can't get to that little speck of mold growing INSIDE the reservoir.

I poured a bunch of vinegar in and gave the whole thing a violent slosh, hoping it would jar the mold free, but no luck.

If you have/use one of these dispensers, have you found it to be possible to remove the white upper part? Maybe they simply don't come apart?

Failing the ability to remove the white insert, does anyone have suggestions on how to better clean the reservoir? Should I use bleach?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2009, 11:05 PM

5,552 posts, read 8,603,486 times
it's reasons like these why I hated that dispenser when I had it. I could never get it fully clean and mold started to appear after a while. I dumped it and got a couple of the pitchers instead

Old 10-24-2009, 10:03 PM

13 posts, read 46,791 times
Good news...I just spent a few minutes seeing if it was possible to open this dispenser and it IS! First I emptied the unit completely. Then I took a butter knife and stuck it into the tight gap between the clear and the white plastic of the unit, gently turning knife very carefully ever so slightly to create a little bit of seperation between the two pieces of plastic. Then I removed the butter knife, put my hands into the top of the resevoir, gripped the sides as best I could and pulled up, removing it with ease. I cleaned it fully and it's drying on the counter tonight. Once it's completely dry, I'll fill it up with filtered water once again.

Old 07-03-2011, 05:22 PM

1 posts, read 18,966 times
Thank you NatefromRI. Your method really works. Tough at first but once the suction was broken between sides it came right out. I used three butter knives all around.

Old 01-26-2012, 05:45 PM

2 posts, read 19,315 times
Default Removing the Brita dispenser insert

Just run some hot (not too hot) water around the outer plastic dispenser to cause the outer shell to expand and the inner shell should come out easily. If that doesn't work keep running warm water on the inside and let it drain around the edges (not all edges will let water flow freely).

I did both and it slid right out. Maybe the combination works best?

Old 05-05-2012, 11:18 AM

2 posts, read 34,873 times
Default britta water dispensers

fill container with warm soapy water and it pushes the white part right and out. then all you have to do is tug alittle bit. finish cleaniig the let it dry and put back together. We have had our for a couple of years

Old 05-05-2012, 11:19 AM

2 posts, read 34,873 times
Deecleaner;24171141] fill container with warm soapy water and it pushes the white part right and out. then all you have to do is tug alittle bit. finish cleaniig the let it dry and put back together. We have had our for a couple of years

Old 06-04-2012, 05:52 PM

1 posts, read 17,136 times
Default Britain dispenser

We were able,after reading the posts,to take our dispenser apart and clean it,it had mold on the bottom,thanks for the help and God bless.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:52 PM

1 posts, read 16,873 times
Put the whole container in a nice hot/warm bath & the lid comes right off after the whole dispenser fills up!

Old 09-19-2012, 09:27 PM

1 posts, read 16,032 times
Wink Cleaning Brita Dispenser

We struggled initially trying to separate the clear from the white parts of the Brita Dispenser until my husband decided to fill the dispenser with water and turn it upside down. The weight of the water just forced the white part out. Easy!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products