U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-09-2009, 08:31 PM

16,308 posts, read 25,271,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Asheville Native, I've deleted credit cards from my Paypal account and then added them back later -- with no problem at all.
I've seen that also, but the expiration date was different, which pp allows it to be reused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 PM

Paypal limits spending with a valid credit card unless you give them access to your checking account. WHY???????????? If the cc company approves the transaction, i.e. not over limit, etc., then pp has no rights to my checking account.

This is from their agreement:
Quote:
U.S. Users. You need to have a credit card or confirmed bank account with PayPal before you can send any payments. American Express has decided to decline PayPal credit card transactions that are funded with an American Express Corporate Card. As a result, any attempts to register or use an American Express Corporate Card will be denied. Once you confirm an email address and add a credit card, you are limited to a total of $2,000.00 USD of spending. Some accounts, at PayPal's discretion, may have a lower limit. Some transactions, at PayPal's discretion, may not apply towards the limit. Your Sending Limit is denominated in U.S. Dollars. All foreign currency payments will reduce your Sending Limit by the equivalent U.S. Dollar amount. Once you become Verified by confirming your bank account, your Sending Limit will be lifted.
Outrageous

Old 09-09-2009, 08:37 PM

15,244 posts, read 20,198,407 times
Well, Asheville Native, it's apparent you dont care for Paypal. I love it. Fortunately for me, more and more merchants are offering Paypal -- and fortunately for you, there are still other ways to pay online.

Old 09-09-2009, 11:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasfirewheel View Post
Well, Asheville Native, it's apparent you dont care for Paypal. I love it. Fortunately for me, more and more merchants are offering Paypal -- and fortunately for you, there are still other ways to pay online.
Good luck with them, hope you don't find yourself posting on "I've been screwed by PP blogs" cause they are a bunch of them out there.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:18 AM

15,244 posts, read 20,198,407 times
In the past 8-9 years, I've used Paypal at least 3,500 times (no exaggeration). I wont be griping about it anywhere.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:10 PM

38,690 posts, read 90,197,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemyroses View Post
I am getting ready to launch a store on Etsy.com. I will be using PayPal for payment. Can those who have sold items on Ebay, etc., tell me if you have had any problems with payers using PayPal and what they were.
Would you suggest opening a PayPal account at a bank other than the one you normally bank at?
Thanks for your help!!!
Volume sellers have complained that PayPal is too "pro-buyer" in disputes and will take the buyer's payment back out of your account and refund it to a buyer with little or no investigation of the veracity of the buyer's complaint. I don't know if that's still the case, but it's something to look into.

Old 09-11-2009, 01:12 PM

38,690 posts, read 90,197,354 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
Good luck with them, hope you don't find yourself posting on "I've been screwed by PP blogs" cause they are a bunch of them out there.
It's usually sellers complaining, not buyers.

Old 09-12-2009, 09:50 PM

42,663 posts, read 75,401,683 times
Yes, open PayPal with a different bank. If a customer protests a transaction through PayPal, your bank can freeze your entire account until it is resolved.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:36 PM

4,396 posts, read 11,580,106 times
I have around 600 transactions on Ebay and I have used Paypal on everyone of them. A couple of months ago I purchased and item and the seller never ship it. I sent many emails and none of them were answered. This seller had over 4,000 transactions with a 99% excellent feedback. I contacted Paypal and my money was refunded in 10 days. My guess is the seller never responded to there request so they removed the money from the seller's account. I understand why no one would want to release there checking acct information. If you are a seller and you decide not to accept Paypal you have removed 60% of your potential customers. What do you do.

Old 09-12-2009, 10:43 PM

746 posts, read 3,206,325 times
I have used Paypal since they first began, as both a seller and a buyer. I like them. Five years ago, I had a small amount frozen until a dispute was resolved. It was resolved in my favor since I had the simple documentation they required to confirm delivery of the item. The buyer was trying to rip me off but did not succeed.

I have racked up 1,200 transactions as a seller, with that one problem which goes with the territory of being an eBay seller. I have their debit card as well, and use it for purchases, as well as keeping a balance in my Paypal for my own purchases.

Some people who may not have a lot of real life business experience get quite exercised over some of Paypal's policies, but having grown alongside eBay which is a world unto itself, they have evolved policies that work well for the online age. For several years there were several million dollar scams run against Paypal, with both sellers and buyers as victims, and the current policies are their answer to keeping honest sellers and buyers safe.

I found having my basic checking account tied to my Paypal account makes buying, selling, and transferring money back and forth very fluid and trouble free. So yes, I recommend Paypal. If you want to use a little extra caution as you get your feet wet with them, that is understandable. Your comfort level and confidence are important too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products