U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-21-2013, 06:33 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,673,245 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rangerdude_Charlie View Post
I shop at Walmart because I am a poor American. I know there are elitists who are high and mighty and are against Walmart for various reasons but I shop there because the food they sell is cheap. I am able to afford food for myself and still have money in the bank afterwards. I have coworkers who have worked at Walmart and they say it isn't a bad place to work. I have also found their in house brand Great Value to offer some really good products for half the price. Gotta go where you can get your deal with your dollar, for me Walmart is that place.
^^Same here! Why pay more at another store? A gal I know who loves to snub people refuses to shop at WM, claiming that only lower class citizens shop there. I believe, that most who boycott WM aren't looking to cut costs, they just like to look down on others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2013, 11:30 PM

5,993 posts, read 8,461,918 times
For me, it's not about how close or far the distance is. I just don't like Walmart nearly as much as Target. I have 2 Walmart locations: One is about 15 min from me & the other is about 20 min. I try to shop there (Walmart) as little as possible. Walmart to me has this hectic, disorganized feeling. You just want to grab what you need & get outta there. Target feels much more calm, upscale, & enjoyable to shop at. I could browse in there for 1-2 hours. It's wierd. We have both Walmart & Target locally, yet you see the more ghetto, trashy, poor people shopping at Walmart & the more nicely dressed looking, richer looking people shopping at Target.

Old 07-24-2013, 06:25 PM

19,151 posts, read 19,991,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
For me, it's not about how close or far the distance is. I just don't like Walmart nearly as much as Target. I have 2 Walmart locations: One is about 15 min from me & the other is about 20 min. I try to shop there (Walmart) as little as possible. Walmart to me has this hectic, disorganized feeling. You just want to grab what you need & get outta there. Target feels much more calm, upscale, & enjoyable to shop at. I could browse in there for 1-2 hours. It's wierd. We have both Walmart & Target locally, yet you see the more ghetto, trashy, poor people shopping at Walmart & the more nicely dressed looking, richer looking people shopping at Target.
Your county location says it all.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:06 PM

4,800 posts, read 10,747,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Forever Blue View Post
Walmart to me has this hectic, disorganized feeling. You just want to grab what you need & get outta there. Target feels much more calm, upscale, & enjoyable to shop at.
I do agree with that observation. Very hectic in Walmart which is why I almost always go in the early morning before 9am and usually when I need groceries but also something not in a grocery store, like some socks or underwear. At Walmart you can get both of those things in the same shopping trip.
I have been going to our local Walmart a little often lately because they now have self checkout lanes , which is a blessed relief from the long lines because Walmart doesn't hire enough cashiers.

Old 07-27-2013, 07:20 PM

21,558 posts, read 24,696,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
At my Walmart, there's a significant difference in the quality of food they sell and what's available at our farmer's markets and Whole Foods.
At my local WM its reversed. FM & WF fresh fruits/veggies tend to be blander in flavor and go bad pretty quickly. Yet WM produce which primarily comes from S. America has a better flavor. For example the WM cantaloupe has a sweet taste to it and is soft while the WF has a bitter after taste and is hard. The same thing goes for the Watermelon. Just buy the small plastic containers of each and do a taste test.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:40 AM

5,044 posts, read 8,034,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I have been going to our local Walmart a little often lately because they now have self checkout lanes , which is a blessed relief from the long lines because Walmart doesn't hire enough cashiers.
Why should they hire more cashier's when you'll do the cashier job for free?

Old 07-28-2013, 08:45 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,935,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kanhawk View Post
I do agree with that observation. Very hectic in Walmart which is why I almost always go in the early morning before 9am and usually when I need groceries but also something not in a grocery store, like some socks or underwear. At Walmart you can get both of those things in the same shopping trip.
Walmart hires plenty of cashiers. At my store alone we have a lot of new faces lately. You have to understand though that the schedules come out of Bensonville, not your local store. They take all the figures based on time of day, number of transactions, etc. and the schedules are based on that. If we get long lines the managers will jump on a register and they'll call for all cashier trained associates to come up front. We DON'T like long lines forming and we DO try to get them through as quickly as possible. In our store it's true the best times to shop are before 10 AM and after 8 PM.

Old 07-28-2013, 08:50 AM

8,776 posts, read 9,935,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by montanamom View Post
Why should they hire more cashier's when you'll do the cashier job for free?
It's not like self checkout doesn't have cashiers on duty. The all do. Personally I like self checkout because I don't like the way other people bag my stuff. I am anal about it...also with my customers and they like it...and I don't trust most of co workers to do it the way I want it. A guy the other day was griping about not enough registers open, suggested we close self checkout and open up four registers. Well, that wouldn't work because they wouldn't open that many for four customers and it would just mean a longer line somewhere. Also, another thing about 'no registers open' is that customers are somewhat lazy. There WILL be registers open but they don't bother to look for a light on or a cashier on the aisle 'redlining' looking for them or want to walk that far or something. They'll stop at the closest register, even if there's a line. And, unless there's a line, they think I'm closed. Which is why I like to work at the lower numbered registers...they keep me BUSY!

Old 08-01-2013, 06:33 AM

3,056 posts, read 6,698,036 times
I do because they are open 24 hours and I have odd hours. I would rather shop at Target or a regular grocery store though.

Old 08-01-2013, 11:41 AM

143 posts, read 280,639 times
I am so thankful that in my immediate area there are at least 4-5 very cheap grocery places to shop at. I never find ChinaMart to be that cheap anyway. ChinaMart can shove it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products