U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2009, 10:15 PM

134 posts, read 378,067 times

Advertisements

For toiletries,I go more often to Family Dollar or Dollar General(I think they have the best prices). I don't think you can solely blame Wal-mart for the problems of the mom and pop stores. Unfortunately the rise of chain stores in general helped cause this,and while I do feel badly for the small store owner,it is not affordable for many people(myself included) to only buy from them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2009, 01:40 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,900 times
The Mom and Pop stores are still there.
They call them Botiques now.
They sell the same stuff that Walmart sells.
But they only have a fraction as much to choose from, and they charge ten times the price.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:38 AM

51 posts, read 73,979 times
I must live in some kind of alternate universe. My Walmart is clean, organized, and the people who work there are happy, friendly, and kind. While I have certainly seen small children running unsupervised through the store from time to time, I have also seen that at Safeway, Target, and almost always at Toys R Us. I do really dislike Walmart's newer policy of scanning the items you are returning at the front door. I always have to wait for the scanning person to finish something else, and the whole process is just annoying. Otherwise, I can't recall a horribly unpleasant experience while shopping there.

I shop at Walmart because Crest toothpaste, Cascade, Tide, Diet Coke, Special K, and all of the other name brand items I buy on a regular basis are cheaper, often by far, than they are at the local supermarkets. I do watch for sales at other stores, and stock up when a particularly good price arises, but it doesn't always work that way. I probably save a few hundred dollars by shopping at Walmart, and that money is used and needed elsewhere.

I don't usually buy meat or produce there however. The quality is so much better at Costco.

Of course, my local Walmart is only a few miles away. I would not drive out of my way to shop there or any other store.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:14 PM

1 posts, read 745 times
My misunderstanding of why people shop at Wal-Mart is yes there prices are cheep but as the saying goes you get what you pay for. For instance I bought some dish rags there that started to fall appart a little after a month. However, I bought dish rags a dollar more at target and they are still working today, a year later. Then the e service at Wal-Mart is terrible. It always looks messy and in disarray, I can hardly ever find a staff member help me find something. It seems the stockers don't even notice us because there probably so stressed and who knows what else they have to deal with. Not to mention how long the lines are, the poor customers with melting ice cream and screeming babies. Then usually the cashier doesn't want to talk to you so you just stand there awkwardly as a bag.and check out your things, which they don't seem to have a policy on packing raw meat with bread and then crushing them with canned food oh and why not just add that Windex an overstuffed the bag. I once had a cashier make a mistake and scan the wrong coupon ended up holding up a whole line for 15 minutes whIle she called the manager to override her, what's the problem they don't even trust their own cashiers to work coupons, I don't know if the 15 minutes was worth the extra 30 cents saving

Added on to this other horrible policies and how they treat their employees to be seen in countless documentaries . For example how they take out insurance policies , which is why the which they claim for them selfs which is why they hire a older people and people with disabilities. You know for the higher interest claims. Then you have the fact they have people who strategize where to place the stores just so other stores go out of business. Considering how to taking business away from a small mom and pop places that struggle to keep a float. Saying so much about the pursuit of happiness used to be able used to be able to own a store make money based on the hard work. now they can just work at Wal-Mart and make minimum wage. I don't know if all this is worth the eestimated ten percent savings

Last edited by Jaredctz; 07-05-2013 at 02:26 PM..

Old 07-07-2013, 05:58 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,669,362 times
Isn't it wonderful that we DON'T have to shop at a place we DON'T like? There are options available to us. If I wanted, I could find fault with just about any store, not just Walmart.

For some reason, there are many people who believe you have to be total scum if you shop at Walmart.

I must be extremely lucky, or just non-judgmental, because the Walmart stores in my area are all clean, with friendly customers and friendly staff. I've received those 'forwarded' emails with photos of supposedly the worse looking people in the world with captions about them being Walmart customers. I've never seen anyone who looks like anyone in those ludicrous photos, or even close.

I can't justify shopping for the same items at one of the chain grocery stores that you can buy at WM for a substantial savings.

I will agree there may be some products at WM that are not top quality; but when it comes to detergent/fab softener, toothpaste, hair products, bath products, etc., and most food products, why not get the most for your money at WM? As a rule, most of those items are at least $1.00 less at WM; and when you all up all the savings it doesn't make sense to pay more at another store.

I was looking for a mattress topper and found one at Bed, Bath and Beyond that cost $50; but the identical item was at WM for $30. There are many, many name brand products at WM at reduced prices.

We each make our own choices; mine is to not spend more than necessary.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:46 AM

188,485 posts, read 77,802,751 times
Sometimes people do what they feel they have no other choice in doing. I have two walmart stores on each side of me. One is great and I despise the other one. People make the difference. I go to other box stores too and hate them as well. Hard to find made in the USA products at any of them. Once one company went to China for cheap manufacturing the rest followed suit to be able to compete and stay in business for give up and let a very chosen few have the monopoly on the junk.

Old 07-08-2013, 12:15 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,116,437 times
I shop at Wal Mart for same items at cheaper price has looking at buying the same stuff at others. The Anti wal mart thing is just a promotion of the service workers union targeting the biggest retailer; IMO.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:08 PM

20,689 posts, read 19,649,500 times
Our Walmart is clean but not very big. I saw a huge clean Walmart in, I think, Delaware and if I lived around there I'd probably shop there if I needed something. They had everything and the workers were polite and would help you find things.

One problem, in my opinion, is that people today buy too many things that they don't really need. It all adds up. If they could learn to cut corners and not buy all that junk they wouldn't need to go to Walmart. Most of the people are buying poor quality when they would do better to pay a little more and have it last a lot longer--or they are simply buying things for the sake of buying things.

People buy a lot of needless gadgets and other junk. You don't need everything you see on tv, you don't even need half of it. Lots of people just go to places like Walmart to walk around buying things, as if it is a national pastime.

Old 07-08-2013, 01:24 PM

5,328 posts, read 8,871,463 times
Smile Can't stand them....

Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
I live in the city, there are Walmart stores 20 miles away, i could not find a reason to drive that far to shop. It mention regularly here in many CD threads people will drive 30 miles away to shop at Walmart.
Why?.
Only God knows. I'm into quality and WalMart does not do that for me. Not worth it.

I hate that their stores have forced so many small stores in so many small towns to go out of business.

Old 07-08-2013, 02:25 PM

19,139 posts, read 19,984,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bette View Post
I hate that their stores have forced so many small stores in so many small towns to go out of business.
The small store in my town and the surrounding towns went out of business long before Walmart showed up.

Walmart saw a need and they filled it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products