U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2013, 11:23 AM

1,257 posts, read 3,137,069 times

Advertisements

Usually I find what I want, and it's cheaper.

I notice that Walmart always seems to be busy too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2013, 09:08 PM

32,838 posts, read 60,961,910 times
It's not the fellow shoppers at Wal Mart that annoy me, it's the sole cashier open on a Saturday afternoon, it's the chaotic shelves where nothing is near the price tag on the shelf, if the merchandise has been restocked at all, it's the cheap merchandise.

Old 08-11-2013, 10:31 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,110,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by njmom66 View Post
While I am fortunate enough to live in an area with a LOT of grocery stores, and farmers markets, as well as several Walmarts and Targets (and even a KMart)...

I will ALWAYS pick Target over Walmart. Main reason... the people who are shopping there. The people in our local Walmarts look like the "people of walmart" website --- scary, scary people. Plus our walmart stores are GROSS.

Target is cleaner, brighter, and the people there appear to be normal. So it wins my vote
I see the same people in both target and wal mart but then luckily they are not scary. Too bad your is . Really no scary people any where here in shopping.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:15 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,931,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohiogirl81 View Post
It's not the fellow shoppers at Wal Mart that annoy me, it's the sole cashier open on a Saturday afternoon, it's the chaotic shelves where nothing is near the price tag on the shelf, if the merchandise has been restocked at all, it's the cheap merchandise.
Wow, I cannot imagine one cashier on a Sat. afternoon in our store. We are soooo busy they are going like mad and a lot of them! By the time I got off Sat. I was totally exhausted, it was so busy all day. But it's that way every day at our store and lucky for us, I guess, the shelves keep getting stocked.

Old 08-11-2013, 11:17 PM

8,776 posts, read 9,931,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I see the same people in both target and wal mart but then luckily they are not scary. Too bad your is . Really no scary people any where here in shopping.
Same here. I don't know where these "scary people" are but they aren't here! Some of them might look a little sloppy in their dress but they aren't "scary" and most of them are just ordinary every day people. I guess I should be grateful for that. I see them at different stores too, not just mine.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:04 AM

462 posts, read 593,084 times
I think the "rollback values" at Walmart are overrated. I can get a bunch of good things at a dollar store and not have to walk as much. Walmarts seem to be more like retail hell every time I walk in one. If I have to go to a discount department store, I will go to Target. I've only been to Wally World twice this year, and that's too much. I prefer normal-sized grocery stores for food. Publix and Kroger have very good deals on food items - a lot of 2-for-1s and discounts. If you buy what's on sale and not what you "have" to get, it can be pretty cheap.

I feel sorry for small towns that are being taken over by the store. All I will say about the clientele is go see PeopleOfWalmart.

Old 08-12-2013, 12:17 AM

7,495 posts, read 9,964,976 times
For some people, Walmart may be their only choice.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:45 AM

36,770 posts, read 11,107,436 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
To go with what Thomas says....
In most rural areas your shopping choices are very limited. It can be very cost effective to make the trip and stock up on your basic necessities.

As much as I would love to give my business to the local grocer...if I can provide the basic necessities for $40-$50 less at WalMart, that's $40-$50 more I have to pay the bills.

And the Tide you buy at WalMart is the same Tide you'd buy at a "classier" store.

ITA. I go where the bargains are. I'm always amused when I hear people take swipes at Walmart's "products." With the exception of house brands, which most stores carry, the merchandise is the same there as elsewhere and, more often, at a savings.

Old 08-12-2013, 11:51 AM

4,714 posts, read 8,573,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Catch-22. Can't afford to pay higher prices with lousy or no wages.
Very true - it is a bit of a vicious circle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
More of the blame to the corporations who give their top tier brass insane $$$ packages. Cut a little fat off the top and spread that to your front line, maybe things would get a little better.
Maybe. Although it sometimes seems to easy to villify the salaries of the "top tier brass".

Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM

912 posts, read 876,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamtonfordbury View Post
I think the "rollback values" at Walmart are overrated. I can get a bunch of good things at a dollar store and not have to walk as much. Walmarts seem to be more like retail hell every time I walk in one. If I have to go to a discount department store, I will go to Target. I've only been to Wally World twice this year, and that's too much. I prefer normal-sized grocery stores for food. Publix and Kroger have very good deals on food items - a lot of 2-for-1s and discounts. If you buy what's on sale and not what you "have" to get, it can be pretty cheap.

I feel sorry for small towns that are being taken over by the store. All I will say about the clientele is go see PeopleOfWalmart.
What is funny to me about this post is, occasionally I'll stop in the local dollar store, and the people there are LESS nasty then the people I see at our local Walmart.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products