U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-05-2009, 05:52 AM

739 posts, read 947,306 times

Advertisements

I'm looking to purchase a shortwave radio but I'm not sure which one. Preferably one that's less than $100.
I've looked at what I could find on shortwave sites and I've read some reviews. But I'm still a bit confused.
I'd like one that will pick up police reports.
Basically I'd like one that I can use to be informed of what's going on in case of some kind of global emergency (if that makes any sense.) And to pick up broadcasts that aren't on the regular airwaves.
Thank you for any help on pointing me in the right direction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2009, 02:19 AM

11,544 posts, read 26,374,342 times
I think what you are looking for is a four-band radio. I doubt that you will find a really good one for under 100 dollars. Plus you will need a pretty good tower and antenna if you want to pick up international. Radio Shack knows as much about short wave and bandwidth as any place I ever shopped.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:40 AM

10,753 posts, read 18,010,478 times
If by "police reports" you mean listening to police radio activity, most departments (in the US anyway) are going or have gone digital, you need a digital reciever to listen to them, no way you'll find one in that price range, digital scanners start around $300 or so if that gives you an idea.

Old 09-07-2009, 01:20 PM

3,160 posts, read 8,216,358 times
Yeah, what you're describing is really two different radios.

A shortwave radio will pick up international broadcasts and can be had for under $100. At that price point, you're going to sacrifice features, but there are quite a few models that will give you decent reception. I've found the best place to look for reviews is Amazon.com. One problem with shortwave, though, is that it's kind of a dying medium. There's still some interesting stuff out there, but much of the band is filled with religious broadcasters or propaganda from nations like Cuba.

For police reports, you most likely need a digital scanner as NHDave indicates, and that's going to cost you considerably more.

Old 09-07-2009, 02:57 PM

19,137 posts, read 19,981,489 times
Might want to ask over in the sci & tech forum.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/science-technology/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products