U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2009, 02:08 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times

Advertisements

Actually, the store I knew and loved has been gone for a while now, replaced by your standard cell phone/computer store staffed by clueless individuals. Now it'll be called The Shack, a standard cell phone/computer store staffed by clueless individuals.

Radio Shack was my favorite store as a kid, I was into electronics, gadgets, scanners and the like. I would spend ages browsing all the electronic goodies, talking to the employees about police scanners and (I'm going to date myself) CB Radios. I'd be there at least once a week purchasing (dating myself again) crystals for my police scanners, checking out the latest antennas and radios, buying resistors, LED's, potentiometers, and other electronic components. Go in there today and all they pitch are cell phones, no one has a clue about the radios they sell, and they have no idea what a resistor or a capacitor is.

So long RS, you'll be missed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2009, 02:21 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,495,154 times
They've been little more than a toy store for the better part of two decades. I also spent time in there as a kid, buying components for various projects. They've been on a downhill slide since I was in my late teens. There aren't a lot of real electronics stores around anymore, due mainly to the nature of how technology has become more disposable over the years.

Here in LV, there's Kiesub Electronics and Fry's, but not much else. If you're in a smaller city or town, forget about it - you're forced to order from Jameco, Mouser or the like to get your parts.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:11 PM

9,198 posts, read 22,168,130 times
I can't tell if they're actually changing the name to "The Shack" or just using that as an advertising slogan/brand.

Old 08-13-2009, 04:37 PM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
All the indications I've seen, articles and recent comercials, seem to indicate they're changing the name, personlly with the turn for the worse they've taken, I think they should change it, it isn't what it used to be, might as well change the name and make the transition to crap retail store complete!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:11 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,216,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Go in there today and all they pitch are cell phones, no one has a clue about the radios they sell, and they have no idea what a resistor or a capacitor is.
RS (TS now?) deserves some criticism for what they've become, but I think they also deserve some credit for staying in the "radio" business as long as they have, even if cellphones now take up most of the store.

I recently bought a shortwave radio from them, and while doing so, I realized that they're pretty much the only brick-and-mortar store you can still buy one from. They also had a decent selection of weather radios and just plain AM/FM radios. Try looking for those things in Best Buy or Walmart.

(Circuit City used to have an OK selection too, but we all know what happened to them.)

Old 08-14-2009, 01:55 AM

10,431 posts, read 10,214,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
There aren't a lot of real electronics stores around anymore, due mainly to the nature of how technology has become more disposable over the years.
It's also a matter of the median IQ of the populace not being quite as high. Rather than people being fascinated by how things work, they simply want them to work on demand, nevermind the details -- those are for, like, other people and stuff.

Old 08-14-2009, 05:57 PM

588 posts, read 2,586,274 times
I actually worked at Radio Shack for a short time during college back in 1990. That was back when they still sold stereo receivers, tape decks, big speakers, etc. And remember the Tandy computers? I actually had to take a class on DOS (woohoo!!) before I was allowed to sell their computers. Even back then, the vast majority of the sales (unit-wise) were cables, adapters, batteries and, at Christmas, RC toys. I only occasionally sold a big ticket item. I enjoyed selling the electronic components most; since I was a EE major and had been messing with circuits for years, I actually knew what I was talking about.

Remember the Battery-a-Month club? One free red battery of your choice each month. I think I had about a dozen of those cards....

Old 08-14-2009, 10:00 PM

218 posts, read 697,624 times
just noticed on thursday that the Radio shack in our mall was closed when I was looking into a radio, satellite radio. They would have been out of place anyways because as recently as last summer, there were still the guys in there who knew their electronics. I got my wireless internet adapter there and they knew the difference between the diff ones and guided me.
But there was this other electronics store I found which was much more suited for the times. I went in to find the radio I saw in the window and the big lady sitting on her butt behind the counter did not even pause in her very loud cell phone conversation from the time I enterred till leaving. I left of course as I knew I wouldn't get any decent advice on radios in there! Best to come home & google stuff!!

Old 08-15-2009, 02:36 AM

10,431 posts, read 10,214,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juggler View Post
Remember the Battery-a-Month club? One free red battery of your choice each month. I think I had about a dozen of those cards....
I was a member.

Old 08-16-2009, 03:01 PM

1,293 posts, read 4,381,598 times
Well hopefully they are just testing the new name to see how well it performs before they make an official change. I remember Len Roberts received alot of flak for dropping the Tandy name, but it happened.

To me, these are still very much like an Autozone or a Napa, your going to find some stores where the clerks couldn't tell you how to change a set of brakes, and there are others where you have a mechanic trying to make a few extra bucks. Find a store you like and shop at that one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products