U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2009, 02:35 PM

1,194 posts, read 3,724,916 times

Advertisements

I too believe Ebay is a good way to buy, sell, exchange ro a tad of money or even search prices for the now or future...

It may not be worth the effort to go after the money but you may be assured that the feedback should have read "LIAR LIAR PANTS ON FIRE"......Just kidding but I just received a refund from PayPal for $12 + change for someone trying to do the same to me...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2009, 03:45 PM

11,257 posts, read 44,325,691 times
I've had good luck with most of my eBay purchases ... and then a couple of huge rip-off artists have messed things up.

I always print out the eBay listing on which I've bid, so I've got the record of what I bought. That would have helped you with the changed listing information on your item.

In my experience, PayPayl or eBay dispute resolution wasn't worth the time or energy to go through them. I've actually had a seller admit that he oversold his inventory of an item and that I was the one that didn't get shipped ... but he kept my money for 8 months until he finally decided to give me a refund. He claimed that he was waiting for the USPS to refund him for the "lost" shipment which was insured ... but that was after admitting that he didn't have the item to ship to me. Neither PayPal or eBay did anything for me, and my CC company was no help either ... as the shipper claimed to them that he'd shipped the item and was waiting for the insurance payment. The only thing that wasn't in dispute was that I hadn't received the item ... and yet that wasn't good enough to get a credit or refund.

Similarly, I've been burned by a dishonest car dealer. Bought several cars on eBay with good luck, and I'm a knowledgeable buyer with 40 years experience in the industry. But that cannot overcome the system when you have a lying dealer who writes a glowing report and gives excellent answers to your questions about the car, and then when it's delivered ... it turns out to be a total POS, with many mechanical systems not working at all. I pursued this seller in his state criminal system, and it turned out he'd burned so many people with rolled back odometers that it became a federal case ... for which the seller received big fines and jail time. Did I get my money back on the junk car he shipped or the other car which I'd paid for and did not receive? NO. again eBay and PayPal were of no help whatsoever.

So, my policy now is to not buy anything on eBay of bigger value without using an escrow service, or to not buy anything I can't afford to write off if it's not what it's supposed to be.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:54 PM

1 posts, read 703 times
I purchased a flat iron, plugged it in and it almost started a fire... Sent back at my own expense, and have never heard anything ever again. Never seen a dime back! When I went to file a complaint eBay told me I was to late. The deadline had already passed! Lol what a crock!

Old 07-12-2013, 01:01 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
my wife quite ebay because of problems and e-bay not responding , She said it just wasn't worth the bother.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:29 PM

35,885 posts, read 67,931,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
my wife quite ebay because of problems and e-bay not responding , She said it just wasn't worth the bother.
I was surprised to see this thread resurrected, lol. It's around 4 years old!

Since I wrote this post, I have had maybe 2 more bad experiences on eBay. But overall, folks have been wonderful.

I am still stewing over the latest rip off. I won't get into it except to say - delayed merchandise. So when 3 weeks had passed and nothing received, I wrote. The lady wrote me back 2 days later and gave me this story about family illness, having to leave out of town, would get the item in the mail to me the next day, etc. etc

By the time I get her reply, 30 days is up. That is where I screwed up. I should have filed b/f the 30 days ended. But I didn't.

You know where this is going, lol. I did get another note and promise . . . but in the end, not only am I out about $40, the woman is no longer on eBay. I know I could have contacted eBay and gotten into the whole situation but I was traveling at the time . . . so I ended up getting ripped off. Had I just put in the complaint prior to the 30 days . . . Live and learn.

So there ya go. It happens.

Old 07-12-2013, 04:03 PM

1,872 posts, read 2,994,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post

By the time I get her reply, 30 days is up. That is where I screwed up. I should have filed b/f the 30 days ended. But I didn't.
It's 45 days from the date of payment. If you are still within 45 days you can open a case with ebay's buyer protection policy.
eBay Buyer Protection

Might be too late, but I thought I'd throw that link out there in case you are still under the limit.

Old 07-12-2013, 09:43 PM

2,157 posts, read 2,747,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marilyn33 View Post
I purchased a flat iron, plugged it in and it almost started a fire... Sent back at my own expense, and have never heard anything ever again. Never seen a dime back! When I went to file a complaint eBay told me I was to late. The deadline had already passed! Lol what a crock!

If you use a credit card in your paypal account, you can call up your credit card and file a claim and most of the time, they will side with you. I use credit cards through Paypal and this is what I had to do several times when the items came to me completely damaged because the seller did a poor job boxing it.

Old 07-18-2013, 10:08 AM

24,337 posts, read 33,581,509 times
And this is why I haven't shopped on eBay in years.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:11 PM

8,167 posts, read 7,794,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDGeek View Post
And this is why I haven't shopped on eBay in years.
I agree, it's gotten really bad of late, I hardly ever purchase anything on the site anymore, my shopping now is limited to a few buyers I've dealt with for select items I go to restock items I run out of.

Best bet, these days, is to copy and save the listing in your document folder. I too have read listings thoroughly and after receiving found something to be way off the description. I go back to the listing find that it appeared to have a slight description change, but like someone said, it's supposed to say there's been a change to the listing. And then again, sometimes there's no change, just complete false description of the condition of the item and in such cases I received full refund. Sometimes it hasn't been worth the trouble. I remember one foreign company getting really ticked off when I called them out on something I guess they didn't think anyone would bother fussing over because of the price, but I was really disappointed after waiting for nearly six weeks and then to get something so nothing like what I was looking forward to receiving, I ended up filing a complaint on principle.

Old 07-19-2013, 09:27 PM

7,845 posts, read 4,268,909 times
If you let Paypal know right away (don't wait too long), Ebay/Paypal will take the money from her account and put it back into yours. I Know from experience, from once not receiving the item, and another time, the item was broken... it happened to me twice and yes they refund the money, but you can't wait too long.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products