U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2013, 07:21 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,670,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catdancer View Post
When you shop at Walmart, you're not even buying what you want to buy. You're buying what they want you to buy.
Not me. I buy what I want to buy.

Where do people come up with these across the board opinions that "everyone" does this, or "everyone" does that?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2013, 07:29 AM

73,312 posts, read 85,496,749 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Not me. I buy what I want to buy.

Where do people come up with these across the board opinions that "everyone" does this, or "everyone" does that?
Thank you; right now hubby is at a meeting and will stop at WalMart for me, on his way home. No, he won't find me at WalMart, but he is getting something I needed. All he will do is return a phone battery that didn't work and buy some green onions. I do not shop at WalMart often, but when I need things from several departments or only want to pick up one or two things I do like them. Anyone who makes a blanket statement like the one you are referring to, probably has an agenda. Would I ever drive 30 miles to shop at one? Of course not, unless I had no choice, but they do fill a need..

Old 08-23-2013, 08:08 AM

4,245 posts, read 6,087,894 times
I shop at Wal-Mart because I can get to it (short bike ride and it's on a bus line, if I need bulkier stuff I cant get on bike, or the weather is bad), and because its cheap.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:25 AM

5,759 posts, read 4,350,753 times
Now if I had my druthers, i would not go to Wal-Mart (too crowded) but on some occasions its just way too convenient not to.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:24 AM

894 posts, read 1,036,310 times
I don't understand why anyone would buy groceries from Wal-Mart. It's cheaper for a reason - it's awful for you. Might as well just eat at McDonald's instead (note: this isn't a good idea either).

The fruits and vegetables have generally been sitting out longer than at a normal grocery store, are normally in worse shape than you would find elsewhere. Dairy products always seem to have much shorter expiration dates there (gee, I wonder why), and I don't even want to think about the meat they have...

Food isn't something to skimp out on. Pay a few bucks extra and get some quality food from a real grocer (or farmer's market) that isn't going to contribute to an early death due to inferior products.

Old 08-23-2013, 09:33 AM

894 posts, read 1,036,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
The average cost for heath insurance for a single person, no kids, is around $140 month which I don't think is so bad. You can get dental for a few dollars more and we get discounts on optical.
Sorry to break it to you, but that is not very good.

At my company, for the full family plan (with the best coverage), it would be:

Family Medical Plus: $54.40/month
Family Dental Plus: $10.35/month
Family Vision Plan: $3.40/month

= $68.15/month for an ENTIRE FAMILY to be covered with the best Medical/Dental/Vision plans.

For an individual (and the "basic" plans) it's only:

Single Medical Basic: $14.10/month
Single Dental Basic: $0.55/month
Single Vision: $1.00/month

$15.65/month for a single person on the basic plans.

$140/month for just you is pretty steep! That would be nearly a year's worth of coverage for a single person here!

Old 08-23-2013, 10:14 AM

36,770 posts, read 11,112,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheeeen View Post
For every 2 jobs that walmart creates, 3 other people lose their job.

Oh, please. Here we go again with the "Walmart is the boogeyman who puts mom and pop stores out of business." They all do that...Kresge's (now K-Mart), Target, Costco, B.J.s...not to mention the explostion of online shopping sites and big-box home improvement behemoths that have put local hardware stores out of business. That's the way of the world, today.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:22 AM

10,702 posts, read 9,670,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post
I don't understand why anyone would buy groceries from Wal-Mart. It's cheaper for a reason - it's awful for you. Might as well just eat at McDonald's instead (note: this isn't a good idea either).

The fruits and vegetables have generally been sitting out longer than at a normal grocery store, are normally in worse shape than you would find elsewhere. Dairy products always seem to have much shorter expiration dates there (gee, I wonder why), and I don't even want to think about the meat they have...

Food isn't something to skimp out on. Pay a few bucks extra and get some quality food from a real grocer (or farmer's market) that isn't going to contribute to an early death due to inferior products.
Not all of the grocery items at WM have an expiration date; same as with the paper products, detergents, canned foods, boxed foods (cereal, etc.). Light bulbs, household items . . I believe you get my drift.

Yes, I do agree that at times I have seen fruits/veggies that are not fresh; and in those cases I don't buy them. But to claim that 'all' grocery items are 'awful' for you is simply erroneous; and are responsible for an 'early death'....oh good grief.

Go ahead, shop wherever you wish. We don't blast you for shopping wherever you shop; please extend the same courtesy to others.

Old 08-23-2013, 10:58 AM

40,556 posts, read 24,897,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoulesMSU View Post

Actually, because Wal-Mart gets so many customers, the fruits and vegetables are on the shelves for a shorter time than at many grocery stores. While your experience may be different from mine because of the region of the country you live in, I often buy produce at Wal-Mart. I also have a garden, and buy from the farmer's market, and as fall is approaching, will visit local orchards as well.

The whole-wheat bread at Wal-Mart is the same as the whole-wheat bread at Krogers. It's just less expensive. The jasmine rice is the same, just cheaper. The canned tomatoes are the same, just cheaper. The Barilla pasta is the same, just cheaper.

Old 08-26-2013, 11:30 PM

4 posts, read 6,095 times
People shop at Walmart becasue of its advantage about price, sort of products. they can drive to Walmart once eack week to buy basic necessities for long time. You can try on a coupon or promo codes of Walmart in order not to drive to there. In addition, you may save money with Walmart coupons and promo codes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products