U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-08-2009, 03:36 AM

24 posts, read 89,179 times

Advertisements

I am moving to a new state and I am not forsure if this move is temporary or not. So I am thinking of buying items off of the website.
Do anybody have any experience with buying stuff of of there? My biggest concern is that I'll buy something and it will be infested with roaches or bed bugs. I'll also would like to know if craiglist is full of scammers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2009, 07:06 AM

247 posts, read 1,179,007 times
I've had great experiences buying and selling off Craigslist for years. The scammers tend to be buyers, not sellers. They want to give you a cashier's check or personal check that always will bounce. I wouldn't buy a used mattress period, so bed bugs were never a concern.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:24 PM

15,240 posts, read 20,192,741 times
I dont think bed bugs are limited to beds. From what I've read, they can hitch a temporary ride in other furniture pieces, rugs, clothing and even suitcases.

Old 08-09-2009, 08:49 PM

289 posts, read 432,151 times
I bought a used monitor and a wheelchair and was very happy.

Yes, scammers usually contact the sellers.

I would set up temporary email account so no spammers can get your addy.

And I moved and used an air mattress. The mattress was comfy I have used it as my regular bed for years. It is the ozark brand from walmart...if you get one get the elevated queen size. I highly recommend it.

Old 08-09-2009, 10:45 PM

24 posts, read 89,179 times
Thank for answering everyone and Yes, Bed Bugs can reside in upholstery furniture and clothes. Do anybody have anymore advice or experience from craiglist?

Old 08-09-2009, 11:11 PM

349 posts, read 795,727 times
i bought a $1000 entertainment center for $100 from someone on craigslist. all i had to do was use some wood glue to put a piece of trim back on the front : ) good as new!

Old 08-10-2009, 06:36 PM

458 posts, read 1,510,318 times
We've gotten bookshelves, our kitchen table, and a set of bunk beds off of craigslist and been quite pleased. When you go to look at it, if it is creepy looking or housed in a creepy place, don't buy it.

I've liked my craigslist experiences.

Last edited by sheriwx; 08-10-2009 at 06:36 PM.. Reason: Edited to add: We also found our current apartment on craigslist. Got a spanking deal.

Old 08-11-2009, 10:59 AM

19,121 posts, read 27,061,418 times
We found our currently rental on craigslist (after looking at MANY that were...well... they should have been condemned) and a few pieces of furniture. We did get our mattress set off of craigslist off of a very elderly woman who wasn't strong enough to make the bed anymore (it's a Cal King). She even had the original receipt and there wasn't even a thread undone from it

Be careful about your email and contact... I never give out my real name and use a separate email for all online dealings. Maybe I'm a bit paranoid, but better safe than sorry.

Old 08-12-2009, 12:44 PM

1,384 posts, read 3,866,173 times
I have bought and sold several things from there. You just need to be careful. If the add looks fishy at all or they have really bad grammar I usually don't look into it. A few times I have met people in public places, but I have also gone to peoples houses (and they have come to mine). I ALWAYS have someone else with me though, I never do it alone.

Here are my purchases off the top of my head:

Boughten: A desk, bed, chest, cat condos.

Sold: Xbox, fish (free), dog fence, moving boxes (free), bookshelf.

Just be extra cautious is my advice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products