U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2009, 05:33 PM

8,998 posts, read 13,246,366 times

Advertisements

A lot of movie places have signs saying, "No outside food or drink."

I highly doubt it's illegal to bring in outside food.

I have brought in food before but here lately (despite the recession) I have been buying more food from the concession stand.

Seeing as I used to work a movie theater, I like to support the movie theater because I know that's how they make their money.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2009, 08:54 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,455,360 times
Alamo Drafthouse :: Westlakes

take care of all your dinning, drinking and Theatrical needs in one place. for the Price of a dinner and a movie have a dinner with your movie and add in local microbrewery options as well.

Locally we don't have extremely high cost for movies unless you don't go to matinee pricing but even matinee is just the earlier showings before 4 or 5 o'clock. I think last movie I saw HP: 1/2blood prince was $5.50 a ticket plus we got a large free refillable popcorn was about 4 buck a medium drink was about 2.75 (which I think is also self refillable) and this was one of our larger chain theater. they also have a small bar and dinner that has Pizza and few other lovely edibles kids like for a fun date night meal. You can even get cheesecake.

Sure some items are expensive but so are general meals. I can feed my parents, my sister and her family of 4 plus myself for the cost of one ( maybe two) meals at some restuarants. And still serve the same food. It is why I hardly ever order steak out I can fix it better and cheaper at home. It all depends on what a person is willing to pay for and what they think is a worthy price.

I enjoy movies at the theater, don't mind paying extra for Popcorn. Sure I can pop my own (4 bags) for what one Large popcorn tub cost. And I can get 2 or 3 20oz sodas for thier one. I don't want lug around that stuff and try to sneak it into the theater. Plus I was taught to be respectful to businesses and what they have to do to provide me a service. I don't have to buy popcorn or a drink, I do because in enhances my experence.

Would I like to see the prices go back to where they were when I was younger... you betcha! but that won't happen. Have you seen the entire list they put on the screen of all those folks who worked on the film. Do you know how much just that list costs? To even get your name on that list you have to negociate a deal when you are hired. So when I buy popcorn I am helping to pay for thier paycheck, the paycheck for the guy who cleans the theater and all those others who names are on and not that list. I want to keep them working... so I help pay. I want to keep working so I hope people keep using the services my work provides customers... is it more expensive... ya... but it is well worth it to buy a soda and popcorn to know people are working. then I put my trash away ( sorry about the popcorn on the floors ). It isn't hard...just takes a willingness to understand and not worry about the bills and coins.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:08 PM
f_m

2,289 posts, read 7,587,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by USNRET04 View Post
How many more people would buy food if the prices were cut in half? I'm sure many more. I sometimes bring in candy for the kids. I would for sure buy a popcorn and drinks if the prices were half of what they are now.
Someone running a business would probably look at it this way, if you sell for half the price, you would have to sell over twice as many to make the same amount of money. However, you would also have 2x the mess to clean up.

Aside from that, compared to a restaurant, a theater pays about $30-50k+ for sound system and around $100-150k+ for a digital projection system for 1 screen. That's a lot more than a restaurant will have to pay for equipment, and the A/C is going to be more in a theater.

However, theaters also have those club points to get free tickets and food if you go regularly. Regardless, I usually rent $1 Blu-rays for as good an experience at home.

Old 08-03-2009, 10:39 PM

6,022 posts, read 13,686,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerowyn View Post
Alamo Drafthouse :: Westlakes

take care of all your dinning, drinking and Theatrical needs in one place. for the Price of a dinner and a movie have a dinner with your movie and add in local microbrewery options as well.
ahh, that's what I'm talking about! see, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a $10 salad there if I could sip some wine or beer and catch a movie all at the same time. I would love to see more upscale theaters like this. theaters like these and IMAX offer things regular theaters just can't or don't. I'll also pay to go to an IMAX film and won't go out of my way to bring in food b/c the experience for me has been better than at regular theaters.

someone touched upon this, but I'll reiterate and say that 95% of my issues w/ movie theaters are not even the fault of the actual theater (well, except for the food and the times when movies don't start as advertised), it's the cretins that can't seem to behave themselves when out in public. I'm sure there was a time when people didn't act like disgusting morons when they went out to the movies, but those times are gone. for me, it's not the price of admission or food that kills the movie going experience for me (b/c I will pay money to go to a decent theater), it's the actual experience, the sitting in a theater w/ inconsiderate fools who trash the place and keep others from enjoying the film. these people need to be tasered, kicked out w/o refunds, and barred entry in the future (okay, maybe a little bit extreme, but it would make me happy )

Old 08-04-2009, 06:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
ahh, that's what I'm talking about! see, I wouldn't hesitate to buy a $10 salad there if I could sip some wine or beer and catch a movie all at the same time. I would love to see more upscale theaters like this. theaters like these and IMAX offer things regular theaters just can't or don't. I'll also pay to go to an IMAX film and won't go out of my way to bring in food b/c the experience for me has been better than at regular theaters.

Alamo Drafthouse, upscale? humm would depend on your definination of upscale. My local AD is in a theater that was built around 1980's, with the old straightback chairs, cement floors and no frills other then (every other ) one row of seats taken out to allow a long wood plank of a bar to set down drinks and food. Lets face it they serve food, drinks & beer and must prepair for the norm, spills.

I do prefer the larger slightly reclining seats of the newer theaters. Many of them are offering food and beer. Not all allow beer into the actual theater but they will have a little food court style bar or place to eat... still I normally get my drink and popcorn.

someone touched upon this, but I'll reiterate and say that 95% of my issues w/ movie theaters are not even the fault of the actual theater (well, except for the food and the times when movies don't start as advertised),

Normally that is the fault of the newspapers or who ever is in charge of the website. Had that problem with AD during the winter when school is in session they change thier show times to delete their early shows (not enough people to show if any when school is open). the newspaper didn't run thier -new- ad. found out the same thing with other theaters too.

it's the cretins that can't seem to behave themselves when out in public. I'm sure there was a time when people didn't act like disgusting morons when they went out to the movies, but those times are gone. for me, it's not the price of admission or food that kills the movie going experience for me (b/c I will pay money to go to a decent theater), it's the actual experience, the sitting in a theater w/ inconsiderate fools who trash the place and keep others from enjoying the film. these people need to be tasered, kicked out w/o refunds, and barred entry in the future (okay, maybe a little bit extreme, but it would make me happy )
Oh I agree, hate inconsiderate people at movies of any type

You just have to try and plan ahead. I don't see overly popular movies in the first weeks. HP was one I waited about two weeks then I picked the first showing. I also made sure a newer kids movie is out ( in HP case it was G force ) so that way any summer school class or large groups of kids would most likely go see that movie instead of the one I am seeing. Also try to go on the slow movie days, Monday/Tuesdays . Just ask your theater manager what are the slow days for first showing. We have even had theaters offer specials for Seniors on those days, or AD I think still has thier offer for tuesdays -- bring in your baby for 1/2 off or something.

I hate brats at theaters as well. but not all brats are unruly kids, saw one movie where it was the adult who was a pain i the neck literally. She kept getting up and walking back and forth. Mind you she had an easy seating exit to the side closer to her. She just didn't like that we ( mom and I ) got there first and I guess got "her" seats. So she kept hits the back of our chairs as she stumble past behind us. I figured it this way... she was not enjoying the movie, didn't see it, and was more focused on other things. she just waisted any money she or someone paid out. Even though I didn't like my chair being hit off and on during the movie, I still got to watch the movie, enjoy the movie and afterwards I got to walk past her and say... "see much of that movie, I did it was great, sorry you missed it. I guess being spitful isn't all its cracked up to be" and then walked out of the building with a bucket of fresh popcorn smiling from ear to ear.

as i see it some people trash the theater because 1- they are lazy slobs, 2 - they think they are providing a job for someone to clean the theater, 3 - they don't think they have to clean up behind themselves. 4 - its easier to leave the mess then it is to teach the kiddos to pick it up. My mom who used to be a good clean theater go'er is 82 and now she forgets to pick up her napkins or can't bend over to pick them up. I normally do all that for her now. So there is that as well. Normally the only thing we leave is a bit of oops! popcorn on the floor. My sister wouldn't be able to pick anything up off the floor either (back surgeries).

I like going to the movie during the fall winter and spring when schools are in session. Less kiddos, sometimes you get the whole theater to yourself and I always wonder if there is no one there for the movie do the still run the movie?

Old 08-04-2009, 10:21 AM

18,508 posts, read 55,427,357 times
"I always wonder if there is no one there for the movie do the still run the movie?"

In general, yes. The films are now a continuous roll on platters, so they have to be started in the off chance that someone will show up. Not starting it would result in the end of the film running overtime into the next showing or would keep a couple of the staff at the theatre late. Sometimes the lamp will be doused to save hours on it.

It didn't used to be that way. Films were on twenty minute, forty minute, or fifty minute reels. If no one showed up by the end of the first reel, the next one wouldn't be started.

You are absolutely correct about choosing showtimes. Often the second matinee, or second evening shows on Sunday thru Wednesday are good choices.

Old 08-04-2009, 11:07 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,797,593 times
PS (delayed), BRING BACK THE CARTOONS AT TEH BEGINNING!!!!

And no, I do not mean "kiddie" tunes, but somethnig that would give pride to the original WB toons that were the stars of the pre-screen.

All the toons that have been stuck on the beginning of fliks now are cheezy slapstick trash... (But they are admittedly better than the commercials!)

Old 08-04-2009, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
PS (delayed), BRING BACK THE CARTOONS AT TEH BEGINNING!!!!

And no, I do not mean "kiddie" tunes, but somethnig that would give pride to the original WB toons that were the stars of the pre-screen.

All the toons that have been stuck on the beginning of fliks now are cheezy slapstick trash... (But they are admittedly better than the commercials!)
that is why I like to go to our Alamo Drafthouse theater they love digging up old ( REALLY) old videos and cartoons anything that compliments the scheduled movie. For Harry Potter they have shown the Potter Puppet Pals videos or show clips from Fan cons. really fun stuff.

Old 08-04-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
"I always wonder if there is no one there for the movie do the still run the movie?"

In general, yes. The films are now a continuous roll on platters, so they have to be started in the off chance that someone will show up. Not starting it would result in the end of the film running overtime into the next showing or would keep a couple of the staff at the theatre late. Sometimes the lamp will be doused to save hours on it.

It didn't used to be that way. Films were on twenty minute, forty minute, or fifty minute reels. If no one showed up by the end of the first reel, the next one wouldn't be started.

You are absolutely correct about choosing showtimes. Often the second matinee, or second evening shows on Sunday thru Wednesday are good choices.
That is what I was thinking but never confirmed although I have known some movies to start a little later then normal on the first showing especially when it is just mom and I in the theater up till show time... late comers tend to start the movie. Always thought that was odd but I thought the theater must have some control over the time.. kind of like a airplane that leave gate late but still manages to arrive at distination ontime or early.

Old 08-04-2009, 04:05 PM

18,508 posts, read 55,427,357 times
Late first show startups are more often because the person in charge of projection has to thread all the machines within a short timeframe, as well as do other opening tasks. There is no speed control on projectors. All that can be done with a late start is hope the intershow interval is long enough to absorb some of the run-over.

When you get right down to it, sometimes showstarts are forgotten in multiplexes until someone in concession notifies the booth that "Hey, a customer is complaining the show hasn't started." Not very professional but it does happen, especially if the projectionist is trying to clear a brainwrap (pileup of film due to it slinging off a platter or a defective "brain" that regulates the payout of film from the platter.) Digital takes care of many of the problems.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products