Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2013, 01:03 PM

6,987 posts, read 21,868,665 times

Advertisements

Remember that the jar of pickles rolling down the assembly chute goes into a dual labeling machine....same product with two different labels attached....same with many other products Walmart sells.

I was in the Grocery traded for 23 yrs....seen it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2013, 02:49 PM

14,688 posts, read 26,530,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post
Remember that the jar of pickles rolling down the assembly chute goes into a dual labeling machine....same product with two different labels attached....same with many other products Walmart sells.

You know, I've heard this many times but have never believed it and no one has ever been able to show me evidence of it. I'd bet almost any amount of money that I could get my hands on that I can tell the difference between Boar's Head pickles and Wal-Mart brand. Same goes for their knock off cereals and many other items I can think of. Maybe it's true for some products, but not the ones I buy.

I worked in a grocery for several years 20 years ago and still remember lots of the tricks. I always get a smile on my face when I hear someone talk about how the ground beef must be fresh because it is so red.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:18 PM

Red Ground Beef....Yep that's for sure.

Recall decades ago of a mkt that added Tomato Paste to their Ground Beef.......I was in the trade for 23 yrs.

Old 08-13-2013, 04:51 PM

7,316 posts, read 2,731,279 times
I shop at Walmart because it is the only place to shop.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:02 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,868,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Bagu View Post

I found that out years ago when I worked for a janitorial supply company. We got a lot of our cleaning products from Proctor and Gambel. We would send them cases of our own labeled bottles, they'd fill them and send them back. Same stuff they put into the 'name brand' bottles to go to the stores.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:05 PM

260 posts, read 336,876 times
I was also in the grocery trade both in-store and corporate. I can say that there will never be a reason I'd shop at Walmart.

Walmart pre- and post Sam Walton are two completely different animals. Their post-Sam Walton business practices are deplorable. Walton was proud of America and built Walmart so that people in rural areas could have all of their product needs met in one place, at a fair price while supporting the communities they are part of. He is rolling over in his grave as they have forced most of their suppliers to go overseas to make their products now, putting many American workers out of jobs. And to compete - many companies have had to follow in their footsteps over the last 20 years.

And the Walton heirs are some of the richest people in the world yet so many of their employees don't have health insurance. Would it kill them to take just one of their many billions and give it back so their employees can be covered?

I refuse to subsidize this kind of business, even if I have to pay more for what I want. Sometimes money isn't everything.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:23 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,868,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VistaCat View Post
I was also in the grocery trade both in-store and corporate. I can say that there will never be a reason I'd shop at Walmart.

Walmart pre- and post Sam Walton are two completely different animals. Their post-Sam Walton business practices are deplorable. Walton was proud of America and built Walmart so that people in rural areas could have all of their product needs met in one place, at a fair price while supporting the communities they are part of. He is rolling over in his grave as they have forced most of their suppliers to go overseas to make their products now, putting many American workers out of jobs. And to compete - many companies have had to follow in their footsteps over the last 20 years.

And the Walton heirs are some of the richest people in the world yet so many of their employees don't have health insurance. Would it kill them to take just one of their many billions and give it back so their employees can be covered?

I refuse to subsidize this kind of business, even if I have to pay more for what I want. Sometimes money isn't everything.
I get so tired of reading/hearing things like this. It just isn't true! If Walmart employees don't have health insurance it's because THEY opt out themselves, NOT that it isn't available. Every Oct./Nov. EVERY employee has to go into the office and fill out the forms to either accept or not accept it. And that goes for part time as well as full time. They ALL have the opportunity so if they aren't covered blame them, not the company.

Walmart didn't start the buying from overseas bandwagon. Even when I was a little kid I can remember seeing things made in Japan/China/etc. and I haven't been a "little kid" for many decades. Yes, it's gotten more prevalent but Walmart didn't start it.

Old 08-13-2013, 05:54 PM

1,073 posts, read 1,789,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bs13690 View Post
You know, I've heard this many times but have never believed it and no one has ever been able to show me evidence of it. I'd bet almost any amount of money that I could get my hands on that I can tell the difference between Boar's Head pickles and Wal-Mart brand. Same goes for their knock off cereals and many other items I can think of. Maybe it's true for some products, but not the ones I buy.

I worked in a grocery for several years 20 years ago and still remember lots of the tricks. I always get a smile on my face when I hear someone talk about how the ground beef must be fresh because it is so red.
It is indeed true. A family member worked at a facility where food products were packaged and different companies paid to have their respective store brand or national brand labels put on them. Don't know about pickles, but other items, yes.

Old 08-13-2013, 07:36 PM

15,994 posts, read 20,986,750 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I get so tired of reading/hearing things like this. It just isn't true! If Walmart employees don't have health insurance it's because THEY opt out themselves, NOT that it isn't available. Every Oct./Nov. EVERY employee has to go into the office and fill out the forms to either accept or not accept it. And that goes for part time as well as full time. They ALL have the opportunity so if they aren't covered blame them, not the company.

Walmart didn't start the buying from overseas bandwagon. Even when I was a little kid I can remember seeing things made in Japan/China/etc. and I haven't been a "little kid" for many decades. Yes, it's gotten more prevalent but Walmart didn't start it.
I think it's more along the line of many walmart workers are paid so little they cannot afford the insurance walmart offers and still meet their other bills too. The company I work for is starting down that same path, hours are being cut drastically and few people get a full forty hour week now, raises all but eliminated, positions being replaced with lower paying titles for basically the same job, all in the chase after the almighty profit for 'investors'.
I figure after another year or two when my raise doesn't nearly keep up with COL I may join those people who decide the mortgage and groceries come before health insurance premiums.
This from a company whose CEO was given a bonus package that earns him double in a single day what our average minimum wage worker earns in a year. Vilify, maybe, but sometimes entirely justified to do so.

Old 08-13-2013, 09:12 PM

I only gave the pickles as an example.

I was the owner (self started) of a Inventory Service that specialized in doing Inventories of Grocery Stores and Liquor Stores. Was talking to the owner of one Mkt while he was in the Liquor Dept.

A salesman showed the owner a bottle (5th) of whiskey that had the same ingredients as a name brand on the shelf.

The company would attach a Private label of the store owners choice to the bottles to be sold.

Requirement was that a specific number of cases...Qts, 5ths, Pints and 1/2 Pints had to be purchased.

The purchase was to be a Low cost purchase such that the name brand that sold on the shelf for $3.99 a 5th the Private Label would be $3.39 a 5th.

I am using approximate Price numbers here for description purposes only.

Different items like Coffee, Laundry Soap, in the past were commonly packaged under a Chain Stores name or private brand Labels.

My experience was in the past while the practice is still around today.

All one has to do is read the label that will show the contents were supplied by a supplier for the Store selling the item.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products