U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2009, 02:33 PM

4,645 posts, read 5,159,586 times

Advertisements

I won't go to Wal Mart. Toxic, crowded with people who take up the aisles, and let their kids run hog wild. Cheap stiff clothing full of chemicals. I like Costco. And a myriad of other places. I shop when the crowds are low, no matter where I go. I can't deal with screaming kids, and parents who let them scream.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2009, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcity View Post
Exactly.

Let's say, hypothetically, that Walmart shuts down tomorrow.

What would replace them? Would we suddenly see a return the days of mom-and-pop? No, we'd just see more Dollar Generals, Targets, Marshalls, and K-Marts.

If you're against chain retailing, so be it. But if you are anti-Walmart because they displace small businesses, and then you go and spend your money at Target, that's hypocritical.
I would do the happy dance if Wal Mart shut down forever. Most people don't recall something called a dime store. They were great. And so were the small drug stores. And farmers markets, and nothing could beat the department stores back then. Most Modern stores are ugly. And they offer a lot of crap destined for landfills. I have a 1950 tablecloth still going strong. I could get 25 dollars on ebay for it. Can't say that about any tablecloth made these days, generally speaking.

Old 09-01-2009, 02:51 PM

30 posts, read 52,826 times
Because it's cheap and has a lot of variety

Old 09-01-2009, 11:21 PM

48,516 posts, read 85,098,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by niceguy19125 View Post
That would be because they lowballed pricing to eliminate the small local business owners. Small towns managed to survive prior to WalMart's existence. The destruction of small town downtowns can be directly tied to their presence on the outskirts.
If th0se same merchanats were doing such a good job for their customers then they would still be there;. fact is that most of tehm were chargign evry high prices and that they actaully did many thing to keep teh competition out of towen.I see many small townas that are doing fine ven with a wal-mart. It is just a excuse IMO. Most of the anti-wal-mart is from unions ;pure and simple. you don't want to shop there ;thern don't but don't tell me where to shop is my opinion.

Old 09-01-2009, 11:30 PM

22,026 posts, read 23,557,492 times
My guess is that small towns are dwindling not because of Walmart but because young people don't want to live there anymore. They graduate from high school and move on to college or to a larger city. Very few of them want to stay home and take over dad's farm or garage or shoe repair business....but I'm sure there are plenty of people happy to blame Walmart....

Old 09-02-2009, 09:00 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,798,070 times
Guys, everyone needs to seriously read up on the buisness practices of Wal Mart to realize what they do.

I am not demonizing them, but they are a VERY driven profit machine that has done several things in the past to drive out competition and lower prices that end up hurting us all in th elong run.

First is simple leveraged sales. When you own XXX stores, you can take a loss on one to make it so that people will come in to yours rather than what is alrady there. Cut your profit down to 0 or less.

Will this INSTANTLY drive out competition? No, but it does make it harder, and lowers salaries for everyone working in that town because they are trying to compete. Lower salaries, lower spending, lower revenue (taxes) downward spiral.

Second is how they leverage prces. Say Joe builds widgets. He makes 10,000 a month and sells to 5 different distributors. Wal-Mart comes in, says they LOVE the Widgets and want to buy 12,000 a month!!! this is GREAT! Joe cancels his deals with the other distributors and takes a boost in sales.

This, however, does not last. Wal-Mart then says "hey! We want to pay XX for these Widgets!". Joe is shocked. He made more profit off of 10,000 of them when he sold them to different distributors than 12K to Wal-Mart.

While this SOUNDS good to the consumer. Joe, his family, and all his workers feel the hit. Salaries get lower, or few people work longer.

Or WM just says "To hell with you Joe!" and gets a Chinese knockoff of the Widget (putting Joe and his workers out of buisness).

Third is connected to what was in the second pont. It is one thnig to save money, but when it goes to either cheap imports or "slash and burn" techniques for production (like the pig farms where they cut off the pigs tails to avoid having another pig bite it off in such close company).

Do not get me wrong, I love lower prices on produce, but at what cost? What does this savings end up costing the country in the long run? What does living on Hot Dog Cart specials (as opposed to just about anything else) do to your health? I grumbled when I read that Time magazine article about th "cost" of cheaper food, but I can't deny that they are 100% right about its wide spread and long term impact.

Fourth is the whole pay thing. People counter this by uttering the epithet "union" like it was some form of pestilence. Most people do that until they themselves are stuck in a job where their bosses are not only not listening to them, but TOLD not to. Unions are just like everything else. they are run by people. Some are better, or "nicer" than others. Without them, however, many professionals would be paid squat, or exposed to many hazardous situations (Coal Miners are the classic example. Want proof? Go look at China).

They say somehow that Unions are the cause for all expense and problems in just about anything, and while I agree that they certainly do not make things easy in the construction buisness, the alternative has been 90% shoddy work. But the question goes out. I have been to WM, and looked at their prices on groceries. How is it, with a careful eye, I can usually find everything I need from Shop Rite (WITH Unions) cheaper than WM?

I think WM has a lower base price, but with sales, discounts and coupons, SR competes VERY well despite its higher cost of operation.

Finally is the labor practices. Even w.o a Union, a company can pay its employees. Deliberately keeping them on a 39 hour week to avoid paying things like Health Insurance is another cheap shot. What, I have to pay taxes to send your workers to Medicare? It would be interesting to see how many underemployed people use things like Medicare and actually end up costig us more when all expenses are considered than ones who are taken care of by their company (at least in part).

That's about it. I do not consider them to be the big evil. Elimination of them will just prompt another to take its place, but that is still no reason to say "Hey, there are other murderers out there, why do we have to get rid of this one?". NOT that WM is a murderer, but you get the point. One company doing bad has no defense by pointing to others doing the same thing or whou would do it if they were not there (speculative transferrence of future guilt).

We have top find some way to make it so the TRUE cost to us, and our communities, is less, rather than all this Big Box Bull.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:48 PM

38,829 posts, read 16,849,135 times
"We have top find some way to make it so the TRUE cost to us, and our communities, is less, rather than all this Big Box Bull."

There is a way. Open your own store and compete.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:10 PM

I don't recall the Mom and Pop stores as "Price gougers" at all way back when. Penny candy was a penny. Now penny candy is 5 cents. If I had a choice of getting an ice cream cone from Wal Mart for 2 dollars, and the same thing at a Cute Mom and Pop store by a pretty lake for 3 bux, I will shell out the xtra dollar. I am willing to pay for a nice atmosphere, and clean air, no oil blobs in the parking lot, no screaming toddlers named Kyle. No announcer cooing over a loudspeaker trying to get me to buy something absurd.

Old 09-02-2009, 05:41 PM

14,523 posts, read 7,677,685 times
Thumbs up Peggy Anne...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peggy Anne View Post
I don't recall the Mom and Pop stores as "Price gougers" at all way back when. Penny candy was a penny. Now penny candy is 5 cents. If I had a choice of getting an ice cream cone from Wal Mart for 2 dollars, and the same thing at a Cute Mom and Pop store by a pretty lake for 3 bux, I will shell out the xtra dollar. I am willing to pay for a nice atmosphere, and clean air, no oil blobs in the parking lot, no screaming toddlers named Kyle. No announcer cooing over a loudspeaker trying to get me to buy something absurd.
Loved this comment! I think it comes back to "you get what you pay for" and that's important to some folks and not so much, to others...

Old 09-02-2009, 11:14 PM

5 posts, read 8,613 times
Citizens have not good resources to go at good shops. They leave far away from city and some have not required money for expensive shopping. So they shopping at Walmart shops.

socially conscious gifts (http://www.greenheartshop.org/c-23-gifts.aspx - broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products