Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-02-2013, 03:23 PM

2,811 posts, read 5,625,045 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
Walmart hires plenty of cashiers. At my store alone we have a lot of new faces lately. You have to understand though that the schedules come out of Bensonville, not your local store. They take all the figures based on time of day, number of transactions, etc. and the schedules are based on that. If we get long lines the managers will jump on a register and they'll call for all cashier trained associates to come up front. We DON'T like long lines forming and we DO try to get them through as quickly as possible. In our store it's true the best times to shop are before 10 AM and after 8 PM.
I wish the Walmart stores in my area were this good about actually trying to get help when lines get long! Any time I am in either of the stores near me it is just a mess- there are maybe 20 total check out lanes but on any given Saturday or Sunday afternoon I am in there they may only have 5-7 of those open, with lines that are 5 or 6 deep at every register. You'll see associates walking around doing whatever else they do, but never have I seen someone come up and open more registers. We stood in line one time for 20 minutes before finally checking out, it was ridiculous- we had a cart full of groceries and thought about being jerks about it and just abandoning the cart in an aisle and leaving. (we didn't, though)

That is probably my number 1 complaint about Walmart- they are too cheap to make sure a few extra cashiers are available to make sure customers don't have to wait in long lines to check out. Other stores don't usually have these problems, no matter how busy my local Target store can be I have never, ever had to wait more than just a couple minutes to check out. Same with the grocery stores.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2013, 11:52 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,904,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
I wish the Walmart stores in my area were this good about actually trying to get help when lines get long! Any time I am in either of the stores near me it is just a mess- there are maybe 20 total check out lanes but on any given Saturday or Sunday afternoon I am in there they may only have 5-7 of those open, with lines that are 5 or 6 deep at every register. You'll see associates walking around doing whatever else they do, but never have I seen someone come up and open more registers. We stood in line one time for 20 minutes before finally checking out, it was ridiculous- we had a cart full of groceries and thought about being jerks about it and just abandoning the cart in an aisle and leaving. (we didn't, though)

That is probably my number 1 complaint about Walmart- they are too cheap to make sure a few extra cashiers are available to make sure customers don't have to wait in long lines to check out. Other stores don't usually have these problems, no matter how busy my local Target store can be I have never, ever had to wait more than just a couple minutes to check out. Same with the grocery stores.
Our store stresses customer service with a vengeance. lol We have 35 registers in our store and that includes 8 self checkout scanners and 6-20 items or less registers. The most we have open, of the 21 regular registers, is probably 10. Except for Black Friday...lol Today we had more but it's the first of the month and back to school shopping so it's crazy. Even so, I still saw managers hit the registers to get the lines down. Our managers are really great about it and we appreciate them. They just do a Code C over the intercom and people come help.

I'm pretty fast on the register and, barring any problems, I can have most people out in about five minutes. My last customer tonight had three baskets full, totaling over $400, so that one took me a while but people shouldn't get behind other people that have that much stuff. Our self checkouts get a LOT of use and since they put counters on the front monitor I'm always checking to see how many transactions have been made. The most I've seen is 648 and that was on the 'slow end' of the store and for five hours. We have a crazy busy store! The last lunch break I did there saw 154 transactions in one hour.

Old 08-08-2013, 10:49 AM

4,713 posts, read 9,701,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Politicians and corporate America is to blame for shipping everything off shore, don't blame the consumers
I will blame the consumers. Those who want everything for as cheaply as possible are usually also the ones who complain about not being able to find jobs, or jobs that pay a decent wage. You can't have it both ways - companies cannot afford to hire more workers at better wages if consumers will not support them by buying their products to begin with.

Old 08-08-2013, 11:53 AM

18,665 posts, read 19,966,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by todd00 View Post
Think for a minute, is it really hard to figure out why? Everything under one roof, a large selection, many stores around, open 24/7, better prices than most places..
Amen. I was there yesterday, and I'll be back this weekend. I am delighted to live under 1.5 miles from a superstore, equipped with many self-checkout stations.

Old 08-09-2013, 01:45 PM

1,290 posts, read 1,343,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
If they could, they would. Make no mistake about it.

Your exaltation of Target while demonizing Wal*Mart is clear evidence that you form your opinions based primarily emotion, and also your willful acceptance of the propaganda that's been bandied about by the unions that would love nothing more than to rake in the billions they'd steal if they could get their grimy hands into that retailer.
While I am fortunate enough to live in an area with a LOT of grocery stores, and farmers markets, as well as several Walmarts and Targets (and even a KMart)...

I will ALWAYS pick Target over Walmart. Main reason... the people who are shopping there. The people in our local Walmarts look like the "people of walmart" website --- scary, scary people. Plus our walmart stores are GROSS.

Target is cleaner, brighter, and the people there appear to be normal. So it wins my vote

Old 08-09-2013, 02:39 PM

4,699 posts, read 3,278,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
While I am fortunate enough to live in an area with a LOT of grocery stores, and farmers markets, as well as several Walmarts and Targets (and even a KMart)...

I will ALWAYS pick Target over Walmart. Main reason... the people who are shopping there. The people in our local Walmarts look like the "people of walmart" website --- scary, scary people. Plus our walmart stores are GROSS.

Target is cleaner, brighter, and the people there appear to be normal. So it wins my vote

You are very fortunate to live in an area where you have a choice of where to shop. I have the choice of shopping at a couple of very expensive local grocery stores or Walmart. I shop at Walmart because of better variety and prices options. If I went to our local grocery my bill would at least double if not triple. The Walmart stores that I visit are all pretty clean for the most part. I have been in stores in larger areas that could be considered toxic dumps.

I go very early in the morning to avoid all of the scary shoppers. Go in the middle of the day and you will see far more of the other shoppers than you need to.

Old 08-09-2013, 06:53 PM

16,066 posts, read 21,138,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tober138 View Post
I will blame the consumers. Those who want everything for as cheaply as possible are usually also the ones who complain about not being able to find jobs, or jobs that pay a decent wage. You can't have it both ways - companies cannot afford to hire more workers at better wages if consumers will not support them by buying their products to begin with.
Catch-22. Can't afford to pay higher prices with lousy or no wages. More of the blame to the corporations who give their top tier brass insane $$$ packages. Cut a little fat off the top and spread that to your front line, maybe things would get a little better.

Old 08-09-2013, 11:38 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,179 times
We prefer to go grocery shopping at Crest, and we're getting an Aldi's, but WM is just so darn convenient. You can even have your car serviced while grocery shopping. But, lately, there have been 2 or 3 check outs, self check out lanes closed and lines running back into the merchandise. We saw a lot of mad people tonight, some people left their carts and left the store. We left before we started. It was ridiculous.

Old 08-10-2013, 04:39 AM

10,746 posts, read 26,015,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post

Yup...Target and Publix here.

I avoid WM with every part of my being...very rarely do I go there. It's just not a fun shopping expeirence for me. The store is dirty, the employees are dressed in faded, torn or ratty looking 'uniforms' and barely speak english, the shoppers are dirty, the produce is not fresh,..it's worth spending a few bucks more and going to Target or Publix.

Old 08-11-2013, 09:30 AM

894 posts, read 4,349,397 times
Although, not my first choice, I shop there because I get cash back when I do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products