U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 02:01 PM

1,482 posts, read 2,797,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Considering that WALMART has done more damage to the US economy than Osama could dream of, I will do without rather than shop there

Um, he dreams of harming the economy?

Seriously?

C'maaaahn Bpa!!!! You are allowed to criticise the man, but leave the empty generalizations to Sarah!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 03:01 PM

19,107 posts, read 19,968,117 times
Did you mean Osama Bin Laden?

Old 10-22-2009, 04:10 PM

I hope he did.

See, I misread the post!!! CURSE YOU SUBLIMINAL MESSAGING!!!!!!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:38 AM

10,664 posts, read 8,074,580 times
OMG
I have seen people badly dressed in walmart (strange choice of colors or wrong size) but there is a really incredible bunch of people in need of a makeover in these pictures! I can't believe they are all real. I'm sure some pictures have been made on purpose by a bunch of fun-makers. Come on!

Old 10-23-2009, 09:43 AM

5,008 posts, read 7,952,109 times
I worked in a courthouse for almost five years, so you see a lot of the same type of "Walmart" styles there. Just completely off the wall.

I shop at Walmart because the prices are cheap and I live in an expensive city. If people don't like me or look down on me because I shop at Walmart, that's fine. I don't recall anyone offering to help me pay my bills.

If people gossip because I shop at Walmart, I think I would laugh out loud to know that. There are bigger things in life...much bigger...

Old 10-23-2009, 09:44 AM

10,664 posts, read 8,074,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
I think I'd rather shop at Wal-Mart among their supposedly slack-jawed unwashed patrons than to shop wherever elitist, judgmental creeps shop.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I worked in a courthouse for almost five years, so you see a lot of the same type of "Walmart" styles there. Just completely off the wall.

Yep! You should see teh guy that rides his bike up and down Washington street dressed like Batman.

I kid you not!

Quote:
I shop at Walmart because the prices are cheap and I live in an expensive city. If people don't like me or look down on me because I shop at Walmart, that's fine. I don't recall anyone offering to help me pay my bills.
Nobody is blaming you for that. The only thing many ask is that if there IS an option, even if it is slightly more expensive, try and use it. The reason being, WM generally does not re-invest in the communities it is in. The salaries are bad and its general buisness model almost belies its "family friendly" commercial blitz.

Quote:
If people gossip because I shop at Walmart, I think I would laugh out loud to know that. There are bigger things in life...much bigger...
Nobody gossips about it, unless you were a famous politician or a labor law proponent. You aren't, are you?

Suffice to say, it is best if you try and limit your time and $$ there. SOme companies offer the same or similar services but just try and give more back to the community (CostCo vs. BJ's for example). If some of the money may be going to the people working the floor, or even back into your neighborhood, wouldn't you be more likely to spend that extra 3 cents per roll of paper towels? (BTW, like I said before, sale watching at Shop Rite I get cheaper prices than WalMart, always.)

Old 10-23-2009, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sudcaro View Post
OMG
I have seen people badly dressed in walmart (strange choice of colors or wrong size) but there is a really incredible bunch of people in need of a makeover in these pictures! I can't believe they are all real. I'm sure some pictures have been made on purpose by a bunch of fun-makers. Come on!
They are real.

In a similar analogy, nothing naturally ferments to the degree that you get Whiskey, you have to distill it to get it that strong.

Same here. There are SO MANY people out there, we are only seeing the "Award Winners" of the OMGWT#BBQ contest.

And they just HAPPEN to shop at Wal Mart. I think you wuold find similar people at 7-11 at 3am. It is just a natural hunting ground for some of these folks.

BTW, if you think that is unusual, come to NYC, where the people concentration is so large, you see more of these people out and about. Maybe not as many "cuttoffs so short you see the pocket" or "Mullet kings", but still.....

Old 10-23-2009, 10:28 AM

5,008 posts, read 7,952,109 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post

Nobody gossips about it, unless you were a famous politician or a labor law proponent. You aren't, are you?
I'm nobody famous; I'm speaking in reference to other Walmart threads where the posters claim that people in their towns speak in whispers about the fact that they shop at Walmart.

Quote:
Suffice to say, it is best if you try and limit your time and $$ there. SOme companies offer the same or similar services but just try and give more back to the community (CostCo vs. BJ's for example). If some of the money may be going to the people working the floor, or even back into your neighborhood, wouldn't you be more likely to spend that extra 3 cents per roll of paper towels? (BTW, like I said before, sale watching at Shop Rite I get cheaper prices than WalMart, always.)
I shop at Costco sometimes but I don't have a garage presently to stockpile goods like my elderly parents do. Also it's just me and the boyfriend, so we don't need a lot of the things they sell in bulk at Costco.

Where I live I have never seen a "Shop Rite" store in my life. Must be an East Coast specialty.

I'm middle class in an affluent area. I work 40 hours a week and attend school at night. I have to clean my own house and pay my own bills and shop for my own groceries. So I tend to purchase groceries at Albertson's, Trader Joe's or Fresh and Easy. And buy the toiletries and household goods at Walmart.

Plus I'm not going to buy shower soap at a Rite Aid or a CVS (maybe you don't have those out where you live) for 8$ when I can get the exact same product at 5$ at Walmart.

And blame my parents - they moved here in the 50s from Chicago, Illinois. They wanted some place warmer. So I grew up here and I shop according to what is best for me in the place I live.

Old 10-23-2009, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket_factor View Post
I'm nobody famous; I'm speaking in reference to other Walmart threads where the posters claim that people in their towns speak in whispers about the fact that they shop at Walmart.
I dunno. I have never really heard of whispers. Then again, east coast they usually come out and TELL you!!

Quote:
I shop at Costco sometimes but I don't have a garage presently to stockpile goods like my elderly parents do. Also it's just me and the boyfriend, so we don't need a lot of the things they sell in bulk at Costco.
We have the same problem. Every few months we go and pick up things liek Splenda, dried fruit and the like. Living in Hoboken we have VERY LITTLE space. Almost all of it is living space!!!

Quote:
Where I live I have never seen a "Shop Rite" store in my life. Must be an East Coast specialty.
It is a supermarket. I am sure there are others that would give WalMart a run for the money, unless they have been driven out of buisness... (they have been known to offer special discounts in some areas to help "encourage" people to switch.... until there is no competition....)

Quote:
I'm middle class in an affluent area. I work 40 hours a week and attend school at night. I have to clean my own house and pay my own bills and shop for my own groceries. So I tend to purchase groceries at Albertson's, Trader Joe's or Fresh and Easy. And buy the toiletries and household goods at Walmart.
Decent enough. I am not looking for you to qualify everything, although TJ's is a bit expensive (it does have some good specialty items though).

Quote:
Plus I'm not going to buy shower soap at a Rite Aid or a CVS (maybe you don't have those out where you live) for 8$ when I can get the exact same product at 5$ at Walmart.
I never buy at those places unless they have a sale.

I have gotten Honey Bunches of Oats (Medium box) for less than $2 on sale sometimes. Otherwise it is Shop Rite or CostCo!

Quote:
And blame my parents - they moved here in the 50s from Chicago, Illinois. They wanted some place warmer. So I grew up here and I shop according to what is best for me in the place I live.
Meh. I don't see the 100% correlation just based on climate, but I have a feeling you are saying somethnig more (such as availability).

The key here is not to have people going out and raising their own chickens to provide their family food, or deliberately going 20 miles out of the way to make a statement, but rather to encourage passive pressure on stores like Wal Mart to change their policy so that the net return of customer satisfaction and support outweighs their net cost of offering better service to the people that work for them and the places they set up shop.

And that is what makes it hard to speak for. It is easy to stay 100% on one side or another, but to lean gets really difficult when you have people constantly pulling at you from both extremes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products