U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-08-2013, 04:59 PM

188,484 posts, read 77,802,751 times

Advertisements

Everyone can't afford Nieman Marcus.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2013, 12:54 AM

18,677 posts, read 17,344,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
I live in the city, there are Walmart stores 20 miles away, i could not find a reason to drive that far to shop. It mention regularly here in many CD threads people will drive 30 miles away to shop at Walmart.
Why?.

Good prices. Enormous selection. On staples, I find no one can consistently match their price, not just due to buying power, but because WM's Distribution system is incredible.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:57 PM

18,946 posts, read 5,056,617 times
Newer and clean, close by, bank inside, good prices on many items.

Old 07-13-2013, 01:17 AM

40,076 posts, read 48,987,760 times
Why do people shop at Walmart? Because they want to.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:46 AM

6,416 posts, read 8,008,881 times
Mom and Pop stores were typically located along the main streets of cities, towns, villages, or whatever designation the area carried. Most people lived within a short walk (or carriage ride) of those stores. After WWII, the servicemen returned to marry and raise families and buy houses and cars (all manufacturing except for materials to support the war had been suspended). Builders built entire towns so that the veterans could borrow money (GI Bill) and buy a nice little house, and since these were generally suburbs of the cities, towns, villages, etc., they needed a car to get to jobs, schools, stores, etc.

As more and more cars hit the road, it became harder and harder to find a parking spot along those main streets. Whatever shall we do? Ooh, ooh, I know! Let's build a MALL. All those shops under one roof with acres and acres of parking. And so it was done. The next logical step was to replace "all those stores" with one big store that carried all the items one could ever need under one roof. And thus was born the Big Box store.

Wanna take a guess at what the first one was? No, it wasn't WalMart. It was K-Mart. K-Mart was a spinoff of S.S. Kresge's five and ten. In reality then, it might just be possible that the automobile was what caused the demise of the Mom & Pop stores.

While I'm not a fan of Walmart, it happens that every so often I go there for a couple of Great Value products that are comparable to the name brand at a generously discounted price.

I also go to K-Mart/Big K for some items but usually find them to be across the board higher than Walmart for most items. Exception: Yesterday, I bought two 12-packs of Cottonelle TP and one 6-pack of Viva paper towels, on sale for $4.99 each but with a Kimberly Clark rebate of $3.00 for the mix 'n match purchase of three, thus reducing the price to $3.99 each, with my coupon for $2.00, I reaped a considerable saving.

I have 15 supermarkets, including two Walmarts, in a less than 15 mile radius of my home. I'm not counting convenient stores, or so-called "pharmacies" that also sell some grocery items. I'm also not including Target because I don't care for their stuff. Nor am I including Dollar General, Family Dollar, Dollar Tree, or Dollar Surplus, all of which sell some food products. That's embarrassing to even say - 15 supermarkets. And I don't even live in a big city! Walmart hasn't yet driven ALL the competition away.

Old 07-13-2013, 10:58 AM

2,311 posts, read 3,667,669 times
I live in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania which is heavily populated.
There are many Walmart stores around me but nothing within an easy drive.

With that being said I wouldn't go there anyway.

I shop at a large chain supermarket called Giant or I go to Target or Wegman's.

For specialty products and very high quality meats and cheeses I go to a local two store chain called Valley Farm Market.

Walmart has done enough damage to the country without people who can afford a better shopping experience like myself to shop there.

I actually prefer customer service and quality over being ignored while dealing with the masses that I don't wish to deal with.

Old 07-13-2013, 12:28 PM

6,416 posts, read 8,008,881 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by julian17033 View Post
I live in the Lehigh Valley of Pennsylvania which is heavily populated.
There are many Walmart stores around me but nothing within an easy drive.

With that being said I wouldn't go there anyway.

I shop at a large chain supermarket called Giant or I go to Target or Wegman's.

For specialty products and very high quality meats and cheeses I go to a local two store chain called Valley Farm Market.

Walmart has done enough damage to the country without people who can afford a better shopping experience like myself to shop there.

I actually prefer customer service and quality over being ignored while dealing with the masses that I don't wish to deal with.
All those cars parked in Walmart's parking lot belong to people who can't afford a better shopping experience like yourself. I'm sure that one of them appreciates that you gave up your parking spot so they don't have to circle the lot more than once.

You should be happy that Walmart exists, otherwise, you'd have to deal with those masses in your own little enclave of "upscale" shopping.

BTW, I've shopped Giant, no big deal. I've shopped Wegman's - fine store, good products. No Target for me - nothing there at all appealing. But I don't get all snarky at the people who choose to shop there. Same for Walmart. The heart has its reasons.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:15 PM

28,905 posts, read 47,364,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
To save money, duh.

I have a big problem with the concept that Wal-Mart "runs" Mom & Pops out of business. Unfortunately for a smaller store they just are not going to be able to offer the same prices as the big box stores. Unless they make it up somehow with better service or a more unique selection people are going to shop where they can get the best deal.

That's just the way it is.
Thank you for that, because I agree with it.

Mind you, I look forward to a trip to WalMart the way I would a root canal. But these pious, romantic nitwits who shriek about WalMart putting the small merchants out of business never really think about the arguments they're putting forward. Or why WalMart succeeded in the first place. You know, the modern grocery store put a lot of local butchers, produce guys, and the whatnot out of business. But you don't hear complaints about them, do you?

WalMart really made its mark because they figured out how to give rural America something it desperately needed: Quality merchandise at a low price. I mean, hell, as an example of its roots the place is still run out of Bentonville, Arkansas, the middle of absolutely freaking nowhere. Before Sam Walton noodled things out, the average rural family paid a lot of money for life's essentials at the local grocery or five-and-dime.

What's more, these small-town merchants have had literally decades to get their collective acts together. They could have become more efficient. They could have upgraded the quality of their offerings. They could have provided better service to their customers. Some did and survived. Many didn't and have not.

I mean, let's just say you're a local merchant in Bugtussle, Alabama. Your town is twenty miles away from an interstate in the middle of farm country. And, one day, WalMart shows up at the local zoning board meeting wanting to buy a parcel on the outskirts of town.

Okay. So, it's going to take a few months to get the real estate deal done. Another few months to get the zoning in order, the water run, etc. The civil engineering's going to take a few more months. The foundation, the building itself, the parking lot, you name it, even longer.

There. Even if things go like crap through a goose, your little general store has a two-year grace period to get ready. Like figure out ways to whack your prices. Upgrade the merchandise. And really improve your relationship with customers. Competitively shop nearby WalMarts to find what you can offer that they don't. get together with other local merchants to develop some kind of competitive response. Actually spend some money and time on marketing yourself in order to create some kind of local brand, with the emphasis on local. Sponsor your local high school football team.

Two years. That's a lot of lead time. But instead, local merchants typically do nothing like a deer in the headlights. Their only hope is for a miracle, like an F5 twister leveling the place two hours before the ribbon-cutting.

The heck of it is that most people prefer to do business with a local merchant even if there's a 10% difference in price. Heck, just get it close. Do something.

Old 07-13-2013, 03:20 PM

14,419 posts, read 24,449,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
All those cars parked in Walmart's parking lot belong to people who can't afford a better shopping experience like yourself. I'm sure that one of them appreciates that you gave up your parking spot so they don't have to circle the lot more than once.

You should be happy that Walmart exists, otherwise, you'd have to deal with those masses in your own little enclave of "upscale" shopping.

Agree with you completely.

When Walmart and Aldi came to our town, Jewel was charging $2.09/ dozen eggs while selling them for $1.29/ dozen in the two closest towns. Since the two stores came in, the prices charged at the Jewel stores are identical to the Jewel stores in other towns.

Competition is a great thing. For the record, I do most of my shopping in Aldi and the local independents.

Old 07-14-2013, 09:16 AM

2,008 posts, read 6,112,385 times
Walmart is cheaper and for the most part the same food quality. Where in the world do you live. I have lived in 17 states and never been more than 15 miles from a Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products