U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2009, 12:53 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,678,834 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
That would be because they lowballed pricing to eliminate the small local business owners. Small towns managed to survive prior to WalMart's existence. The destruction of small town downtowns can be directly tied to their presence on the outskirts.
Do you have a link or reference supporting this statement, or it this your opinion?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2009, 12:56 PM

56,618 posts, read 75,697,810 times
bek i can get gouged badly going to small shops and no warrenty also gota go to 6 stores to do the shopping, the overall price at walmart will always be lower and everything is there. faster safer shopping. time is money. its either walmart of internet. im done with small stores.

Old 08-31-2009, 01:08 PM

9,807 posts, read 13,685,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I shop there because they have everyhting and they are general the lowest priced. Thankful;i don't live in a big city ;so the people there are the same as other stores.It is more crowded but that is because of the prices.Great return policy too.
You are correct !

Old 08-31-2009, 01:22 PM

15,210 posts, read 18,495,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
Do you have a link or reference supporting this statement, or it this your opinion?
It's his opinion. It's been shown that a Wal*Mart opening in an area has no measurable net effect on the number of small businesses in that area.

All the anti-Wal*Mart propaganda is just that - propaganda. It's fueled by two groups - the unions, who want the billions they'd steal every year if they could "organize" the Wal*Mart employees, and the anti-capitalism leftists, who would love nothing more than to see the destruction of every large corporation. If Wal*Mart disappeared tomorrow, they'd set their sights on whoever happens to be the next largest company.

Old 08-31-2009, 03:23 PM

19,137 posts, read 19,981,489 times
Mom and Pop stores started going out of business way before Wal-Mart. Think about your local super market, K-Mart, Sears, JC Penny and many others.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:39 AM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post

All the anti-Wal*Mart propaganda is just that - propaganda. It's fueled by two groups - the unions, who want the billions they'd steal every year if they could "organize" the Wal*Mart employees, and the anti-capitalism leftists, who would love nothing more than to see the destruction of every large corporation.
I'm an anti-capitalist leftist and I love Walmart.

I think we should nationalize it.

Old 09-01-2009, 03:15 AM

27,236 posts, read 41,854,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
I live in the city, there are Walmart stores 20 miles away, i could not find a reason to drive that far to shop. It mention regularly here in many CD threads people will drive 30 miles away to shop at Walmart.
Why?.
No idea...why anyone would DRIVE that far. I live about 10 or 15 minutes, WALKING, from a Wal-Mart, it's the closest store I could go to. Work is a 45-minute walk away for me--not 20 or 30 miles.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:33 AM

5,942 posts, read 6,746,366 times
I shop at Wal-mart, mainly for groceries and health and beauty items.

I usually dread going there because of the sheer number of people though.

Lately, I've been using Wal-Mart's "Great Value" generic brands and have been very impressed. The GV brand has received a face-lift as of late, with all new, plain white packaging. The prices ususually undercuts the main stream brands, but I have seen a few prices above.

Overall the quality of the GV brand is as good as (or better in a few cases IMO) as the main brands.

Old 09-01-2009, 01:55 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,216,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by motormaker View Post
Mom and Pop stores started going out of business way before Wal-Mart. Think about your local super market, K-Mart, Sears, JC Penny and many others.
Exactly.

Let's say, hypothetically, that Walmart shuts down tomorrow.

What would replace them? Would we suddenly see a return the days of mom-and-pop? No, we'd just see more Dollar Generals, Targets, Marshalls, and K-Marts.

If you're against chain retailing, so be it. But if you are anti-Walmart because they displace small businesses, and then you go and spend your money at Target, that's hypocritical.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:03 PM

2,212 posts, read 4,652,233 times
I am not a big fan of WalMart's corporation but after going out of my way for years to shop at other places, I finally bit the bullet and did an experiment for food/cleaning supplies/toiletries. My menu doesn't vary too much...I cook about 15-20 different things and we always get the same toiletries (toothpaste/soap/shaving cream) and cleaning supplies so I was curious to see what the bill would be. Previously, I shopped at an actual grocery store and then went to Target for the cleaning supplies and toiletries. I have always shopped with coupons.

So...we save between $100-$150 by shopping at WalMart. Luckily for us, our store is just down the street but even if it were further away, I would still shop there. When trying to live on a budget, $100 minimum every two weeks is significant enough to overlook their poor corporate policies.

And any sales that the grocery stores are having and always accepted at WalMart. Most of the time when shopping, I bring the grocery flyers and 99% of the time, the prices have already been marked down. When they're not, the checkout person honors the price.

The only thing I buy at a grocery store is the produce. WalMart produce always looks a little "haggard" to me and they don't seem to carry fresh, local produce (at least not where I'm from). Colorado peaches are in season right now as is Colorado corn. They have corn and peaches at WalMart but not local. They also rarely carry the fresh berries in the summer.

And I do make an effort to do all of my grocery shopping first thing in the morning. WalMart attracts a lot of idiots and I try to avoid them (and the insane parking lots) in the afternoon and I treat it like the plague on the weekends and right before a holiday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products