U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-02-2009, 11:17 PM

16,162 posts, read 21,105,876 times

Advertisements

Because they value their nickel more than they value the American economy
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2009, 02:06 AM

1,224 posts, read 3,040,075 times
For things like toilt paper, soap, and other nonperishables I will go to walmart or the dollar store. For vegatables and some meat I will go to Sunflowers for milk,eggs and chees I go to whoever has the best price thta is not walmart ( i have gotten way to much rotten vegies, meat or wahtever from tham) However some people really have no choice, so why make them feel bad about that choice.

Old 09-03-2009, 07:38 AM

20,419 posts, read 38,443,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Because they value their nickel more than they value the American economy

Old 09-03-2009, 08:41 AM

1,482 posts, read 2,798,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
"We have top find some way to make it so the TRUE cost to us, and our communities, is less, rather than all this Big Box Bull."

There is a way. Open your own store and compete.
You know that is not a feasable solution. How would I be able to open up a place, close enough to get the same customer base, and develop contacts to places like China, get the same deals they do because of their favored status (you do not want to pee off your main buyer by selling cheaper to someone else)? - I can't believe that pee, you know the other, is not considered PG....

I know what you are saying, but the stuff they taught us all about Capitalism on the Saturday Morning Cartoons just does not wash in todays world economy.

Old 09-05-2009, 10:06 PM

4,362 posts, read 6,541,783 times
W-mart is considerably less expensive than any other store. Holding their prices down perform a valuable public service that most people fail to realize. They are forcing competitors to keep their prices down. I can't imagine what retail food prices would be without W-mart. W-mart was the first with the $4 prescription and have you noticed how the other pharmacies are following suit?

Old 09-05-2009, 11:26 PM

6,706 posts, read 18,975,420 times
Yes...I shop at Walmart...go there twice a month and what I save in prices pays for my gas both times.

Paid $1.99 for a gal of milk while around the corner from me the price is $1.10 a qt.

What people do not understand is that a name brand company will pkg an item under a different label for a large purchaser like Walmart. They sell their own label and Walmart private label side by side on the shelf. Look at the pkg'ing and see where it says that the product is made for Walmart...same ingredients...different labels off the assembly line. Same old policy in the Grocery trade for over 60 yrs that I'm personally aware after being in the Grocery trade.

The stores like Walmart buy in quantity at a lower price and still have a reasonable mark up while making a profit via volume sales. I gave a comparison either on this thread earlier or on another post.

Steve

Old 09-05-2009, 11:48 PM

7,774 posts, read 13,226,987 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michelleleigh View Post
For things like toilt paper, soap, and other nonperishables I will go to walmart or the dollar store. For vegatables and some meat I will go to Sunflowers for milk,eggs and chees I go to whoever has the best price thta is not walmart ( i have gotten way to much rotten vegies, meat or wahtever from tham) However some people really have no choice, so why make them feel bad about that choice.
I can get meat cheaper anywhere but Walmart. There are some things I'll get out of the meat department ( a slab of beef ribs for between $5 and $6 are good on the grill!) but I can get a better price at the local stores.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 AM

86,093 posts, read 73,640,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by donsabi View Post
W-mart is considerably less expensive than any other store. Holding their prices down perform a valuable public service that most people fail to realize. They are forcing competitors to keep their prices down. I can't imagine what retail food prices would be without W-mart. W-mart was the first with the $4 prescription and have you noticed how the other pharmacies are following suit?
Be very careful of those $4.00 drugs. Walmart has been buying drugs from a company in India that has had numerous problems with the FDA.

Here's a story on it. The bottom of this article has 27 references, most from the FDA itself so please don't let the "anti-Walmart" site cloud your judgement. The FDA links are there to back up this story. There is also a list of the drugs Walmart buys from this company.

WakeUpWalMart.com - Walmart's $4 Drugs Coming From Indian Company Whose Products Have Been Banned In US and Canada (http://www.wakeupwalmart.com/feature/ranbaxy/ - broken link)

Walmart may get their goods cheap..but the old saying goes "you get what you pay for".

Old 09-06-2009, 12:54 PM

5,081 posts, read 13,135,097 times
For over 25 years I had Kaiser, one of the largest and most highly rated HMO's in the country.

Because of my particular employer paid plan, I got all my prescriptions for $1.00.
Many of the drugs came Ranbaxy, the same as Walmart.

Now I fill my prescriptions at Walmart and K-Mart and am thankful for the $4.00 program.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:23 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,569,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabanaki View Post
I live in the city, there are Walmart stores 20 miles away, i could not find a reason to drive that far to shop. It mention regularly here in many CD threads people will drive 30 miles away to shop at Walmart.
Why?.
Good question.
I have never shopped in a Wal-mart. Their negative reputation and controversial issues is enough to keep me disinterested. Plus they are few and far between. Why would I drive past 6 Targets and 4 Kmarts to get to 1 Walmart?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products