U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2009, 09:33 PM

9,188 posts, read 30,490,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
I'm only going to comment on this one item because it's a little mis-leading.
I don't know if you meant it that way or not...but.

I work with a lot of the children's programs that are sponsored by the local government. Both WalMart AND Target are very generous in giving to the programs. Sometimes we just walk in the door at WalMart and they greet us with giftcards to use either as door prizes or to off set our expenses.
So WalMart also gives back to the community.

I just thought it only fair to clearify that.
Ok, I'll add this: You are correct in that both donate to charities. But I still prefer Target because they are not trying to dominate the world and destroy small town main streets like Walmart is known to do. Just my opinion.

And, per some other comments, Target treats their people (employees) better. I've known people who had to work at both places and Target treats their people like employees, not "payroll unit #125,215".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2009, 09:41 PM

11,336 posts, read 17,382,766 times
I live in NYC but in the suburban outskirts in the Southeast part, there's a Walmart 2 miles away on Long Island. Walmart has everything for cheap, the only problem is that its always crowded in there unlike the ones in PA, FL, etc.

I like Target too, its usually less crowded and has 90% of the same stuff as Walmart, the tan & red color scheme feels more inviting to me than Walmart's blue & white.

Old 08-29-2009, 09:42 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,078,787 times
Targtet would love to be wal-mart;who are you kidding, Your also kidding yourself if you thnik they don't hurt the smaller businesses in your town.That is business and they all want to be the most successful retailer.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:05 PM

15,209 posts, read 18,488,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atlantagreg30127 View Post
I still prefer Target because they are not trying to dominate the world and destroy small town main streets like Walmart is known to do. Just my opinion.
If they could, they would. Make no mistake about it.

Your exaltation of Target while demonizing Wal*Mart is clear evidence that you form your opinions based primarily emotion, and also your willful acceptance of the propaganda that's been bandied about by the unions that would love nothing more than to rake in the billions they'd steal if they could get their grimy hands into that retailer.

Old 08-29-2009, 10:12 PM

1,584 posts, read 4,137,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
I live in the city, there are Walmart stores 20 miles away, i could not find a reason to drive that far to shop. It mention regularly here in many CD threads people will drive 30 miles away to shop at Walmart.
Why?.

I wouldn't drive 500feet to shop at ChinaMart And I drive by it everyday without ever stopping!

Old 08-29-2009, 11:22 PM

2,002 posts, read 4,124,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
I live in the city, there are Walmart stores 20 miles away, i could not find a reason to drive that far to shop. It mention regularly here in many CD threads people will drive 30 miles away to shop at Walmart.
Why?.
Maybe it's good for 2-weeks or monthly shopping. It is clearly cheaper than other supermarkets. (At least here.)

Old 08-29-2009, 11:34 PM

37,131 posts, read 43,038,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Granny Sue View Post
To go with what Thomas says....
In most rural areas your shopping choices are very limited. It can be very cost effective to make the trip and stock up on your basic necessities.

As much as I would love to give my business to the local grocer...if I can provide the basic necessities for $40-$50 less at WalMart, that's $40-$50 more I have to pay the bills.

And the Tide you buy at WalMart is the same Tide you'd buy at a "classier" store.
What she said.

I grew up very rurally. You had to drive a distance to get to ANY store, so it made sense to drive to the one where you got the most bang for your buck.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:39 PM

2,614 posts, read 7,917,697 times
My local Walmart is just 1/4 mile walking distance from home. I walk there at least once a week to buy household and everyday common items from toothpaste to soap and cleaning products. Our Walmart doesn't have a grocery store, but I prefer grocery shopping at a nearby Persian food market that has better fresh fruits and veggies than any mega store in town. Any places within short walking distance of home and reasonable prices are my choices for shopping.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:45 PM

37,131 posts, read 43,038,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveUrban View Post
I guess America has lost interest in small town identity where you once got your meat from the local butcher, your hair cut from the local barber, your food provisions from a market or even Old John down the road at his farm, your clothes and shoes fitted by sweet old Mrs. Anne at her shop, and ice cream at one of those stands or even from the ice cream truck.
I think America has mainly just lost interest in spending more for goods than they need to, in many contexts (in others, gleefully wasting money is still embraced, but I'm talking toilet paper and ground beef and toothpaste and the like, here).

I was raised rurally and have lived the majority of my life in small towns and villages, and the demise of small-town downtown culture is something I observed happening with my own eyes. But the bottom line is that if you can't keep your prices competitive, or if you can't offset the higher prices you need to charge for goods with some other perk or service that larger entities can't offer, why SHOULD you expect people to pay more? Particularly in small communities where incomes are typically lower than average. Honestly, in the communities I've lived in, dollar stores had the best deals, much better than Wal-Marts and Targets, so it made going three blocks to Family Dollar versus 15 miles to Wal-Mart, when FamDol was cheaper anyway a no-brianer. But they're not necessarily found in all small communities.

Old 08-29-2009, 11:49 PM

16,162 posts, read 21,097,947 times
Because they care more about saving a nickel than America
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products