Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-19-2009, 02:21 PM

1,482 posts, read 3,125,492 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindsey_Mcfarren View Post
Whatever you have to say about Walmart, check out their business side of things, the money they make AND the very low prices they can give to their customers. The fact that they have ALOT of $4 perscription medications.

Read about their profits, read about how many different countries they are in.

The more whining that goes on, the more ignorant the poster looks.

There are Walmarts all over the world.

If you think your too good to be in a Walmart, then by all means, don't go. It will make it nicer for the rest of us.
You need to read a bit more and see that the money them make off of "the rest of us" never sees the light of day in your neighborhood again.

But that is another topic. This is just talking about the rubes b00bs and idjits that have been spotted at Whale-Mart.

YMMV.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2009, 03:04 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninjahedge View Post
Um....

There is a subtle, but noticable difference between turning your nose up and being forced to hold it.

Not all people fit an "us or them" categorization.
Tell it to the OP. Just as he's glad to put Wal-Mart shoppers into the "them" category versus his "us," I'm perfectly glad to put unrepentant classist snobs in a "them" category versus my "us." He and his fellow travelers (perhaps you among them?) can go shop at Doucheworth's every day for all I care. At least I'll on notice where not to shop.

Old 10-19-2009, 03:08 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,687,243 times
In parts of Arizona, if you can't see another WALMART from the WALMART you are at, you're lost. I can't understand how people who shop there don't think they look like illegals

Old 10-19-2009, 08:12 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
Quote:
You need to read a bit more and see that the money them make off of "the rest of us" never sees the light of day in your neighborhood again.

But that is another topic. This is just talking about the rubes b00bs and idjits that have been spotted at Whale-Mart.

YMMV.
No I do not find that to be true. i am in a area hit by two hurricanes. two super wal-marts were damaged. Wal-mart had their gas pumps going on generator and agve the gas to fisrt respoeners free. they also setup a mobile pharmacy on one of the parking lots and gave prescriptions free to anyone. Before Rita we had evacutees from New orleans here. Wal-mart supplied the food to local chruches who provdied the poratble kitchens.Local officals got the kids enrolled in local schools and wal-mart supplied school uniforms and all their school suppies to them. They also were there first with ice for both storms. Wal-mart and lowes who furnishished anything first respnders need from washing machine ;lrefigerators to materials whre both great neighbors and there way before FEMA or the red cross. In a nearby town that was flooding during IKe with 8 foot of water wal-mart was right there again. They supplied the food and church groups from all over setup and supplied two meals a day to anyone that came up. Wal-mart is a good neighbor as I and others in this area learned.

Old 10-20-2009, 04:25 PM

8,777 posts, read 19,852,893 times
Quote:
Um....

There is a subtle, but noticable difference between turning your nose up and being forced to hold it.
I agree.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Tell it to the OP. Just as he's glad to put Wal-Mart shoppers into the "them" category versus his "us," I'm perfectly glad to put unrepentant classist snobs in a "them" category versus my "us." He and his fellow travelers (perhaps you among them?) can go shop at Doucheworth's every day for all I care. At least I'll on notice where not to shop.
Your comment does nothing but insult. You will not change anyones opinion by doing so, and you might even embarras some of the people you consider to be part of your "us".

Simple fact is, besides an all night 7-11, you will be hard pressed to find a stranger bunch of peeps coming out to shop than a late night Wal Mart congregation.

We are not talking upper eschelon as comparison, but simply "normal".

Sometimes it is not an insult when people call you an idiot for having a chicken on your head.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
No I do not find that to be true. i am in a area hit by two hurricanes. two super wal-marts were damaged. Wal-mart had their gas pumps going on generator and agve the gas to fisrt respoeners free. they also setup a mobile pharmacy on one of the parking lots and gave prescriptions free to anyone. Before Rita we had evacutees from New orleans here. Wal-mart supplied the food to local chruches who provdied the poratble kitchens.Local officals got the kids enrolled in local schools and wal-mart supplied school uniforms and all their school suppies to them. They also were there first with ice for both storms. Wal-mart and lowes who furnishished anything first respnders need from washing machine ;lrefigerators to materials whre both great neighbors and there way before FEMA or the red cross. In a nearby town that was flooding during IKe with 8 foot of water wal-mart was right there again. They supplied the food and church groups from all over setup and supplied two meals a day to anyone that came up. Wal-mart is a good neighbor as I and others in this area learned.
It does not help to lose your customers entirely.

You do need to read more. Seriously. If they are so ready to sell you (BTW, the stores were reimbursed with FEMA claims) things to get you going, why are they so reluctant to let people work 40 hours and get some simple full time benefits? Do prices matter so much to them they are willing to sell short some of the people they sell to?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:07 PM

38,707 posts, read 103,138,905 times
Quote:
Your comment does nothing but insult. You will not change anyones opinion by doing so, and you might even embarras some of the people you consider to be part of your "us".
The whole premise of this thread is insulting, and I don't waste time trying to reason with unreasonable twits. Sometimes insult in kind is all that is warranted.

Run along now, there's a 15% off sale at Snobbington's.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
The whole premise of this thread is insulting, and I don't waste time trying to reason with unreasonable twits. Sometimes insult in kind is all that is warranted.
But it was not unilateral. You turned it into it.

You are biased and bigoted. Looking for a fight. You are not looking to change anything, so something else must be bothering you in life. I would suggest finding that and fixing that before "treating" the rest of the internet community with your vitriol.

Quote:
Run along now, there's a 15% off sale at Snobbington's.
That isn't even funny. Hell, that isn't even a pun.

Last edited by Ninjahedge; 10-21-2009 at 08:05 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 08:00 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,312,752 times
People think I'm snobbish because I don't shop at WM, but the reality is that I'm not and I don't.

I do spend more on groceries- I shop at WF, or other organic-type places. I don't buy convenience foods, I buy natural products and cook. While WM does sell some organics, they don't have the variety I want.

I don't buy 'stuff'. If I need a bakepan, I use what I have, or I go to Goodwill. Seriously.

I don't buy a ton of clothes. I buy good quality from Nordstrom or online on sale, and it lasts forever. I knit and sew, so I can make practically anything.

For gardening, I buy from a local nursery, which gives me good info about the plants and local conditions- that helps me spend less and not waste money on plants that won't grow here.

See?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Shopping and Consumer Products