Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 05:08 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,491,785 times

Advertisements

I have been buying on Ebay a long time. I have never felt I got ripped off but once . . . and two other times, I felt things were not described accurately (deep scratches on sterling silver that was described as excellent condition). So in the 400 or so transactions I have had over the years, I think that qualifies as a pretty darn good relationship w/ all the sellers I have purchased from - most sellers have been terrific to work with.

However, I just got ripped off and there really is nothing I can do about it - and we are only talking $6.95 . . . but I have some questions and thought you all could help me out.

Can a seller change info on the listing without it showing up somewhere on the listing that info has been changed?

Cause I swear this lady added a few words to her listing that were not there when I made my bid. I got the item today and it was not at all what I was expecting (not in good condition and not what was described).

Anyone have an answer? Nothing I can do but for my own satisfaction, I would just like to know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2009, 05:10 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,278,987 times
That happened to me and I had paid with Pay Pal so I wrote to them and got a refund. I also posted a negative review. The person did not even want his merchandise back; it was that crummy, I guess.

People may not recall what you said to them, but they will always remember how you made them feel .

Old 07-28-2009, 06:01 PM

4,792 posts, read 5,901,120 times
If they revise a listing, it should say so in the ad.

Old 07-28-2009, 06:09 PM

1,194 posts, read 4,126,903 times
EbAY add ons will be seen as seller added. ....It is a darn shame when any person says an item is good and the buyer discovered the item is in everything but reasonable shape....There is absoloutely no room for fibbers and liars....I to enjoy Ebay and currently someone is trying to take $12+ change from me....I filed with PayPal.....I really do not mess around with anyone who tries to rip off other people and it can happen to someone buying or selling the most uneventful item. My rip off was me buying a book.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergy1 View Post
EbAY add ons will be seen as seller added. ....It is a darn shame when any person says an item is good and the buyer discovered the item is in everything but reasonable shape....There is absoloutely no room for fibbers and liars....I to enjoy Ebay and currently someone is trying to take $12+ change from me....I filed with PayPal.....I really do not mess around with anyone who tries to rip off other people and it can happen to someone buying or selling the most uneventful item. My rip off was me buying a book.
Mine is a piece of Tupperware, lol!!! Yeah, I have bought Waterford crystal - spent some big bucks - and that is when I could really have gotten ripped off! But if anything, my expectations have more often been exceeded than gone unmet.

I think most sellers on Ebay are doing their best to be professional and keep a good reputation. But man it burns me when one flat out LIES.

Old 07-28-2009, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
That happened to me and I had paid with Pay Pal so I wrote to them and got a refund. I also posted a negative review. The person did not even want his merchandise back; it was that crummy, I guess.
Well, the thing is . . . the auction went for opening bid of $.99. Shipping was $5.95. Now, for a cold cut keeper, that was a good deal and I was fine with it.

But what I got today in the mail was this tiny little sandwich keeper, which is not even what is pictured! The picture is of a cold cut keeper and the description plainly says - LARGE tupperware container.

The tiny little sandwich keeper was stuck in an envelope, the envelope was folded and mailed. It did not weight but 6 oz. And I got charged $5.95 for that. Dang.

The lid is so discolored and dirty (crud in the edges) it looks like it has been buried. And Tupperware can yellow, but this is BROWN. Nasty!!! The lid does not even fit well. And I would not have paid 5 cents for this, must less $5.95 to ship it to me!!! Burn marks on the outside of the container.

I have absolutely no use for this. I wrote the seller and said - "shame on you!!!!" She wrote me back and said "why don't you try reading. GOD, YOU PEOPLE!"

Yep, that is what she wrote.

So I went back to the listing, and there in the body of the listing, she has in very small letters 6x4

Now, I look at descriptions carefully, so I can't believe I missed that. But in any case, the photo is not for this item - it is for a deli keeper . . . and charging me $5.95 for shipping . . . no fool is gonna bid on a tiny little sandwich keeper knowing they will pay $5.95 shipping!!!!

Anyway, I wrote her back and told her I hoped she felt really good about herself - misrepresenting her shoddy merchandise so she could make $5. Just plain shameful.

Old 07-29-2009, 01:51 PM

247 posts, read 1,290,219 times
File a SNAD with eBay (significantly not as described) well they call it something else now. But here is the info: If you can't work things out directly with the seller, you can open a case at eBay's Resolution Center. If you paid with PayPal, you can open a case at the PayPal Resolution Center. I sell tons of things on eBay but I buy a lot too. I've had to open a case before when a seller wouldn't work with me. I once bought a bedspread that clearly showed it was white and black, when I received it, it was blue and black. And the seller accused me of being color blind...hello!!! I think I know my colors. Anyway, I won the case and shipped it back to him and got my money back. It was a huge headache but you will win.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by graywolf73 View Post
File a SNAD with eBay (significantly not as described) well they call it something else now. But here is the info: If you can't work things out directly with the seller, you can open a case at eBay's Resolution Center. If you paid with PayPal, you can open a case at the PayPal Resolution Center. I sell tons of things on eBay but I buy a lot too. I've had to open a case before when a seller wouldn't work with me. I once bought a bedspread that clearly showed it was white and black, when I received it, it was blue and black. And the seller accused me of being color blind...hello!!! I think I know my colors. Anyway, I won the case and shipped it back to him and got my money back. It was a huge headache but you will win.
Thanks, Graywolf! Yeah, I think I could win, but the thing is . . . getting a $.99 refund when I already paid $5.95 for shipping and then more on top of that to ship it back . . . not worth the effort.

And what gets me is . . . I think the gal knew that and that was her whole reason for misrepresenting the product.

I am a good Ebayer and leave good feedback and am a return customer to many of the sellers. Just a shame that some folks want to ruin the process by cheating.

It doesn't happen often, tho, thank goodness!!!!

I

Last edited by brokensky; 07-29-2009 at 07:31 PM..

Old 07-30-2009, 06:38 PM

914 posts, read 4,444,930 times
Yes, definitely open a case with eBay, it seems sellers respond pretty quickly when you do that!

The last time ordered something, it was from an eBay store, and I got a shipment confirmation email . . . but no item. So I emailed them directly, I tried to contact them through eBay, nothing. Finally, after about two months of no item and ignored contact I filed a claim with eBay. The next day my money had been refunded with a note stating they do not carry that item any more. Actually, it turns out the shipment confirmation email they send is just sent automatically two days after an order: they never actually shipped anything! They would have just kept my money and continued to ignore me had I not contacted eBay.

eBay is pretty fair about things, too. I've also been on the other end of this . . . and also won the case. In this instance we shipped a video game to someone. Six months later we got an email from them asking for their money back because the item was never received. The problem was that the buyer purchased the item- and promptly moved to a new address. Instead of letter us know this, she just assumed the package would be forwarded to her. She stated another thing she ordered was forwarded, but ours never got there, so obviously we never sent it! Now if they item just never got to the address we sent it to, that would be one thing, but I will not be held responsible for packages being forwarded to the correct address! We told her that and she complained to eBay. eBay asked us what happened, and we gave them our side of the story. eBay ended up siding with us, agreeing that we should not be liable for delivery to an address different than the one the buyer provided us. So it is nice to know as a seller that buyers can't just complain about nothing and bilk you out of payment. Their system seems to work pretty well.

Old 08-02-2009, 01:12 PM

518 posts, read 2,531,876 times
if you file a case on paypal, you'll get back the 99 cents plus what you paid for shipping. You will probably have to pay to ship it back to seller though

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Thanks, Graywolf! Yeah, I think I could win, but the thing is . . . getting a $.99 refund when I already paid $5.95 for shipping and then more on top of that to ship it back . . . not worth the effort.

And what gets me is . . . I think the gal knew that and that was her whole reason for misrepresenting the product.

I am a good Ebayer and leave good feedback and am a return customer to many of the sellers. Just a shame that some folks want to ruin the process by cheating.

It doesn't happen often, tho, thank goodness!!!!

I
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products