U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2009, 04:51 PM

9,054 posts, read 16,677,682 times

Advertisements

i've gone here a few times in scottsdale

Dinner Movie Theater Scottsdale, Arizona, Restaurant Phoenix: Farrelli's

pretty neat setup that they have with dinner, drinks and the movie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2009, 08:13 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,179,763 times
It isn't illegal in the sense that you'll get cited for it (unless you cause a disturbance that merits a call to the cops). It is simply business policy, which they are entitled to.

I often take in my own candy. Easier to conceal. HOWEVER ~

What most people don't realize is that the concessions are where movie theaters really make their money. Their cut from the feature movies are so low you wouldn't believe it. So, based on that alone, I usually try to show some support by buying a medium soft-drink to go with my candies.

Old 08-05-2009, 11:28 PM

15,989 posts, read 31,066,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesbabe View Post
It isn't illegal in the sense that you'll get cited for it (unless you cause a disturbance that merits a call to the cops). It is simply business policy, which they are entitled to.

I often take in my own candy. Easier to conceal. HOWEVER ~

What most people don't realize is that the concessions are where movie theaters really make their money. Their cut from the feature movies are so low you wouldn't believe it. So, based on that alone, I usually try to show some support by buying a medium soft-drink to go with my candies.
Are you sure it's not the ticket booth where I have to pay $9.50?

It's sad when you've spent at least about 25-30 dollars by the time you leave the movie. *This is if you don't bring a date or kids!*

Old 08-05-2009, 11:52 PM

10,234 posts, read 14,179,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Are you sure it's not the ticket booth where I have to pay $9.50?

It's sad when you've spent at least about 25-30 dollars by the time you leave the movie. *This is if you don't bring a date or kids!*
And what did I say??? I'll repeat: "Concessions are where movie theaters really make their money. Their cut from the feature movies are so low you wouldn't believe it." Read this for a weird but interesting article: http://www.physorg.com/news122917253.html

If everyone avoided the concessions altogether then a lot more theaters would close. Plain and simple. Small, old theaters often do, even when they run new movies, and at a cheaper ticket price, because movie patrons still fall sucker to the BIG cinema.

I don't like the costs of the goodies, either, but I shall repeat what I wrote before: I smuggle in my own candy but buy a drink there. A drink ~ one for the two of us to share. And if you're paying $9.50 for a single ticket, then why? Earlier matinees are a lot cheaper.

Last edited by Bluesmama; 08-06-2009 at 12:38 AM..

Old 08-06-2009, 01:37 AM

3,080 posts, read 10,041,060 times
I once snuck an entire LARGE pizza into a movie theater. I mean, c'mon, the staff are usually 16 year-old kids who could care less what you do so long as they can go back to texting their friends. Just go in when the manager isn't present and try to stay out of the security camera view and you'll be fine.

AMC theaters, in my experience, allow food in openly. I've walked into screenings, got a seat, then gone back out for 2 takeout burgers and fries plus drinks from Fudruckers while my spouse holds down our seats. That's why I ALWAYS go to AMC when given a choice. Theater owners take note: you'll get more patrons if you openly allow outside food.

If you aren't sure, just carry a backpack and stick your food in there. They rarely check bags except in super-fancy places, and worst comes to worst you have to sit outside and wolf it down and you miss a few previews. Or catch a later show.

Old 08-06-2009, 02:07 AM

10,457 posts, read 10,226,237 times
A friend of mine once brought into a movie theater a can of gefilte fish and a box of matzah. He was asked by staff to leave, so he then filed hate crime charges against the theater and the theater manager got arrested for anti-Semitism.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:22 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,798,847 times
For stinky fish?

That guy should have been counter sued for disruption or false filed claims/defamity. (I am sure there is SOMETHING in there on that).

The whole thing is, if we expect to be allowed to bring in this stuff, we should also be courteous enough to CLEAN UP AFTER OURSELVES WHEN WE LEAVE!!!!! We also need to see that others do the same.

The less effort/work it takes to keep a theater up, running, and clean, the less money is needed to do the same.

As for the cut on movies? I have never blamed the individual theater owners. It is hard to blame them when all you see on the outside is "AMC" or "Sony". I have always blame the industry itself and the MPAA.

To live in a society where more money is made on a piece of entertainment, or a sporting event than BUILDING the arena they are housed in, or running a company that distributes food to our consumer grocery outlets is just sad. Entertainment is always important, but when we pay more for that than for life itself......

Old 08-06-2009, 03:56 PM

8,648 posts, read 15,475,972 times
Ah for the good old days...

$.50 =

2 movies

2 cartoons

a serial that ran from one Sat to the next

1 bag of popcorn

1 soft drink

1 candy bar

and a nickel left over...or a second candy bar

Old 08-07-2009, 03:05 AM

10,457 posts, read 10,226,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Houston3 View Post
Ah for the good old days...

$.50 =

2 movies

2 cartoons

a serial that ran from one Sat to the next

1 bag of popcorn

1 soft drink

1 candy bar

and a nickel left over...or a second candy bar
But I bet the films were in black & white and no stereo sound, or no sound at all except for the theater piano playing while you had to read those dialogue frames.

Old 08-07-2009, 08:47 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,798,847 times
And no lamp either, they had to use a candle behind the flimstrip and crank it by hand!!!! (Carful not to ignite it!!!!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products